RPG Ship Stat Conversion for X-wing Alliance

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

RPG Ship Stat Conversion for X-wing Alliance

FVBonura
Cadet 4th Class

Post by FVBonura » Mon May 01, 2017 2:53 am

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and I am in need your expertise.

I am attempting to translate the ship stats from the X-wing Alliance PC Game into The Star Wars Roleplaying Game statistics for the West End Games RPG.

Any help you guys can provide to better understand the meanings of the ship stats in the PC game would be huge in helping me achieve my goal.

My first questions:
  • How do "System Hits" work?
    How are "System Hits" different from "Hull Rating" (RU/Resistance Units)?
Any help would be appreciated and thank you in advance for your help.

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Mon May 01, 2017 11:29 am

To get approximate speed values for fighters divide the MGLT speed by 10. This is the easiest one to convert, as hull, shields, and maneuverability are all based on dice rolls in WEG. You'll have to compare ships that are already in the RPG, however there you'll run into a few problems because the two games scale differently (IE, the X-wing is actually MORE maneuverable than the TIE/ln in WEG).

System hits refers to how resistant a ship is to ion cannon fire.

FVBonura
Cadet 4th Class

Post by FVBonura » Mon May 01, 2017 12:41 pm

The most accurate way to translate them is on a spreadsheet is using a scatter chart with WEG stats for known ships on the X axis and XWA ships on Y axis that have analogs in the RPG. Then using trend lines, to find a relationship between the two sets of stats, and the corresponding formula that defines the relationship. Once you do that, you can work with each stat one-by-one with the formula to fill in the blanks. That's the easy part.

The Hard part is understanding what some of these stat numbers effect in the PC Game. :?

For example: How do "System Hits" work? AND how are "System Hits" different from "Hull Rating" (RU/Resistance Units)?

FVBonura
Cadet 4th Class

Post by FVBonura » Mon May 01, 2017 3:19 pm

Thank you, The Saxman, I'm still trying to wrap my head around this.

Ok so "System Hits" only affect Ion cannons but somehow that will have to be factored into Hull value as the ship's hull value is rolled against in the RPG. I knew this was going to be a big project.

Next Question: What does the "Counters" stat do in the game?

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Mon May 01, 2017 8:33 pm

Countermeasures.

FVBonura
Cadet 4th Class

Post by FVBonura » Tue May 02, 2017 12:12 pm

Again, The Saxman, thank you.

As you know I have been using MXvTED 3.0 to look at the stats. There is a stat called "Shield Decharge?" with a question mark. Has this organization determined this metric is in fact Shield Discharge?

Again thank you for your help.

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Tue May 02, 2017 3:35 pm

AFAIK that's the rate your shields drain if you cut power. I'm not sure how 25% and 0% shield power compares, though.

FVBonura
Cadet 4th Class

Post by FVBonura » Wed May 03, 2017 12:52 am

Thank you, The Saxman, you have been pivotal in my progress. :gott: :D

I have been using the SUM of Shield Rating SBD + Shield Recharge + Shield Decharge, generated from MXvTED 3.0 on the XWA axis for shields compared to SWRPG stats and I have a formula that is punching out fairly accurate RPG stats for ships that were never in the RPG.

Some of the revelations I have made are the following.
- Darth Vader's TIE Fighter and the TIE Advanced (T/A) are very different ships.
- XWA corrected the RPG shield mistake on the Authority IRD (IRD).
- XWA assumes the Cloakshape Fighter (Clk/F) has formidable (2D) aftermarket shields.
- XWA uses the BTL-S3 shields on its BTL-A4 Y-Wing (Y-W).
- XWA used the stats for Boba Fett's, Slave I, for the Firespray Attack Ship (FRS) instead of the stock production model.
- XWA used the stats for Boba Fett's, Slave II, for the Pursuer Enforcement Ship (PES) instead of the stock production model.
- Assuming it is Slave II, XWA upgraded the Pursuer Enforcement Ship (PES) shields to 2D. This makes sense compared to the RPG stats that only improves Slave II's hull.

