New Forum

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Re: New Forum

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:51 pm

Nice Icons DS!
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:02 pm

I don't no if anyone else has noticed this but the read/unread icons don't change, I always see the unread icon when coming to the forum, even for forums that haven't been posting for weeks/months

I've cleared my cache a few times now, due to not being able to login, the other day I couldn't even get onto the site (xwaupgrade.com), I had to reboot my network hub, ans restart my pc, I could then get on, but only for a couple of minutes then I couldn't get on the site.

I could ping it and I could get onto the FTP weird, I had to use a restore point thinking it was a microsoft update that had been installed recently, but after the restore I still couldn't get on the site properly, I again installed the MS updates, and since then I've been able to get on to the site, so I don't know what it was!! :?

Anyhow the main point of the post is the unread/read icons not changing, sometimes I come to the site, if there are any new unread post/topics, I don't always want to read them, so you would think that the next time I come back to the site the icons would change to the read icon, showing that since the last time I visited the site there was either no new topics or no unread post, like the forum used to do.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

ANDREW L
Rebel Alliance

Post by ANDREW L » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:21 pm

Darksaber wrote:I don't no if anyone else has noticed this but the read/unread icons don't change, I always see the unread icon when coming to the forum, even for forums that haven't been posting for weeks/months

I've cleared my cache a few times now, due to not being able to login, the other day I couldn't even get onto the site (xwaupgrade.com), I had to reboot my network hub, ans restart my pc, I could then get on, but only for a couple of minutes then I couldn't get on the site.

I could ping it and I could get onto the FTP weird, I had to use a restore point thinking it was a microsoft update that had been installed recently, but after the restore I still couldn't get on the site properly, I again installed the MS updates, and since then I've been able to get on to the site, so I don't know what it was!! :?

Anyhow the main point of the post is the unread/read icons not changing, sometimes I come to the site, if there are any new unread post/topics, I don't always want to read them, so you would think that the next time I come back to the site the icons would change to the read icon, showing that since the last time I visited the site there was either no new topics or no unread post, like the forum used to do.
Darksaber you have to hit the button on the top right above the main forum area that says "Mark Forum Read"
<A HREF="http://jkdf2.net/jklex/" TARGET=_blank>JKLE</A><P>One of the last active JK and MotS clan<P><I>Legends return one last time</I>

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:48 pm

Andrew's right. When the forum was migrated to PHPBB all threads were marked as unread again. After you've marked them all as read, the icons work perfectly.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:08 pm

Thanks Andy :gold:
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

WildstarBlue9
Lieutenant Commander

Post by WildstarBlue9 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:42 pm

A brighter afterburner effect needs to be added to the open S-foil X-wings that are indicating unread forums in the forum index. The ones there now aren't much different from the ones w/ the closed S-foils and you need to look closely to be able to tell the difference.
Wildstar, Red 2 (XO) (Ret.)

Not the Wildstar that authored IMCGen.

General Edor Crespin
Galactic Empire

Post by General Edor Crespin » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:56 pm

WildstarBlue9 wrote:A brighter afterburner effect needs to be added to the open S-foil X-wings that are indicating unread forums in the forum index. The ones there now aren't much different from the ones w/ the closed S-foils and you need to look closely to be able to tell the difference.
Agreed. It looks very nice but it's hard to tell the difference when they're all in a column like that. :)
IN THE WAKE OF FEDERATION THERE AROSE EMPIRE

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:38 pm

Heh, I didn't bring that up before as I thought it simply were my bad eyes :D

Edit: Yup, that looks much better now! ;) Nice Job DS!

Griffin
Lieutenant JG

Post by Griffin » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:19 am

Great work!

I had the same problem that DS had. At least it can be fixed, unlike the problem with the xwlegacy forums

General Edor Crespin
Galactic Empire

Post by General Edor Crespin » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:52 pm

Thanks DS, looks great. :)

WildstarBlue9
Lieutenant Commander

Post by WildstarBlue9 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:11 pm

That avatar looks familiar, Griffin... :D
Wildstar, Red 2 (XO) (Ret.)

Not the Wildstar that authored IMCGen.

Griffin
Lieutenant JG

Post by Griffin » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:31 pm

WildstarBlue9 wrote:That avatar looks familiar, Griffin... :D
What can I say, I get around :roll:

darklord
Galactic Empire

Post by darklord » Fri May 16, 2008 7:54 pm

We can't use the [flash] BB command?

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Sat May 17, 2008 8:31 am

nope, sorry. Flash is a bit too annoying if you ask me. No Flash and no JavaScript. (And of course no html)
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

darklord
Galactic Empire

Post by darklord » Sun May 18, 2008 12:48 am

Aww darn :( Why is flash annoying? What do you use it for other then input flash based applications? Or are you afraid that people would abuse that?

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Sun May 18, 2008 6:31 am

I just think it's too much. This is still supposed to be a forum. I just don't see the need for flash inside the posts, sorry...

General Edor Crespin
Galactic Empire

Post by General Edor Crespin » Sun May 18, 2008 7:51 pm

I believe in darklord's case, so he can let us listen to his music right here without having to download the files. :)

darklord
Galactic Empire

Post by darklord » Sun May 18, 2008 8:37 pm

ah well. Force's position is quite understandable. Allot of forums won't allow flash. I just put up a link to my site.

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Mon May 19, 2008 6:13 am

General Edor Crespin wrote:I believe in darklord's case, so he can let us listen to his music right here without having to download the files. :)
Dear god please no! I mean no offense to his style of music (which I don't even know) but I'll be cold and worms will have started to feast on my dead body before you'll get to hear any sounds coming from this webpage! I know I am oldschool like this, but I find nothing more annoying than webpages that make sounds of any kind!
Plus, Flash is a potential security risk (more to the users than to the page, but still) and I want people to come here knowing that everything is safe and fine.

So sorry about that, but no Flash allowed...

Dragon
XWAU Member

Post by Dragon » Mon May 19, 2008 10:08 am

Forceflow wrote:Plus, Flash is a potential security risk (more to the users than to the page, but still) and I want people to come here knowing that everything is safe and fine.
I second that. :up:
Every story has four sides to it: yours, the others, the truth and what really happend.
"You have failed me for the last time, Admiral."

darklord
Galactic Empire

Post by darklord » Tue May 20, 2008 8:44 pm

No offense taken! :D Its pretty much as you would call in the classical style though its mostly neoromantic. Still thats a very good point. I wouldn't want to jeopardize the security to these forums. Though accedemic at this point, the specific flash based player first requires that you click to activate and then click the specific song before it will play anything. I agree with you, people shouldn't have to listen to things they don't want too.