MXvTED4 Access Denied

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

MXvTED4 Access Denied

gender4
Recruit

Post by gender4 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:29 pm

Thank you for the updates to this game. I've have the game working on a Windows 7 64 system. The only problem I am running into is some of the cockpits are not in the correct place. I've searched the forums for advice and have found the necessary adjustments to do in MXcTed4. I downloaded it and installed it but when I point the program to the XWINGALLIANCE.exe I would like to use, I am met with an "file access denied" error when it restarts. I've opened the program in administrator mode and compatibility mode as well. I've also made the entire X-Wing Alliance folder readable.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advanced

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:14 pm

In the folder you have your Mxvted4.exe there should be a file called mxvted.ini

open it, and the path to your XWA Dir should look something like this (depending where you have installed XWA that is)

C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\X-Wing Alliance\
XwingAlliance.exe

you will get an IO error if it is in one complete line "C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\X-Wing Alliance\XwingAlliance.exe"
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

gender4
Recruit

Post by gender4 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:27 pm

This is exactly what is in the mxvted file

C:\Program Files (x86)\LucasArts\X-Wing Alliance\
XWINGALLIANCE.EXE

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:38 pm

you say you have made the xwa dir readable, but have you made the individual files readable

namely
Shiplist.txt
Specdesc.txt
Strings.txt

and in the flightmodels folder
Equipment0.lst
Spacecraft0.lst

and of course
XwingAlliance.exe

I'm running on win 7 x64 and haven't come across this problem

[This is entirely optional just and Idea]

But I do have UCA disabled (bloody annoying)

Control Panel/User Accounts/Change User Account settings slide the controller right to the bottom
And restart your machine

otherwise can you post a screenshot???

[Edit] Just done a few tests setting the text file to read only, nothing occured
but!!!
Setting the XwingAlliance.exe to read only I got the Access Denied message

So make sure your XwingAlliance.exe IS NOT set to read only
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

gender4
Recruit

Post by gender4 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:21 am

Went through all your steps including turning off UCA (all the files were readable) and it worked. Thanks for all the hard work you have done to make this game playable!

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:23 am

Your welcome
- John Lydgate

Rogue_28
Recruit

Post by Rogue_28 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:38 pm

Hello there, sorry to revive a five years old topic.
I get the File access denied error as soon as I open Mxvted4 for the first time and then again when i select XWINGALLIANCE.EXE and reopen it.
I even turned off the UAC but still not working.
I'm running with windows 10. I have an x wing alliance disc for Xp. Patched to modern systems and then installed the craft pack from xwingupgrade site. Everything works fine. I'd just like to mod some stats (now that I know it's possible through this tool).
I just can't solve that error. Can you help?

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:57 pm

When I had Win10 installed I couldn't run half the utilities made for XWA including MXvTED, I got the same errors.
The one reason I reverted back to Win7
I don't know if anyone else can confirm the errors or not, perhaps those who are running Win10 might be of help, if they have it running or not.

Sorry I can't be of more help
- John Lydgate

Tackleberry
Recruit

Post by Tackleberry » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:06 pm

The only tool I have problems with on Win 10 is BinHexEdit, When I try to change a property on something, I get an Error 70 'Access Denied'