Starship cockpit opts

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Starship cockpit opts

Shadowwolf
Recruit

Post by Shadowwolf » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:33 am

Hey board, I am so very happy playing x-wing alliance with the new updates, but I was wondering do any of you think that you will ever make some cockpit opts for the starships?

I love playing as fighters and bombers and such, but I also like to arrange a fleet battle with say 6 Dreadnoughts vs a Star Destroyer, and such.

They really wouldn't need be a unique one per ship, just a generic one for all of them.

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:22 pm

I'd have to say that when it comes to questions like this generally the answer around here is "build it yourself" or "no".

You could pick up blender, gimp and a few texturing/modeling tutorials and try to do it yourself, realistically. A cockpit actually isn't too bad a place to start since you don't need any real opting configuration other than the XYZ coordinates. All of the work is in the modeling and texturing.

I've always wanted to do some of the shuttles and transports for obvious reasons, and a generic ISD bridge just because, but motivation has been nil.

I'm currently working on developing a heavy fighter, but I'm getting stuck on the UV mapping + Texturing phase between getting a decent UV map, decent textures and actually getting it into optech without any issues. I'm doing this because I want to make my own opts, but my skills are limited and I may never really have much to show for my efforts, that being said I'm trying. And learning. And slowly improving. And I've found out that really, it's not that hard, it's just like any other learned talent. It just takes time and patience. The right tools help too.

The model building actually isn't that hard, just take your idea and hit up youtube for blender tutorials and play around building simple stuff for a few weeks till you get the hang of the basic tool functions, then start designing something. It's not going to be great, or even super detailed and you're probably going to hate most of your attempts at first, but after a few dozen redesigns you'll start realizing you actually have improved after you compare your efforts side by side.

That being said, people here aren't entirely unwilling to help you out, but mainly in the form of advice, and occasionally tweak things if they have time provided you've done the bulk of the work.

But YOU want to see something done, you're responsible for making it happen.

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:59 pm

I have been trying around with cockpits for starships in the past, although only for my original creations. I have added included cockpit versions to both my GT-5000 Yacht series and my CSX-600 Corvette and both work fine

However:

With past tryouts there are certain issues with cockpits for bigger ships. The bigger a ship gets, the further away from the center the cockpit will move. This results in the cockpit mesh becoming more and more jittery upon steering the further you move it away from the center. For example, if you'd try to pilot an ISD you will experience what looks like a small earthquake, when you try to turn the ship. I presume this has to do with the engine's limits in number length. It may even have been fixed with JeremyaFR's fixes, not sure of that.
One other issue is that when hit it will still behave like a small craft, so every hit will be a loud smash paired with a nasty rumble of the controller, even if the hit is a mile away from you and somewhat insignifficant. Also, since capships will take a lot of hits due to their size you will constantly be bombarded by accoustic, visual and force feedback whitch made me personally come off the idea of adding cockpits to anything bigger than a small frigate.
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

Shadowwolf
Recruit

Post by Shadowwolf » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:04 am

hmm thanks for the replies, I may try my hand with making one, If I do I'll show what I come up with. Thanks though for the advice.

Shadow