Question about XWA Upgrade Controls

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

Question about XWA Upgrade Controls

xwingallianceaaron
Recruit

Post by xwingallianceaaron » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:55 pm

I installed XWA Upgrade today over the Steam version of the game. I installed the pack, used xwahacker to add 1920x1080 support, and launched the game. Everything was great until I realized that the controls were different from the unmodified version of the game.

Now the input only responds to my mouse, meanwhile, my actual joystick gets ignored. I've looked at the game files (noticed dinput files that weren't there in the unmodded game) and searched the web and these forums, but there's no simple switch for unmodded controls back.

Does anyone know how to revert this change in input from the old version to the modded version???

If I can't play with the joystick, it's better for me to just play the unmodded version of the game.

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:25 pm

Hello,
You can try that:

Open "ddraw.cfg" and set JoystickEmul to 0.

Code: Select all

JoystickEmul = 0

Reimar
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Reimar » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:18 pm

Yes, but note that the emulation via mouse is only enabled when Windows very clearly says "there is no joystick connected".
I.e. if you have this problem this means your joystick isn't properly configured in Windows.
One possible cause is that Windows "forgets" the default joystick setting. And in its infinite wisdom decides that if it doesn't know which one is the default it should report none at all.
Note that anyone with too much free time could look into using this joystick emulation code to add support for reading the joystick via modern DirectInput, that probably would resolve this and probably also the issues people have with the steam controller.

xwingallianceaaron
Recruit

Post by xwingallianceaaron » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:06 am

JoystickEmul = 0 in ddraw.cfg
IS THE SOLUTION

Everything I wrote is accurate, I just want to reiterate I had everything written clearly. The first response provides the solution to the problem that I described. I appreciate the forum people who helped me. Thanks!!! This game is a classic in my life and I'm going to relive it with the enhanced visuals now.

Reimar
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Reimar » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:57 am

Sorry, I was just trying to explain how the emulation works.
It would help me if you could confirm that with "JoystickEmul = 0" your Joystick works, while with "JoystickEmul = -1" it doesn't.
The thing is, with the -1 value the dll is supposed to just check joyGetNumDevs/joyGetPosEx (the same functions that XWA uses to detect if there is a joystick) and ONLY enable mouse emulation if there is not joystick detected.
So if "JoystickEmul = 0" works and "JoystickEmul = -1" doesn't with NOTHING ELSE having changed, something has gone wrong and I'd like to understand what and how...
EDIT: Also, it's not that I doubt the accuracy of what you wrote, it's just that there is so many things that can have an influence (e.g. if it's a gamepad and if so which, or if it is a Joystick if special drivers from the vendor are installed etc.) that it certainly is INCOMPLETE information, so I'll have to make some assumptions, sorry when I get it wrong.

Reimar
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Reimar » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:18 pm

I found a bug (fixed in the latest release) that meant if the ddraw.cfg contained no JoystickEmul line (or it was commented out) it would be random whether it picked joystick or mouse controls.
Could that have been the cause for your issue?