Rogue One Trailer dropped

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Re: Rogue One Trailer dropped

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Tue May 03, 2016 4:07 pm

58140750.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Tue May 03, 2016 5:49 pm

TheMidi-ChlorianHoax wrote:Wow sorry that my mind is not as simple and basic like yours and I don't get amused by something that looks the same as it did 30 years ago.
If you don't care about Star Wars go to another forum.
Simple am I? You may want to think about an apology for that insult over the next 2 weeks as that's how long your banned for!
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

DTM
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by DTM » Tue May 03, 2016 7:44 pm

TheMidi-ChlorianHoax wrote: Real life is boring, Star Wars shouldn't be.

If you think real life is boring , then I'm sorry for you . Maybe you should look out the window of your room , and find that there is a lot to learn out there. You would discover that we like so much fiction , because it is an allegory of reality

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Wed May 04, 2016 1:05 am

Tony Knightcrawler wrote:
BattleDog wrote:Which actually makes the Rotj A-Wing retrospectively the odd one out, because the A-Wings in Rebels are also based on the Mcquarrie painting.
Yeah... It's the same reason I hated most of the designs from Knights of the Old Republic. It's trying too hard to be what was already established. There's no creativity in the designs. As much as most of us hate Phantom, the N1 was a good new design.

Also, unless that A-Wing canopy *also* slides foward/back, there's no way the canopy can close. 9_9
KOTOR 2 had some very derivative designs but KOTOR's designs are all original. As Sax pointed out, there's only one way to build a jet and the A-Wing's design is very similar, it's a wedge-shaped hull with two engines at the back, a deck between them and a bubble cockpit. It's actually a very efficient configuration for a small interceptor. Likewise, the X-Wing is basically a tubular hull with four wings, each with an engine and outboard guns.

With the T-75 X-wing you see a number of alterations that make evolutionary sense, if the wings are there for atmospheric flight then the T-75's interlocking configuration works batter than the T-65's layered one whilst the change in engine design reduces the front cross-section.

Think of the X-Wing like an actual plane - it's either the third or fourth generation of this type of design at least, and it pulls influences in from previous generations, keeping what works from the last model and bring back things that worked from earlier models.
1st Lt Sigurd "BattleDog" Stormhand, Assigned Corsair Squadron, Renegade Wing, CRS Vigilant.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

Gammatron
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Gammatron » Wed May 04, 2016 2:54 pm

General_Trageton wrote:Speaking of the A-Wing, looks like there's gonna be some of those in EP8. Aparently Prince Harry has visited the Pinewood set recently and has posted Pictures of himself, sitting in an A-Wing while talking to Marc Hamil.
So the A-Wing is going to be in Episode 8 and not Rogue One? Interesting. I'm kind of glad because I was really kinda disappointed by the lack of ships in TFA. Hopefully TIE Interceptors make a comeback too as I was sad to see those go as it's one of the coolest TIE designs.

I like it how certain types of ships in Star Wars have a definite design lineage over time.

The Z-95 Headhunter led to the T-65 XWing, the T-70 and the T-85 (which we have yet to see.) The ARC-170 and E-Wing are related designs.

In Rebels we see the B-Wing prototype, which leads to the familiar B-Wing, which leads into the B-Wing Mk. II (which we also haven't seen) which was then cannibalized to make the Resistance Troop Transporters. Also in Rebels, we see the early A-Wing (Ralph McQuarrie's design) which then leads into the ROTJ version, and now apparently the Episode VIII one.

Likewise, the Y-Wing has had different versions from the Clone Wars and into the OT.

Tony Knightcrawler
Commander

Post by Tony Knightcrawler » Wed May 04, 2016 4:34 pm

Despite the claim that it is impossible to come up with original designs, most of the hundreds of ships in Star Wars up until the last few years were... at least were more original.

I'm obviously not saying A-Wings should not exist in Ep VIII. Just saying that if they are trying to show a design evolution, it would be best if there was a trend, not simply tiny variations of what was in the OT.

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Wed May 04, 2016 7:01 pm

I think it's fine if you accept they're both A-Wings, but it'll be stretching things if we get a re-vamped Y-Wing as well. I'm hopefully that the reason they let Harry take pictures of the A-Wing is because it's derivative, it sends a message that there's going to be more than just X-Wings in the film without really giving anything away.

I think the reason we only see X-wings and Tie Fighters in EP VII is because they were playing it safe, proving they could "do" Star Wars after the Prequels disappointed most people, hopefully now that they proved that they'll branch out a bit more.
1st Lt Sigurd "BattleDog" Stormhand, Assigned Corsair Squadron, Renegade Wing, CRS Vigilant.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

TheMidi-ChlorianHoax
Cadet 4th Class

Post by TheMidi-ChlorianHoax » Wed May 25, 2016 5:10 pm

Darksaber wrote:Simple am I? You may want to think about an apology for that insult over the next 2 weeks as that's how long your banned for!
Spoken like a true perma virgin. There are like only 5 active users here, maybe you shouldn't get so butthurt all the time. I don't have that much interest in being in this forum anyway, I think I'm doing you a favor by posting here.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Wed May 25, 2016 7:22 pm

I was thinking of permanently banning you, but before I clicked on the button, I thought no, lets have a little fun playing with you for a while!

