I got XWA to work with Oculus Rift CV1 and Vorpx

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

I got XWA to work with Oculus Rift CV1 and Vorpx

jp in uae
Recruit

Post by jp in uae » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:00 pm

I'm not sure anyone else has gotten this to work yet, but I've got the Oculus Rift first public release (CV1) to work with XWA using new OPTs and a screen resolution of 1680x1050 with full head tracking using the Vorpx. I've had resolution up as high as 1920x1080 at times. Unlike other XWA Oculus videos out there, this video looks like a regular screen instead of two picture tubes as seen with Oculus DK2 because I'm using Vorpx Desktop Viewer.

I had to do quite a bit of in game tweaking with Vorpx and to be honest the game play you see in the video I've posted looks better than when seeing it through Oculus. Text is a bit fuzzy and stuff is a bit blurred and pixely in game at times. Things aren't really 3D either as with other games with full Rift support. Also it takes a bit of getting used to compared to a fixed monitor without head tracking. Obviously the Rift was not designed to work with a game from 1999 and does much better with War Thunder and other new releases.

Either way, it's still really fun to play like this and puts a new dimension to XWA. With time and tweaking it works well. Also having a really good HOTAS style joystick helps since you can't really look at a keyboard (my Saitek X65F works great for this).

A link to the video is below.

https://youtu.be/DlAgzH4yb4c

DTM
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by DTM » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:19 am

Very nice videos!
Soon I will release an update of the Bespin's opts, using advanced textures, for a much better quality in athmosferic scenario. Also Alderaan and Lothal are ready and tested. I'm finishing with their hangar now.

Than I hope to complete my Death Star model...

I hope that with these new opts you will be able to create good missions!

jp in uae
Recruit

Post by jp in uae » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:52 am

Yes I use the heck out of Bespin. Anything else you make for atmospheric missions is great, especially with Oculus Rift.

Space missions tend to get a bit disruptive with the star fields blurring and what not. Also, after extensive gameplay I still haven't got the "double vision" on ships to go away when they go by at a high rate of speed or you are turning fast.

Head tracking for the most part is accurate until you make fast movements then it goes off center regardless of head tracking sensitivity. You can of course re-center but it detracts from game play.

With higher resolution, and using vorpx to tweak screen distance between a wide field of view and being able to see all your side displays (radar, messages, etc.) is a balancing act. I have found playing in cinematic mode works well.

If anyone else has played XWA with and version of the Rift, please feel free to share what settings are working best for you.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:31 pm

Strange I don't recall releasing black versions of the TIE Scimitar or The Royal Guard TIE Interceptor which have the gun turret and engines from the SF TIE Fighter, very strange.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

Red_Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Red_Leader » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:20 am

Great videos! Bespin looks fantastic. The Battle of Yavin looks amazing. Where can I get a copy of it? I've been thinking of redoing my set, making it one mission instead of 3. I'd love to give that one a try.
"I want my sanity back." - Wedge Antilles
https://www.freewebs.com/redleaderxwa/