Hypering Between Regions: Arrival Point

Want to edit the game, build your own craft and missions? Here you'll find help, tools, guides and people to discuss with.

Hypering Between Regions: Arrival Point

Sevain
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Sevain » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:56 pm

Having recently played a campaign of Heroes of Arturi Cluster in X-Wing (the miniature game), I decided to re-install X-Wing Alliance to get another fix of starfighters blowing each other to bits. I sketched out a simple three-mission plot line and got to work in AlliEd. On the third attempt of trial and error I finally managed to create a mission that mostly works.

There is one thing I can't figure out though: what controls where ships emerge from hyperspace when they hyper between regions?

All my ships always arrive to the new region at coordinates 0, 0, 0. This is not affected by the navbuoy, since the order to hyper between regions seems to ignore the buoys entirely. As far as I can tell it is not any one of the waypoints either. However, in the original missions the ships hyper in at arbitrary points, and AlliEd displays their arrival positions correctly when the mission is loaded. So clearly there is some mechanism that lets you control the arrival point.

Could any of the veterans of mission editing shed some light on this? Thanks in advance.

PS. Also thanks for all those who have kept working on this game for all these years. The fact that there are still devoted fans this many years after first release proves the quality of the original game.

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:46 pm

I assume you checked this, but did you see if the the entry point buoy has the correct "Hyper from Region X" role?

Say you hyper from your base in region 1 to whatever target in region 2, the entry point buoy needs to have the role "Hyper from Region 1"

Sevain
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Sevain » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:33 am

I created the buoys with the wizard originally, but on close examination they seemed to have the opposite arrival roles needed (Region 1 buoy had Arrive from Region 1 and Regnion 2 buoy had Arrive from Region 2). I'm not sure why or how I would have reversed the roles, but that is what I must have done at some point during the editing. Thanks for the help.