Making the Skirmishes more "Mission like"

Want to edit the game, build your own craft and missions? Here you'll find help, tools, guides and people to discuss with.

Making the Skirmishes more "Mission like"

sncollie
Recruit

Post by sncollie » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:29 am

I've developed a little trick that uses the "temp.tie" file to make skirmishes more like a real mission (plus it gets rid of those target boxes around friendly craft). I learned about that trick here in regards to playing Campaign missions in MP.

I created a template mission that starts you in the hangar, and has one Hyper-Buoy to Region 2, and a return Buoy to region 1. The start region has a few ships in formation with your mother-ship (for ambiance). I also added a "reinforcements flight" in case I need it.

I create a Skirmish, fly it, and quit immediately to create the temp.tie file. I then Alt-Tab back into AlliED and open it up. I set the Player flights to AI, or delete them all together, and then copy ALL the rest (including backgrounds) to the FG library.

Then I open my Template mission and paste that FG into the second Region. I then save it as the first mission in the Mission.lst (1B0M1FW.TIE) and play it through the Tour list in the simulator.

A few wonky things, though. Capture missions don't really go to well unless you modify your side's orders correctly...otherwise they usually blow up what needs to be captured.

I know it's alot of work just to play the exact same thing, but to me, I always liked starting in the hangar and returning to base. This allows me quickly setup a skirmish and play it like a real mission...since I have limited mission building expertise. :)

Anyway, just thought I'd share.