EA will make Star Wars games.

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

EA will make Star Wars games.

megarock58
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by megarock58 » Mon May 06, 2013 9:14 pm

it has been announced that EA will make future Star Wars games, http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/06/ ... me-license
hopefully they will revive the Star Wars Battlefront series. what are your thoughts on this announcement?
UPDATE: there will not be any Star Wars games from EA for at least maybe a little over a year http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/07/ ... april-2014
so we are just going to have to be patient.
Last edited by megarock58 on Tue May 07, 2013 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abort mission, mission a failure. [tosses joystick out the window]

Oldcode
Rebel Alliance

Post by Oldcode » Mon May 06, 2013 10:12 pm

Good to hear! Sure, a new Battlefront would be cool, but I really want another X-Wing game.

XWA is still a great game after all these years. I love playing old games on faster new computers, but with today's technology, We could see some amazing in a new X-Wing game. :ugeek:

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Tue May 07, 2013 2:04 pm

If it's EA it will mean Origin. Sadly this will mean no more Star Wars games for me :( I found steam a hard pill to swallow but accepted it. But I will never install EA's Origin software.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

Nomada_Firefox
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Nomada_Firefox » Tue May 07, 2013 4:04 pm

Oldcode wrote: XWA is still a great game after all these years
I do not want be negative but XWA was a great game. At this moment and for many years the new graphic cards could not run the 3D graphics and it is a big problem for most of the people. The XWA community has lost a lot of members by this reason and very few make a computer only for this old games. Yes I´m one. I have a old computer only for XWA and other old games but I´m a strange man in the world.
EA's Origin software.
This is not very different from steam and many people use steam. I do not see nothing bad with them.

Fek'LeyrTarg
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Fek'LeyrTarg » Fri May 10, 2013 10:35 am

Honestly I'm unsure what I shall think about it.

Oldcode
Rebel Alliance

Post by Oldcode » Fri May 10, 2013 2:28 pm

Nomada_Firefox wrote:I do not want be negative but XWA was a great game. At this moment and for many years the new graphic cards could not run the 3D graphics and it is a big problem for most of the people. The XWA community has lost a lot of members by this reason and very few make a computer only for this old games. Yes I´m one. I have a old computer only for XWA and other old games but I´m a strange man in the world.
That's your opinion sir, but I disagree. Old limited games can still be great while newer modern games can be crap. I still play the original Doom and Doom II while Doom 3 was kind of a disappointment. I just made the foolish mistake of buying ALINES: Colonial Marines. Even with a huge patch, 3.8, gig that fixed a lot of technical problems, it's still being considered one of the worst game flops of the decade.

You do make some valid points, however, so all the more reason to have a new X-Wing game that could take advantage of newer 3D graphics cards. I just bought a new one a few weeks ago and the difference is like night and day. :D

megarock58
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by megarock58 » Sat May 11, 2013 9:10 pm

UPDATE: LucasFilm has registered these trademarks

gunganfrontier2.com
gunganfrontier3.com
gunganfrontier4.com
order67.net
starwarsalliance.com
starwarsrebels.com
starwarswolfpack.com
wolfpackadventures.net
wookieehunters.com

Nomada_Firefox
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Nomada_Firefox » Tue May 14, 2013 8:05 am

I go to make another valid point which probably we will not see more.

-I would like new SW game which we can mod. A new xwing game would be great but if we can not edit it, it would lose all the great from the previous game.

But I do not think that we will see a new xwing game, at least with this name, I think that we will see more a simulator as the old rogue squadron games.

Tony Knightcrawler
Commander

Post by Tony Knightcrawler » Fri May 17, 2013 9:12 pm

I'm with Forceflow and Nomada. If nothing else, X-Wing on Origin will be unmoddable. Or at least, it will be intentionally rendered unplayable if modded. That's a best case scenario. The most practical scenario is that EA uses the X-Wing name to garner older fans who don't care and newer gamers who want to see what all the fuss was about, then release a horrible game and ruin the franchise forever. Really, this is EA 101.

Q
Ensign

Post by Q » Sun May 19, 2013 12:04 am

Tony Knightcrawler wrote:I'm with Forceflow and Nomada. If nothing else, X-Wing on Origin will be unmoddable. Or at least, it will be intentionally rendered unplayable if modded. That's a best case scenario. The most practical scenario is that EA uses the X-Wing name to garner older fans who don't care and newer gamers who want to see what all the fuss was about, then release a horrible game and ruin the franchise forever. Really, this is EA 101.
I think EA's track record is a bit hit and miss. Unfortunately I think their latest business model has ruined a lot of games that had potential. I wouldn't really hold my breath for a new X-Wing style game since there isn't a big market for Star Wars flight sims. Our best hope for an X-Wing style game would most likely be in the form of an indie game or mod. There are some good options such as the Freespace Open game engine and Unity game engine.
"I like work; it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours."

megarock58
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by megarock58 » Mon May 20, 2013 12:47 am

UPDATE: DICE has opened a studio dedicated to making new Star Wars games in LA
http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/ ... dio-in-la/

megarock58
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by megarock58 » Wed May 22, 2013 4:38 pm

UPDATE: EA will discuss plans for new Star Wars games along with a new Need for speed game at E3 http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/21/ ... l-be-at-e3

megarock58
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by megarock58 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:40 pm

UPDATE: Star Wars 1313 might have found new life http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/2013/ ... on-of.html
but still nothing has been confirmed.