Fixing issues with Xwaupgrade OPTs on TIE95

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

Fixing issues with Xwaupgrade OPTs on TIE95

Ariel
Recruit

Post by Ariel » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:39 pm

Hi all,

I'm new here, and I want to first thank all the artists in this project for providing such beautiful models to upgrade the games that I loved since childhood. I've been on a Tie Fighter and Xvt binge lately, and the new OPTs do make a huge difference in the gameplay experience.

That being said, this post is to report on my findings and experiments in getting some of the craft to work properly in Tie95. Let me know if these issues have already been solved before because I haven't found any answers in my search. And yes, I'm quite late to the party, posting something like this years after the GOG releases.

I play my games on an iMac running Boot Camp Windows 7, using the GOG releases of Tie Fighter (Collector's CD-Rom version) and Xwing vs. Tie Fighter.

Problem #1: Xwaupgrade Tie Defender's ion cannons don't work
Use OPTech and remove the ion cannon hardpoints from the small cannon meshes, and attach them to the main hull (or wing) mesh instead. I don't know why that worked but it did. You can also position the laser cannons on the wing/hull meshes as well just to be thorough.

Problem #2: Xwaupgrade Imperial Star Destroyer errors
The new ISD disappear when you are too far from it, or when there's too many craft on screen (I think). I don't know what the exact issue is, though I suspect it might be overly large polygons on the model that TIE engine couldn't support. I used OPTech to shrink all the meshes down to 99% and lo and behold the problem is fixed. 99% scale Star Destroyer is about 1,593m long but I'm not going to peeve about it.

Problem #3: Xwaupgrade Victory Star Destroyer too low
It was Battle 2 Mission 1 in Tie Fighter where the player craft starts off right in the VSD's hangar at full speed. If you're not paying attention to dive downwards immediately, you'll fly right into the front wall of the hangar. I used OPTech to shift the relative location of all the meshes upwards about 1000 units and that seems to work without adversely affecting the rest of the missions' performances.

Problem #4: Imperial shuttles causes crash
Imperial shuttles cause crashes in TIE95 engine. Guess it's due to the rear mounted turret causing error. Remove the hardpoint in OPTech, remove the rear turret mesh, and the shuttle will be fine.

There are a few other tweaks that I've done but for the life of me I can't recall them now. Will update the post as necessary. Hope this helps.

- Ariel

agorageek
Cadet 4th Class

Post by agorageek » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:13 am

I've been having the same problems with the shuttle causing a crash when I destroy it. I've tried to implement the fix you recommended, but I'm not having any success with getting it to work. I even tried deleting all of the weapon hardpoints except the "EmpireLaser" ones, and somehow ended up with shuttles that can fire in a 360 arc. Is there any way you could provide the corrected opt files you have?

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:42 pm

The Craft made for XWA where NOT designed to work with TIE95 as the opt formats are slightly different for each game, so place an XWA OPT in TIE95 will cause problems.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

agorageek
Cadet 4th Class

Post by agorageek » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:41 pm

Thanks for telling me I can't do that. I was actually asking for help from someone who actually already did it. Helpful as ever, DS. :P