XWAU Craft Pack v1.2 released

In here you can discuss what is going on in the project, offer help, praise or critique!

XWAU Craft Pack v1.2 released

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:05 pm

Darksaber did it and we can finally provide you with the now hopefully fixed and GoG compatible version of the XWAU Craft Pack v1.2

Below are the release notes:
Darksaber wrote: With the release of the GOG.com version of X-Wing Alliance, we've updated the XWAUCP installer to add support for this new version of XWA.

XWAUCPv1.2 Fixes
A massive thanks to JérémyaFr for all the hints, tips and fixes, you’re a legend.

So what’s fixed, well there were a couple of updates needed to XWA DDraw D3D11
Fixed concourse 3D scale, Fixed distorted starfield, Fixed distorted map grid, Fixed missing parts on concourse screenshots
Note: The scaling issue on briefing is not totally fixed.

DTM has also released a "NEW" Opt namely the Ferrboat Liner so this has also been added.

A report of a crash when a 3d model is shown in briefing, thanks to JérémyaFr again, the crash was related to the briefing wireframe overlay. There was a bug in the exe that lead to a buffer overflow when more than 8000 points are generated. Starting from 5000 points, there are missing parts, then starting from around 8100 points, the game crashed while loading the mission. The workaround was to disable the briefing wireframe overlay.

Fixes to the installer, reports came concerning the Disc version of the install, in where the installer couldn’t find Disc 1, this has now been fixed.

I’ve fixed a couple of missions B4M1 and B6M1:-
B4M1 in Region 4 the Cargo Ferries kept crashing for some reason; I compared the craft with the other Cargo Ferries arrival orders, some of the settings where missing, so I corrected this and now the mission plays as it should.
B6M1 people were complaining they couldn’t finish the mission, I tested it myself, each time on hard, and it just failed each time, on easy I tested it 4 or 5 time failing each time, a 6th time I managed to complete it, whether it’s my age or lack of reaction these days I don’t know, but I’ve edited the mission to make it easier and I can now complete it on hard.
You may call this cheating the mission, but sod it I'm getting on a bit now, my reactions and eyesight aren't what they used to be, but I wasn't the only one how couldn't complete these missions, so sue me! :D

I’ve fixed a problem with the Planetary Fighters, which where crashing the game.

I’ve fixed a problem with the B-Wing, while flying in mission it would fire missiles and lasers from the same position, but if you fly the B-Wing in skirmish everything was fine, a strange one this, I’ve solved this, so it fires correctly, but when still firing missiles/torpedoes in single fire mode it fires from only one side of the craft, but link the missiles/torpedoes they fire from both sides of the craft, just to confirm it had nothing to do with the upgraded craft I tested this with a vanilla install of XWA, the same thing happens with the missile/torpedoes, very strange I’ve never noticed this before.

Also a report came in regarding AI craft couldn’t land on the Dreadnaught, a few days earlier I had been messing with some of the Hardpoints within the Opt, I’ve since fixed this, so AI craft should be able to land once again.

There was also a problem in GOG’s version of XWA where the game is locked at 800x600, and you couldn’t change the resolution, GOG have added Reimar’s XWA Hacker patches to the exe, but they added the Force 800x600 patch, which basically locks out there other pre-set resolution, this has been fixed.

----------------------------------------------------------

Previous Updates and Fixes

We have also added DTM's Super Backdrops, six months of work and testing, more than 350 new high definition images to replace all the original planets, nebulae, galaxies, asteroids and Death Star...to create the most revolutionary patch I've ever made.

Also added with the thanks to JérémyaFr (Jérémy Ansel), a new DDraw.dll. The purpose of the new DDraw.dll is to replace the old Direct3D API with a newest Direct3D API. Replacing that, the 3D hardware mode is again available in game; the new DDraw.dll also contains a few performance/graphical improvements.

Along with fixing the Direct Draw graphics Jérémy has also fixed the old TGSmush.dll which now allows us to play the original cutscene smoother and allows to play high resolution custom cutscenes.

Last but not least we have also added a new custom made Dll file created again by Jérémy which allows you to add and customise Hangars within the game, your no longer restricted to using the same hangar for each starship, station or platform, you can now have an individual hangar customised to your preference for each Hangar. Within the Hangar you can add or remove craft, reposition the craft in the hangar and change the camera views. For a small example of what can be done, go to the Pilot Proving Ground and take a look at the hangar.

So with the new Backdrops, various graphic enhancements, it's brought new life to a Classic Game.

Enjoy!
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

Untitled
Recruit

Post by Untitled » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:37 pm

I'm looking forward to this for serveral months now. I bought a Joystick just for the game and was ready to go and finaly you are ready! Big thanks to all your work! I'm glad there are people like you!

Is XWAUCP 1.2 the only thing I need to install to get the maximum out of the game or is there something else not included?

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:03 pm

Fuck Yeah!

Now, for the pinook...kidding!

Is DSUCP next?
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:10 pm

Great! I'll inform my friends :D

Waiting for DSUCP though :)

edit:

Bah i said screw it and installed it anyways. For some reason it breaks launching through steam? The default GOG install if I add it via shortcut to steam I can launch it and use overlay and screenshot/streaming features, but if I apply the upgrade pack it doesn't launch at all.

The game runs fine on its own if I launch from the folder though, and Nvidia's game shadow works with it so I guess I'll just use that for streaming.

I'm guessing it has to do what ever the installer does to the exe? I noticed if I try to use the new xwahacker-qt after installing it says its been modified and I can only apply Widescreen patches.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:32 pm

You've mentions Steam twice, can I ask what you talking about please, I've searched Steam and X-wing Alliance isn't on there as far as I can see.

