The Force Awakens discussion thread (spoilers)

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Re: The Force Awakens discussion thread (spoilers)

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:16 am

Haha yeah, analize the crap out of it :P

"Artoo woke up because BB-8 told him he was there with the rest of the map when they "meet" before the attack on Starkiller Base. It just took him all that time to wake up again."

hahaha, poor R2... he must have been tired.

Trev

Marcos_Edson
XWAU Member

Post by Marcos_Edson » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:53 am

Tuskin wrote:The Sound FX when Poe is firing his torpedoes inside the oscillator sounds so familiar, I can't place it. I think it is from another Star Wars production.
They remind me of the walkers firing in TESB... :? And on the "trench run" sequence, some weapons seem to have Trade Federation guns sounds... :? :?
SETI
"There can be only one..."
"I'm an otaku! Have a problem with that?"

TheMidi-ChlorianHoax
Cadet 4th Class

Post by TheMidi-ChlorianHoax » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:05 pm

Probably J.J. Abrams once again trying to make up for his complete lack of creativity by filling the movie with references to the other movies, in this case by recycling sounds.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:41 pm

Plus the whole plot of the film, very disappointing, the whole story of The Force Awakens, is just revamped scenes from the 3 original films
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:38 pm

X2, and don't get me started on the whole scrapping of the EU (while understand for scrapping it AFTER the battle the endor, but before it ? the hell ? I would rather them to do a movie on kyle katarn rather than redoing the whole thing in the upcoming "rogue one" movie) and the Mary sue that Rey is(even Anakin needed training to use his power consciously, before that he was restricted to using them unconsciously, such as his reflex while piloting or his instincts).

The premise is not bad, but the execution is severly lacking.....

Basically, people were complaning about George Lucas when he owned the franchise, and I can say that we will see way worse with disney
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:40 pm

X2, and don't get me started on the whole scrapping of the EU and the Mary sue that Rey is.
Hmm? What do you mean?

I liked it with George at the helm, The only critisism I have of his direction was to direct Star Wars toward children. I loved Eps 1-3 but they could have used a little more violence and conviction when troopers and jedi were fighting.
Its not as thogh the jedi were killing anyone, they were just destroying machines, the clones however are loosing lives.

Ive been watching that clone wars series, pretty good actually except for one major flaw... Anakin is NOT a master...
Also, it would have been better if the original cast repriesed their roles. While most dialoge is very similar, some parts fall short.

Trev

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:44 pm

Darksaber wrote:Plus the whole plot of the film, very disappointing, the whole story of The Force Awakens, is just revamped scenes from the 3 original films
I kinda agree and kinda don't.

Part of the issue, I think, is that you're not given the context which is that the Republic is the big government in the galaxy, the First Order is basically North Korea with nukes and the Resistance are sort of like a CIA backed rebellion inside First Order Space. I, for one, can buy into the Imperials doubling down and basically just going BIGGER because of their military doctrine of Rule through Fear.

So, yeah, the Imps built another Planet Killer and the Rebels blew it up with X-wings but the over-arching plot is very different. Essentially what the First Order did was more similar to what Luke did with his torpedoes in ANH, rather than what Tarkin did with the Death Star.

The Republic government is GONE and so is the fleet, but the First Order isn't the Empier - they don't have the men or materials to actually take over the entire galaxy at that point, so basically what they've done is set off a big bomb and caused intergalactic chaos and now they've got to punch the Republic again before it can recover.
1st Lt Sigurd "BattleDog" Stormhand, Assigned Corsair Squadron, Renegade Wing, CRS Vigilant.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:29 am

I have to disagree with you DS. Not because I don't think TFA referenced the stories of the prior films — quite the opposite, in fact, as it's quite evident that it did. What I disagree with is that I believe those similarities are exactly why the movie WORKS.

Star Wars has always drawn on two primary sources: The film serials of the 1930s/40s, and universal human mythology. That's a BIG part of why the original film resonated so deeply; the themes, conflicts, and story are VERY deeply rooted in what it is to BE human, and even the original film didn't tell a story that hasn't already been told thousands of times before. Mythology is also cyclical, and with TFA mirroring and putting its slight spin on those aspects of the original film, it fits perfectly within that cyclical mold.

