Fan Remake of TIE Fighter

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Fan Remake of TIE Fighter

autodidactic
Recruit

Post by autodidactic » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:01 pm

High folks. I'm a web developer that has some serious love for the X Wing series. I have waited over a decade for another space sim from LA but they simply have not delivered. I am looking to get some help in starting a fan based remake of TIE Fighter and figured perhaps talking to some folks here (especially the people that have done the total conversion for XWA) would be the best place to get help.

I've started the first baby steps with the Unity based project. Unfortunately despite having the advantage of knowing javascript/actionscript, my experience is all with 2d environments making this an uphill battle. I am however still hopeful that with a small and organized group, progress can be made and the project can be realized.

Unity has some big advantages to it.

The basic indie developer version of the Unity IDE is free.
Unity supports joysticks and any other gaming peripherals.
Unity supports online multiplayer scenarios.
Unity (free edition) can deploy to Mac,Windows as well as to the Unity web player.

I think a fan remake is entirely within reason and the resources are there. It is simply too much work for me to do alone and would take forever to complete on my own. If anybody is interested in helping with this, please post in this thread.

autodidactic
Recruit

Post by autodidactic » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:06 pm

If anybody has suggestions on the most convenient way of hosting the source code I'm all ears. So far it seems like a toss up between sourceforge or git

autodidactic
Recruit

Post by autodidactic » Wed May 04, 2011 3:24 am

Wow, not a single response out of 25 views?

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Wed May 04, 2011 7:15 pm

25 views? That's a lot more than the number of active people around here lately.

Sorry, but you won't find anybody with the muse, time and discipline for something as ambitious as that around here.
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

JaggedFel
Galactic Empire

Post by JaggedFel » Thu May 05, 2011 11:19 am

It's been tried before, and it comes down to manpower and time. I've got the remains of one attempt after the lead programmer gave up. Yeah, a new TIE game would be awesome, but realize there's a very strong possibility that it won't get finished.
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor v1.15.6
Current software WIPs: TIE Layout and Cutscene Editor, TIE/XvT Cockpit Editor
Libraries / Format specs: *.tie, *.plt, *.tfr, *.lfd , *.act, *.dat image files, *.fnt

Tony Knightcrawler
Commander

Post by Tony Knightcrawler » Sat May 07, 2011 12:28 pm

We all want a new X-Wing-style game or successor, but more than passion is required. Unless at least a core group of people can spend full-time on a game, it'll take so long that it'll be far outdated by the time it comes out. That's not to say that a lot of people from this community don't want to do something along these lines, just that it'll take something big to get it started. And less likely things have happened... sometimes. Something like what you described is my dream, too, but I'd need to have a lot of money first. :-P

That said, most of the models for ships from TIE Fighter are complete. So... >.> What would you be asking the community to do? :-P Most of the members of this community skilled in making game content are artists. If you want to program the game, you can use placeholders and then ask for permission when the engine is done.

Fek'LeyrTarg
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Fek'LeyrTarg » Mon May 09, 2011 9:34 pm

You might also want to use Fate of the Galaxy as a base for your TIE Fighter Remake:
http://swc.hard-light.net/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSe8CpdIF7U
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?board=143.0

danyetman
Cadet 4th Class

Post by danyetman » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:29 pm

I hate to necro a thread, especially for my first post on XWAU, but I remade all the Tie Fighter music for another project, and if anyone is still interested in remaking this game, I can provide high-quality versions of EVERY song in Tie Fighter, from the Intro to the battle music (and I mean the original iMuse battle music, not those boring Redbook Audio versions).

Examples can be found on my youtube page: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZCVgJq9sKc

I would LOVE to see Tie Fighter remade, and I think that the FreeSpace 2 Engine is the best opportunity for this.

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:14 am

Danyteman, I saw those and mentioned them to Darksaber. Awesome work! Sounds almost like a real orchestra. Sent you a Private Message. :shock:
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.