TrackIR

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

TrackIR

bokan
Recruit

Post by bokan » Fri May 27, 2011 4:09 am

I remember there being some interest some time ago in getting TrackIR support for x wing alliance. Did anything ever come of that? I did follow the directions in another thread (which I have since lost) regarding getting something close to it working, and it turned out pretty cool. The thing is, it gets off-center very easily, and after playing for a bit I'm having to twist my neck around just to look straight :lachtot:

Tony Knightcrawler
Commander

Post by Tony Knightcrawler » Fri May 27, 2011 7:54 am

Does the recenter button not work?

ffaaway
Rebel Alliance

Post by ffaaway » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:05 pm

The other thread is "Track IR Support" deeper in the Pilot lounge.

But to answer you, no new developments for TIR and XWA, you just gotta map a re-center view button on your joystick or throttle and pretty much re-center every time you use TIR. One tip is to use a really low power curve in your TIR software so the problem is less pronounced. Much trial and error is require to find the sweet spot.

Check out #3 below.

1. Run the Track IR software / Make an XWA Profile:
A simple Yaw / Pitch axis profile will suffice.
Use Template One:One for a flat power curve and set to a low speed something under 5 or your view will snap around so fast it is uncontrollable. You also don't want any acceleration curves because it will never re-center and it just gets too fast.
Set the CENTER hotkey to 'Pad 5' - numpad 5 key to match XWA game center view setting -
Set the PAUSE hotkey to "Pause' - the pause key up on the F key row because F12 is used in game and not re-mappable.

2. Locate and run the file TIRMouse.exe in your Track IR folder.
"C:\Program Files (x86)\NaturalPoint\TrackIR5\TIRMouse.exe"
This is the built in mouse emulator.

3. Make a macro to enable / disable freelook in XWA.
You can do this all manually from the keyboard but a single button macro works best.
You will have to find what solution works for your setup.
As for myself I use the Saitek X52pro software and map a joystick button.
Program these three keys in this order "Scroll Lock" + "Pause" + "Num 5" What this does when you press the button- XWA will enable freelook, TrackIR will unpause and center your view. Press the button again and XWA will disable freelook, TrackIR will pause and your view will be left in the center forward position.

Now your set! Run XWA and enjoy a fair approximation of TrackIR functionality in the Star Wars universe.

I always hit my hotkey to PAUSE mouse emulation even before I run the game because it pretty much gets anoying when it messes with your mouse control.

Once you load into the hanger freelook is set on by default but after you launch you will then have to hit your pause/unpause hotkey macro. If you did this correctly then one button will do everything. Essentially, mouse emulator mode will never center properly like a true TrackIR enhanced game so you just have to use it to look around then shut it off when you need to re-center. The hotkey I described will always leave your view centered.
X-Wing pilot since 1993 and still kickin'