Alliance.exe is not working anymore

In here you can discuss what is going on in the project, offer help, praise or critique!

Alliance.exe is not working anymore

daHeld
Recruit

Post by daHeld » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:19 pm

Hi there,

after installing XWAUCPv1.4 I can't start the Launcher any more. When I click on the shortcut icon, nothing happens. Same is true
for the alliance.exe files on the disk or in the game folder.

So now, I can't change the settings or my pilot's name any more.

Any advice?

A happy new year to all of you!

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:51 pm

I've just installed a fresh version of XWA GOG, and I couldn't get the Alliance.exe to work either, and that without any modifications

But I may have a solution, this is going to sound stupid but it worked for me

From within you XWA DIR create a new folder you can leave the name as New folder, but I renamed mine alliance, (it doesn't seem to matter what it's called), anyhow next copy and paste the Alliance.exe to the new folder (Note NOT Cut and Paste, just Copy and paste) so you leave a copy in it's original location and you have a copy in the new folder.

Just try clicking on the Alliance.exe in the new folder, the launcher should start, don't ask me why it work I haven't got a clue, but it does for me.

If it works you can create new a new shortcut on your desktop or just alter the the one that is already on your desktop

Let me know if this worked for you, Also let me know if your using GOG, Steam or Disc to install XWA
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

daHeld
Recruit

Post by daHeld » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:42 pm

yes, thank you VERY much for your fast help.
This is great! Works like a charm.

But I have another problem: After the install of the Upgrade, I don't hear any more laser sounds or voices. neither in missions nor in simulator skirmishes. That is really strange, because without the UCP it works well.

Did you replace the original sound files with something new?
I used your new lasers and missiles option, might this have something to do with my problem?

A lot of the missions are near impossible to win if you don't hear what's going on...
Last edited by daHeld on Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:49 pm

You never answered my question, what are you using to install XWA DISC, GOG or Steam?

With GOG or STEAM all the wave files are installed so there shouldn't be any problem with sound

The XWAUCPv1.4 does not interfere with any sound files, it just installs the XWAUpgrade Craft

If your using the discs to install XWA you may need to copy the wave files from disc to your XWA DIR
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

daHeld
Recruit

Post by daHeld » Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:56 pm

Oh, I'm sorry.

I've got the CD version.

I thought I wrote that in my original post.

This is so strange, the vanilla 2.02 version with the DirectX 11 DDraw.cfg works well. All the sounds are there.

OK, those sound files are on disk #2, right?

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:06 pm

Yep you need all the wave files from both discs in the XWA DIR

Sorry it's me who missed your comment
Same is true for the alliance.exe files on the disk or in the game folder.
My bad lol
- John Lydgate

daHeld
Recruit

Post by daHeld » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:11 pm

Thank you very much for your help!

And also MANY THANKS to you and the other dedicated guys, that still keep this game alive and up to date.
You're awesome. Keep it up, please!

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:13 pm

Your welcome :D
- John Lydgate

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:19 pm

Hello,

The launcher interferes with the main hook (dinput.dll). That's why the launcher doesn't start.

I've fixed the hook.
Please redownload xwa_hook_main.zip (link on the right)

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:35 pm

Thanks Jeremy :)
- John Lydgate