Rogue One: no spoiler

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Rogue One: no spoiler

DTM
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by DTM » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:42 pm

Just back home from the cinema: GREAT!
It's impossible to make a comparison with the Skywalker saga, because it's totally different, it's darker, more real, like a modern WWII movie.
I don't like "The Force Awakens", because it's not original. This is somthing really new.
Beatiful action, gorgeous space battles and athmosferic battles, X-Wings and Y- Wings everywhere, nice cameo of many famous charachters, and some good easter eggs. Thanks of this movie, we see the very first victory of the Alliance and the Alliance space fleet, and we undestand why Princess Leia owns the secret plan. Everything is like XWA!!!!
My wife is not really a fan of Star Wars, but she liked Rogue One very much!

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:09 pm

Thanks DTM.... That's great to hear..... without giving anything away,( I know fresh and new images were hitting you all at once...) did you get the info that you seek for your 'Death Star' model ?

Sincerely, Rogue518
'Stay in Attack formation!' Darth Vader aka: Anakin Skywalker During the 'Battle Of Yavin'

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:20 pm

2 ... more ... days ... *twitches*
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

DTM

Post by DTM » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:48 pm

Inspiration? No spoilers, but there are a lot of inspiration, too many for a full-time dad like me!
After seeing the film makes you want to play xwa all day. And re-create those wonderful spaceships ... u-wing before all!

If you think about all the mess that made the Alliance to capture the plans of the Death Star...Instead it was enough to do as JJ, who asked the man cleaning "how to destroys that thing" :kopfwand:

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:42 pm

Dibs on the TIE Striker :D
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:12 am

Movie was fantastic. A number of surprises/easter eggs as DTM said. ;-) Only thing I missed was something at the beginning, but hat tip to LucasFilm, Disney, dir. G.Edwards, Florini, and rest of the consultants and teams who made this retro-film. Very nice tie-end to overall franchise story line. I'd like to see "Rebels" become a movie(s) and even see more classic anthology films between a New Hope and ROTJ take off. Solo spinoff next and even adventures of Obi-Wan. Must see this again. :-)
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

Freebeard
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Freebeard » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:48 am

Is it just me, or was there another variant of the Tie Striker in the movie? It looked like a counterpart to the U-Wing in that it was dropping off troops on the battlefield. Anyone know if it has a name yet?

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:38 pm

Darksaber wrote:Dibs on the TIE Striker :D

PLEEEAZE make it have flappy wings! like here :D :D

Marcos_Edson
XWAU Member

Post by Marcos_Edson » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:43 am

Just back from the theater... I just want more movies like this, it was awesome!
SETI
"There can be only one..."
"I'm an otaku! Have a problem with that?"

Turbostraw
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Turbostraw » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:56 pm

I thought it was a bit too formulaic and the appearance of Human CG models was jarring to me.

The movie was as its best when it was being itself : a war movie.
And those Space Battle scenes had a real XWA vibe to them. I felt like a kid watching them.
Made me wish there were more things like the Star Wars VR mission that just came out.
Hello.

Drinkinmiester
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Drinkinmiester » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:08 am

Dang it sounds like I may have to check it out after all, I was considering not going because of stupid writer spewing sjw crap online but the trailers do look pretty good and these comments from the people here whom I Know care about Star Wars seem to confirm the vibe I got from the previews- that somebody finally remembered the second half of the franchise's name...

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:09 am

You seriously don't wanna miss it. I've seen it on the weekend and consider it one of the best things SW since the OT. Would even go as far as to rank it second after my all-time favorite ROTJ.

Drinkinmiester
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Drinkinmiester » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:05 pm

Wow, thanks, I probably will check it out, they make so few good movies these days, it would suck to miss one of the good ones...

Q
Ensign

Post by Q » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:04 pm

Something I couldn't help but notice after watching the film was there are several scenes in the trailers that are nowhere to be found in the final film. I read somewhere this was due to some last minute re-shoots much later in filming. If you would like to see for yourself what I'm talking about you can Google "Rogue One scenes not found in final film", just be prepared for some spoilers.
"I like work; it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours."

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:11 pm

That seems to have been a trend with trailers in recent years. It was the same with EP7 and various other movies, unrelated to star wars.

Det. Bullock
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Det. Bullock » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:49 pm

General_Trageton wrote:That seems to have been a trend with trailers in recent years. It was the same with EP7 and various other movies, unrelated to star wars.
They often do the trailers when the film has not yet reached final cut or even the first rough cut, the part in the trailer where Saw does all that "what will you do if they break you?" etc. is probably from a young Jyn Erso sequence that never made it in for example.
In a way it's to appease those who always go hunting for scoops about movies, but on the other end it makes trailers even more misleading.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:12 pm

Det. Bullock wrote: the part in the trailer where Saw does all that "what will you do if they break you?" etc. is probably from a young Jyn Erso sequence that never made it in for example.
Yeah likely, I think I read somewhere that there uesed to be a sequence with a more juvenile Jyn. IMDB's cast list also list 2 actres(aparrently sisters) playing young Jyn in different ages.