And sorry, Rookie, but Rey IS NOT a Mary Sue. It's implied within the film that she's able to do what she did because she had some past training that was subsequently blocked out. This is made more explicit in the novelization, in which it's stated OUTRIGHT that Kylo Ren's attempt to break her mind instead unintentionally released those blocks on her powers. Furthermore, she's NOT an author-insert. She's NOT automatically better than everyone at everything she does (I reference you to 9 year-old Anakin, the only human who was ever CAPABLE of piloting a podracer. And that's RIGHT IN THE FILM). She doesn't hit ANY of the criteria for a Mary Sue by any definition.

DTM
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by DTM » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:12 am

I don’t know what to think about this movie. The quality of scenes, directing, special effects, the actors ... everything is perfect, very well balanced. BUT also I have many doubts about the plot and some stylistic choices. I think my disappointment comes from the fact that you do not see anything new. The story begins on a planet that is identical to Tatooine, but it is not Tatoine. At the end they blow up a space station with the same strategy used for the Death Star, but it is not the Death Star. Meanwhile the villains destroyed a planet, equal to Couruscant, but it is not Couruscant. Good hiding in a secret base, which is about to be destroyed, as Yavin IV, but is not Yavin IV (indeed it is less characteristic of Yavin IV). The fate of the galaxy is kept in the memory of an astromech droid, cute as R2, but it’s not R2 (although it is very well done).
In short, a good movie, but with little imagination. I think there is more "sense of wonder" in any episode of Clone Wars, or Rebels: in these TV shows, each new planet is unique and unmistakable. If only they had given another color to the sand of Jakku, or had characterized the desert with something special...
Hopefully in the next movie you see the most original things.

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:32 am

I think a better plot would been like a race for time to stop the Empire/First Order from causing a sun to go supernova taking out the core Republic planets orbiting it. Maybe loosing a few adjacent planets with forced sun flares... something new and original. See what the SSD Finalizer could have done.

Also, now that the Republic's central govt. is gone and chaos resumes, this would be ripe for a story of the resurrection of the Trade Federation vying for power against First Order and Resistance or some mix. Only this time, a more wicked and scary battle droids with IQ's greater than 20, and not goofy. Directors/storywriters need to put the scare/sitting on the edge of your seat, plots back into films again.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:04 am

Sorry but the TF concept was utterly ruined by the Prequels. It's going to be nearly impossible to take seriously, now.

I'd rather see something more akin to the Republic reacting much like the Allied powers did in the aftermath of the Pearl Harbor raid, when Japan began its earnest offensives through the Indies, Philippines, and the China-Burma-India theater. Remnants of the Republic military and militias under siege Flying Tigers/Cactus Air Force-style, with the handful of remaining warships launching hit-and-run attacks while the Republic attempts to rebuild its fleet and reestablish the government. We'll probably see the Republic survivors either formally absorbing or otherwise coordinating with the Resistance, as well.

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:52 pm

I think Leia's going to be a shue-in for Chancellor, frankly.

Sadly Admiral Ackbar will not be present to direct the Fleet.
1st Lt Sigurd "BattleDog" Stormhand, Assigned Corsair Squadron, Renegade Wing, CRS Vigilant.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:15 pm

Im with DTM on this, Good movie, but its just a facelift of Episode IV. Everything is the "same" but not.
The only extras it has is that Han and leia have a kid, and he kills Han.

Where is Yoda and Obi-Wan?

From what I have learned from the Canonical source of the Clone Wars, the final episode shows Yoda being told about life in the force after death, one major concept is that it is "Timeless", this would mean that Yoda or even Qui-Gon could come back to help Rey and others.

The big problem I have with the re-cycling of the Plot from EpIV is that its illogical for the first order to do what they did. But, it wouldnt be the first time a leader failed to read his history books.

Trev