XWA Campaigns

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

XWA Campaigns

Knightsaber
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Knightsaber » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:40 am

So what was everyone's favorite Alliance campaign? And what was everyone's least favorite campaign? I'm not sure Alliance's measure up to what TIE Fighter gave us, but they do have their moments of greatness.

Also, what's everyone's feelings on the family missions? I personally did not mind them, but I hated that they left it unresolved for a sequel that never came.

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:46 pm

I think overall, TIE Fighter was the best, followed by X-wing. The Great Search and The Gathering Storm in X-wing were incredibly fun, despite their age and lack of debriefing and in-flight messages.

I was never able to get into the XvT campaign. It just seemed to foreign compared to the other campaigns.

Which leaves XWA. I absolutely loved Battle 3, because it showed us pretty much what the standard days of an Alliance pilot looked like. Just some good Rebel missions unrelated to superweapons or some top secret project. I likewise enjoyed Battles 2 and 4 because of their connections to TIE Fighter and Shadows of the Empire respectively. After that, I'm afraid the game goes of the wheels a bit. Battle 5 seemed to me like something they just inserted to make the game longer. Family stuff aside, virtually nothing happens that couldn't have been resolved in one mission.
Battle 6 felt shoehorned in. It was literally just "Let's see how many ROTJ references we can throw into one battle."

I personally enjoyed the Family missions themselves, but their design could use a bit of work.

ANDREW L
Rebel Alliance

Post by ANDREW L » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:47 pm

Probably my favorite missions are the battle of Endor because it puts you back in the Falcon. I am probably in the minority but I prefer flying the larger ships to the Starfighters. Least favorite would probably be the one where you have the A wing and have to inspect the caravan and a bunch of ISDs are there and you get destroyed very quickly if you aren't careful... OR the one form the family mission where you deliver the bacta once the gunboats come it turns into a nightmare.
<A HREF="http://jkdf2.net/jklex/" TARGET=_blank>JKLE</A><P>One of the last active JK and MotS clan<P><I>Legends return one last time</I>

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:09 am

My favorite X-Wing Alliance battle is Battle 1: Clearing the Way because it contains the classic Alliance hit and fade missions.

The battle I hate most is Battle 4: The Bothan Connection because the last 2 missions are impossible to accomplish at hard difficulty level.
The last mission in particular (Battle 4, Mission 6: Protect Imperial Computer) is a must-skip at hard difficulty. It seems every time I menage to survive a fight, something bigger exits from hyperspace: first the Star Wing Gunboats, then the ISDII Avenger and... guess who arrives at last.
Prima's Official Strategy Guide itself reports "This mission demands superlative dogfighting skills".
The worst part is that skipping that mission deprives me of the Corellian Cross.

On the other hand, family missions are too easy because the light transports have autofire capable turrets powered by a secondary generator, so you can attack a target, avoid its defensive fire, and keep the cannon recharge fully redirected to engines (+25% speed) at the same time.
I don't judge tactics. The Battle is the best and only Judge.