XWA in VR

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

XWA in VR

splat_cat_au
Recruit

Post by splat_cat_au » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:27 am

Hi all.
Been hanging about here for years but couldnt remember the old login.
Got to say, you are all very talented people.

Anyway, I have plans to run XWA through Gear VR in the near future - one of the better and cheaper methods - but have discovered a hurdle to playing this type of game in VR - the inability to see the keyboard.
The idea I had to get around this small problem was to overlay a small utility that simply contained a list of all the commands, divided in to categories, as an expandable/collapsible tree (much like viewing a directory structure) using 4 navigation keys (up, down, expand/right/activate, and collapse/left/back). It works very well [s]but I have failed to get it to work in overlay, as my programing ability is very limited.
The only utilities I have found that do overlays are mostly concerned with voice comms and such, and so this is my road block.
Would anyone have any ideas of how to proceed or even how to hook a simple utility into directX?[/s]

Thanks for all your work keeping a great game alive.
Last edited by splat_cat_au on Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

splat_cat_au
Recruit

Post by splat_cat_au » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:09 am

For anyone who needs more info on running VR check this YT video and the links...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZL8hDNsHpM

splat_cat_au
Recruit

Post by splat_cat_au » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:15 am

Well, I'm past the road block and have a test program that sits over the top of XWA allowing the quick selection of actions/commands and sends them to the game. Its simple and not very elegant but should do the job for now.

MajorParts
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by MajorParts » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:37 am

what about the separate views for each eye? or is it still 2d but on your face?

splat_cat_au
Recruit

Post by splat_cat_au » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:49 am

TrinusVR Lite
TrinusVR
TriDef 3D
Moonlight Game Streaming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZL8hDNsHpM

that will also give you head tracking =)

splat_cat_au
Recruit

Post by splat_cat_au » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:35 am

my idea of overlaying a window on top of XWA fails in VR.
It does help when playing on a multi-monitor system though.
The only good thing about Gear VR is that it works very very well for head tracking.