X-Wing: The Best Star Wars Books

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

X-Wing: The Best Star Wars Books

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:32 am

So there's an article over on io9 where the author suggests that the X-Wing series is THE best piece of Expanded Universe literature.

I actually find it VERY hard to argue against him, though Zahn edges it out for me. Starfighters of Adumar is certainly THE collectively funniest Star Wars story EVER. I mean the situations Wedge, Tycho, Hobbie, and Janson end up in make it just a cover-to-cover Crowning Moment of Funny (though the Lieutenant Kettch gag in the Wraith books is probably the single funniest moment in the entire franchise).

Seriously, so long as Disney insists on milking the cow dry, how can they NOT realize just how much bank they'd make on an X-Wing film?

Omega_Trust
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Omega_Trust » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:09 pm

I really don't get the love for the Zahn books. Sure he had a couple of good characters, but I didn't find the actual material to be terribly interesting at all. As much love as Thrawn gets he just strikes me as incredibly cliche as far as intelligent villains go.

I think they largely benefit from being the first major addition to the Star Wars lore before the major expanded universe push.

I'm pretty much in the camp that the X-Wing series of books was without question the best addition to the EU. All that said I'm personally glad the EU has been thrown out the window.

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:42 pm

I disagree. As much as I love the Wraith Squadron books, the Stackpole ones leave a lot to be desired. Corran Horn being a main reason, and Isard being woefully incompetent the other.

I also don't get the hate for the New Jedi Order series. You can only fight Imperials/Sith that often before it gets absolutely boring. The Yuuzhan Vong made a refreshing change, not only because they were completely new, but also because the scales were upped. Sure, the Empire was bad, but considering to what the galaxy would have looked like under the Vong, it was paradise. NJO also had brilliant characters, development and so, so many epic moments.
I mean, this is just my experience, a lot of people who claim to hate the Vong and NJO are the same ones who've never read the books. Go figure.

As for the Thrawn Trilogy, it still ranks up there. Thrawn was an absolutely brilliant villain and, in my opnion, had nothing cliche about him. Quite the opposite. Look at the current villains for Episode 7. A dark sider with a red lightsaber and an Imperial officer who builds superweapons. Because we've never had that before.
The one thing I dislike about Thrawn, is what Zahn did with him after the Hand of Thrawn trilogy.

Overall, my ranking would be:
1.) The New Jedi Order
2.) The Thrawn trilogy
3.) The Wraith Squadron/Allston books.

It's not that the others are bad, but they're just not amazing either.