Adding custom ships to GOG version with MXvTED?

Want to edit the game, build your own craft and missions? Here you'll find help, tools, guides and people to discuss with.

Adding custom ships to GOG version with MXvTED?

Prime
XWAU Member

Post by Prime » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:53 am

I am looking to add some custom ships to the GOG + XWAUCPv1.3 version of the game using .shp files and MXvTED version 4. I know the GOG has modified the XwingAlliance.exe and when XWAUCP is installed it does as well. When I first took a stab at installing new ships I seemed to get funny behavior, like either they didn't seem to be added at all (the Known and Enabled flags are checked) to the ingame database or they had an entry but would use the model for the last ship viewed. I noticed that in unused slots in MXvTED there seems to be some sort of planet type (such as *Endor in slot 34 and *Sullust in slot 35) instead of the **no entry found** I was expecting.

Is MXvTED still usable with .shp files in this way with the GOG version of the game + XWAUCPv1.3 or does it end up writing things into the .exe in an incorrect way? Is there anything else I need to know to add custom ships, such as these "planet slots" should be left untouched?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:47 pm

No, provided it's linked to the right exe and there isn't some problem with your installation, it should still work.

Could you post some screenshots to the MXvTED Statistics and Opt tabs, and then what shows up ingame? Should be easy enough to solve the problem then.

Prime
XWAU Member

Post by Prime » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:04 am

So I decided to start from scratch to make sure I had a clean slate after all the mucking around I had been doing. Now it seems I can't make any new craft show up in the game. The steps I took where:
  • install xwaupgrade patch
  • set widescreen via xwahacker
  • in MXvTED4 selected the .exe file to be XWINGALLIANCE.EXE which cause to MXvTED4 to exit and I reopen it
  • put .opt file into FLIGHTMODELS directory
  • in slot 33 (which was labed as "Craft Type: *Forest moon of Endor" initially) I selected a .shp file and loaded it into that slot. Species No. automatically gets set to 184 which has the *DontUseMe label.
  • set the Ship Type to "0 Fighter"
  • click Write while on slot 33
Two shots from MXvTED4 after loading the .shp file into the slot: http://imgur.com/a/KJtAy

I did try installing the ship into an existing enabled ship slot, and that seemed to work. Is the problem that MXvTED4 cannot set the Known flag properly or something along those lines?

Thanks for the help!

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:27 am

Nothing quite so complicated, looks like an easy fix :).

Select slot 33 and change "NoSkirmish" under Skirmish Options to "Skirmish". That should fix it.

As for the known flag, don't worry about that. I think they're mostly for story purposes, like in Battle 2 where the Experimental TIEs only show up in the databank after you encounter them in the missions.

Do let me know if that fixed your problems.

Prime
XWAU Member

Post by Prime » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:04 pm

Thanks for the all the help, it is appreciated!

It turns out the problem was that I was not using the pilot file that was being updated by MXvTED. It appears it only looks at updating the slot in the first pilot file it finds. Since I happened to be using another pilot those craft didn't appear. Once I switched to the first pilot they showed up.

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:18 am

Good to hear. If you run into any other problems, feel free to ask :)