Drinkinmiester
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Drinkinmiester » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:55 am

Welp, called in a favor and was sort of able to have it both ways, got in to see it with out paying, more or less, I'd say you guys are right, this is the best Star Wars movie since the original trilogy, they did shoe horn in some cheesy dialogue here and there and some of the CG was a little odd but overall it was very good. Definitely better than that other new one, not that that one was terrible or anything.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:58 pm

Star Wars website has an article on Rebels easter eggs in the film

http://www.starwars.com/news/the-star-w ... -rogue-one

Minor Spoilers obviously.

Red_Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Red_Leader » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:12 pm

Saw it a second time today. Such a great movie. Definitely put the "war" back in Star Wars.

Not sure if this is an easter egg or just a bit of a stretch. In Rebel Assault, Merrick Simms is Blue Leader. In Rogue One, Blue Leader's name is Antoc Merrick.
"I want my sanity back." - Wedge Antilles
https://www.freewebs.com/redleaderxwa/

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:00 am

There's quite a lot of very nice hints, nudges and fan service, especially with the battle. For the "classic" pilots cast they actually made use of original ANH footage of pilots reporting in, including Red Leader and Gold Leader.

Gonna see it a second time next Tuesday :)

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:53 am

Saw it as part of a company outing last night. For all my skepticism about Disney milking the cow before the milk spoiled, it was very good and well done. Left feeling INCREDIBLY depressed by the ending, though (and in fact, have been feeling down all day, too. When movies hit me, they HIT me).

Loved seeing the cameos by Red Leader (whose actor I just found out died earlier this year. It seems to have slipped past the radar amidst all the rest of the deaths this year :-( ) and Gold Leader again, even if just a cameo. Also, the actor who dubbed Wedge's voice got an auditory cameo during the Battle of Scarif. Some other surprising appearances (look for Dodonna in the briefing scenes!) The CGI for you-know-who was definitely a bit off, though. The technology is coming along, and is SIGNIFICANTLY approved over the CG characters of the Prequels, but it's really not quite able to escape the Uncanny Valley. It wasn't QUITE as egregious for me with you-also-know-who, but that's the difference between a fairly prominent secondary character, and a one-shot cameo. And I have to say that audibly, James Earl Jones and Anthony Daniels are definitely showing their age.

We also FINALLY see Y-wings prove their mettle in a canon source after literally decades of being derided as obsolescent pigs (at BEST) in the EU. Watching Gold Squadron put down a Star Destroyer in one pass was pure delight. They may not be able to keep up as front-line fighters, but DAMN are they effective bombers. Slightly disappointed that they didn't use the original film for painting the markings on Red Squadron's fighters — would have LOVED to get a shot of Red Leader having his fighter's nose blown off, leaving the blast pattern we see in the original film — but at least they didn't just copy-and-paste markings across EVERY fighter like was done for the T-70s in TFA.

And really, it's just pure fangasmic delight to see T-65s on-screen again. Still just not really a fan of the T-70.

Altogether, Rogue One is definitely in the mix with the Original Trilogy as far as quality. It's not as good as Empire, but it's up there at least with Jedi.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:45 pm

The Saxman wrote:We also FINALLY see Y-wings prove their mettle in a canon source after literally decades of being derided as obsolescent pigs (at BEST) in the EU. Watching Gold Squadron put down a Star Destroyer in one pass was pure delight. They may not be able to keep up as front-line fighters, but DAMN are they effective bombers.
We saw Y-Wings in Clone Wars do their thing, so it isn't the first time in Canon.

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:43 am

I saw it today,..... Loved it.. Loved it Disney had balls.... FINALLY!!! made the movie a little darker which was refreshing, and a awesome link with the scrolling words at the beginning of the movie, Star Wars: A New Hope. And something that was explained in a sense, that bothered me since 1977 when I first saw Star Wars

Sincerely, Rogue518
'Stay in Attack formation!' Darth Vader aka: Anakin Skywalker During the 'Battle Of Yavin'

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:27 pm

The ending we got wasn't originally that Dark, in the scripting phase it was a lot lighter, and it was the LucasFilm and Disney execs suggested it should be darker. Edwards didn't think they would have allowed it.

This is the story/scripting phase I'm talking about, nothing to do with reshoots.