Besides your not doing me any favours, people like yourself are ten a penny where ever you go these days. Also if you don't have that much interest in this forum, why did you bother coming back to post your latest response?

Your just one of the many jerks that have come and gone through these forums over the years, insulting someone just makes you look childish and immature, you dish out insults because you can't handle someone responding to a post you made and don't like what they write.

The only way you know how to respond is by lashing out, it's sad.

What do we have so far, well according to you I have a
1. Simple and basic mind
2. I'm a perma-virgin
3. I whine and have stupid ideas

Funny, you don't even know me, yet you think you can make a judgement on my intelligence, virility and the ability to make decisions.

To us you just come across as sad, angry, immature bully, one thing I hate is a bully!

It's such a shame that the your parents and the education system failed to recognise your inability to interact with others that lead to your bullying. lol!
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Wed May 25, 2016 9:13 pm

Hmmm I might want to have read all the posts before replying. Seems like you've got this covered DS :)
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Wed May 25, 2016 11:09 pm

I have a bad feeling about this
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:40 am

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:06 am

The newest trailer... released today. Looking great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frdj1zb9sMY
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:41 pm

So I guess Star Destroyers are now officially capable of atmospheric flight....

Well nonetheless, loved the trailer, looking forward to the movie!

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:27 am

Yeah, I was little surprised to see that, but I guess if the Accalamators and Venators were sitting on Courscant's surface in C.W. movies, the ISD's are capable too. I hope at least Florini will bring the Victory-Class SD's into the time line with "Rebels" franchise, which all takes place i think before Rogue One and A New Hope movies. I like this trailer too, it seems it has the classic feel of the OT and yet all new material. Vader is back. :-)
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

Marcos_Edson
XWAU Member

Post by Marcos_Edson » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:56 am

I'm curious about the part where the DS seems to be "upside down" and later creates an eclipse... These happen in a "what if" comic where the DS is not destroyed in the Battle of Yavin although I guess the upside down DS in the comic was some odd mistake... Also, in the comic the DS destroys Yavin IV but not in the first shot... The "destruction wave" the heroes fly away from in the trailer could be the first use of the super-laser, one that do not destroys the target, at least in the way Alderran is destroyed later. This is good (in a certain point of view) as Alderaan would remain as the true first victim of the "full power of this battlestation".
SETI
"There can be only one..."
"I'm an otaku! Have a problem with that?"

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:43 am

The upside down shot, maybe there is a ship flying towards it from that angle. Or they just wanted to do something different.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:48 pm

I'm with Marcos on this one. The way the scene is srranged it could indeed be the DS testing its wespon for the first time and that wave of the destruction being the result. If you see the imperials around Krennic assembling at the large viewport with Jedha in the background, it all seems to fit together nicely.

Marcos_Edson
XWAU Member

Post by Marcos_Edson » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:25 pm

SETI

thick
Galactic Empire

Post by thick » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:12 pm

The second trailer is so much better. Apart from the sort of clunky nodding at the pep talk. I think that those two scenes are unrelated though, and it was just edited that way.

I saw we also have a new canon TIE, pretty interesting.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:28 pm

It is a TIE Striker
It is meant for atmospheric missions, but can operate in space if need be.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/TIE_Striker

The new Rebel gunship is called the U-Wing

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/U-wing

Also, if you look closely in the scene with the X-Wings in space, you can spot a Hammerhead Corvette redesign from the Rebels series in the rebel fleet

http://i.imgur.com/lI3yYmX.png

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hammerhead_corvette

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:42 pm

I never was a big fan of the hammerhead since it was first portrayed in KotOR. Nevertheles it's nice to see how the design eventually made all the way to the Empire era. Come to think of it, this may probably be one of the first actual EU elements that actually made it into a feature film.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:24 pm

General_Trageton wrote:I never was a big fan of the hammerhead since it was first portrayed in KotOR. Nevertheles it's nice to see how the design eventually made all the way to the Empire era. Come to think of it, this may probably be one of the first actual EU elements that actually made it into a feature film.
The official (In-universe description) for the new Hammerhead says it is based on a really old design, so yeah it is meant to be from a past era.

As for feature films. How could you forget the name Coruscant? It originally appeared in the Thrawn Trilogy.

I don't know if Shadows of the Empire was considered EU, but a YT-2400 is in A New Hope special edition. It was originally the Outrider, but with Shadows wiped out with the rest of Legends its just a ship of the same class.

I can't think of anything that wasn't just a background detail.

Wookieepedia has a list.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_ ... _the_films

There are tons of EU elements in Clone Wars and Rebels, but obviously those are not Feature Films.

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:24 am

Eight months before the events of Rogue One and A New Hope . . . :D :lachtot:
Planet3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Marcos_Edson
XWAU Member

Post by Marcos_Edson » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:33 pm

:lachtot: :lachtot: :lachtot:
SETI