XWAUCP is only compatible with either the Disc versions or GOG.
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:45 pm

Darksaber wrote:You've mentions Steam twice, can I ask what you talking about please, I've searched Steam and X-wing Alliance isn't on there as far as I can see.

I added it to Steam as a shortcut, I'm sure I said that in my post :S

I know It isn't officially supported so I know you probably won't fix it, but I thought I would bring it up anyways in case other people like to use Steam shortcuts.
Last edited by Tuskin on Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

priest81
Recruit

Post by priest81 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:45 pm

I think what he's talking about is having a quick link in Steam. Even if it isn't a steam native app, you can drop it in your game library. I've not found it too useful; but I grew up on Windows 3.1, and I'm used to having folders all over the place instead of one big library.

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:47 pm

Darksaber wrote:You've mentions Steam twice, can I ask what you talking about please, I've searched Steam and X-wing Alliance isn't on there as far as I can see.

Or

If your not talking about Steam could you explain in Common English what your actually talking about please?
There is a feature in Steam that will let you execute any game you have installed on your system via Steam even though the game itself is not available on the platform. The upside to that is that you can use some of Steams features. You can bring up an overlay and it will then let you chat with friends and you can actually stream your video for others to watch as well. I think the latter is what Tuskin would like to do. I don't think it'll be easy to find out why it's not working though and not sure if it will even be fixable if someone finds the problem.
Maybe JérémyaFr has an idea on what the cause could be. But since there seems to be a workaround using other tools I don't think it should be high on the list of things that need to be done.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:54 pm

Ok thanks for the explanation Force, now I understand sort of :?

I've had enough of getting things to work with GoG, I'm not getting involved with Steam, sorry but that's above my paygrade :D I don't want anything to do with it. :)
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:19 pm

Forceflow wrote:

Or

If your not talking about Steam could you explain in Common English what your actually talking about please?
There is a feature in Steam that will let you execute any game you have installed on your system via Steam even though the game itself is not available on the platform. The upside to that is that you can use some of Steams features. You can bring up an overlay and it will then let you chat with friends and you can actually stream your video for others to watch as well. I think the latter is what Tuskin would like to do. I don't think it'll be easy to find out why it's not working though and not sure if it will even be fixable if someone finds the problem.
Maybe JérémyaFr has an idea on what the cause could be. But since there seems to be a workaround using other tools I don't think it should be high on the list of things that need to be done.
Well it works fine with the umodified GOG release, so I don't know.

Oh well, works fine without Steam so I'll just use it that way.

DTM

Post by DTM » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:40 pm

Congratulation Darksaber!
A big thank you to all people involved in this project. This patch is the best!

Destex
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Destex » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:07 pm

Thanks for the update!
Can someone confirm that in the ESC menu it still says Craft Pack 1.1? I'm pretty sure my installation process completed successfully, but it still says 1.1 when I hit ESC. This was my installation process - The installer prompt me to uninstall 1.1, I did, and then I ran it again and it installed 1.2.

vipe155
Recruit

Post by vipe155 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:14 pm

Destex wrote:Thanks for the update!
Can someone confirm that in the ESC menu it still says Craft Pack 1.1? I'm pretty sure my installation process completed successfully, but it still says 1.1 when I hit ESC. This was my installation process - The installer prompt me to uninstall 1.1, I did, and then I ran it again and it installed 1.2.
Mine says 1.1 also.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:23 am

Well if that's the only thing wrong with this I'll be happy :)

But if you wish to download it again, I've fixed that small error, it now reads v1.2
- John Lydgate

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:06 am

Great job guys. Now on the runway ... the next DSUCP then TFTC after that. :-)
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

Avarice1987
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Avarice1987 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:24 pm

Great Job, Thank you for the Work!

Raziel1082
Recruit

Post by Raziel1082 » Sun Mar 08, 2015 1:00 pm

Yeeehhhaaaa!! Great job Darksaber! Thanks!

solamnic
Recruit

Post by solamnic » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:58 pm

Can you please check that number 1-9 work while flying?
(in hangar they work - someone can see external views of the ship, but they do not work while flying)

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:15 pm

Try pressing / on your keypad for external view and * and rotate your joystick.

GOG XWA comes with a manual, if you haven't got the GOG version, you can download the manual from my website, follow the link below and look for the image on the right hand side that says "Download The PDF XWA Manual", right click the link and save, open and read it, familiarize yourself with the keyboard layout!!!!!
- John Lydgate

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:38 am

Great

TNT
Cadet 4th Class

Post by TNT » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:08 am

So just to make sure I understand correctly, Reimar’s XWA Hacker patch is still needed to play the game in high definition (with the GoG version)?

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:43 am

TNT wrote:So just to make sure I understand correctly, Reimar’s XWA Hacker patch is still needed to play the game in high definition (with the GoG version)?
Without XWA Hacker, only the following resolutions are supported:
  • 640 x 480
  • 800 x 600
  • 1024 x 768
  • 1152 x 864
  • 1280 x 1024
  • 1600 x 1200
XWA Hacker is needed to use any other resolution.

TNT
Cadet 4th Class

Post by TNT » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:03 am

Ah.....so any widescreen ratios.

Thanks!

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:24 am

Even 4k works, though the Text becomes almost unreadable haha

priest81
Recruit

Post by priest81 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:13 pm

can I ask, why the difference between the XWAUCP and DSUCP?