XWA fixed a bunch of stat mistakes in the RPG. Flight time in the simulator is good for playtesting.

I have questions about the OPT file's scale in my next post. Again Thank you. ;)

FVBonura
Cadet 4th Class

Post by FVBonura » Wed May 03, 2017 1:06 am

OK my next bit of confusion is the scale of the OPT models.

For example the YT-2000:
- The in-game Tech Library says its: 29m long
- The OPTech Import tool says its: 29.65m long
- I used the 3DS conversion tool and manually measured the YT-2000 mesh and it was: 30.58m long.

On average the OPTech Import tool produces 3D models about 4% smaller than 3DS imports. I am confused and have no idea why this is happening.

:kopfwand: :hilfe: :?

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Wed May 03, 2017 5:31 pm

I've had lots of fun trying to reconcile all the ship stats between the films, RPG, and X-Wing games. As I noted before, the speeds and maneuverability of the X-wing, TIE, and Y-wing:

The X-wing we SHOULD have in the X-Wing games is the T-65B, as that's the version which appeared on-screen, and is the most representative. According to ILM's production charts it had a top speed of 100 MGLT, same as the TIE fighter and the Y-wing(!).

HOWEVER, in the WEG RPG, the T-65B and Y-wing have a speed of 8 Space. There are also two TIE starfighters, the TIE Fighter and TIE/ln. The former has the same 8 space, while the TIE/ln is 10 space. The T-65C A2 has a speed of 10, as well, while the A-wing has 12.

Totally Games used a 1:10 ratio for converting the speeds of the Y-wing, T-65C, TIE/ln, and A-wing. This ends up with the X-wing and TIE faster than the Y-wing, and the A-wing at a speed of 120 MGLT (it should be 150 according to ILM) which disagrees with the production charts. However I found that if you multiply the speeds of the Y-Wing, T-65B, TIE (standard) and A-wing by 12.5, you get a match for the ILM charts. This also appears to apply correctly on the B-wing, as well. In which case the sole abberation is the TIE Interceptor, which has the same 10 space as the TIE/ln and T-65C, but has a speed of 110 in the X-Wing games (which at the 1:10 ratio as the rest of the canon fighters ought to result in 11 space).

And as noted before, the X-wing SHOULD be more maneuverable than the TIE, according to both ILM and WEG: The Y-wing's maneuverability is 2D. The TIE and TIE/ln are at 2D+1, the T-65B and C at 3D, the TIE Interceptor at 3D+1, and the A-wing at 4D should be the most maneuverable.

FVBonura
Cadet 4th Class

Post by FVBonura » Fri May 05, 2017 1:47 am

Again thank you for your help. Any thoughts on the scale issues I mentioned above?

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Fri May 05, 2017 2:15 am

I think that's just errors within the conversion process.

FVBonura
Cadet 4th Class

Post by FVBonura » Wed May 10, 2017 3:27 am

OK I know Fire Sensitivity has been discussed in other threads but I am wondering where the WXA stats should be averaged in to RPG stats. Should it be averaged with maneuverability or the ship's hull rating?

FVBonura
Cadet 4th Class

Post by FVBonura » Wed May 10, 2017 3:31 am

The Saxman wrote:I think that's just errors within the conversion process.
I think I will make some inquiries in the modeling threads.

FVBonura
Cadet 4th Class

Post by FVBonura » Sat May 13, 2017 2:21 am

I'm a bit confused with "Shield Decharge".

Is a larger number a better stat than a lower number?

Right now I am calculating the XWA Shield Value to be compared to the RPG value using the following formula:

Shield Value = Shield Rating SBD + Shield Recharge - Shield Discharge

If a higher Shield Decharge number is better than I need to change the formula to:

Shield Value = Shield Rating SBD + Shield Recharge + Shield Discharge