Hi! Going to be doing some LP-type stuff - have q's!

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Hi! Going to be doing some LP-type stuff - have q's!

Algren
Recruit

Post by Algren » Mon May 08, 2017 10:33 am

First off: Hello! I am amazed and warmed by the fact that this community still exists. I'm even more impressed by the level of quality the mods produced have had since the beginning, right up until now! I spent my youth on XvT and I'm enjoying XWA very much so far!

I'm going to be making some XWA content with a friend and I'd like to ask a few questions:

I want to do a few videos, ramping up in difficulty. Does anyone have any suggestions for a nice, leisurely first mission for my friend and I to fly? I reckon he'll want the A-Wing as he's a sucker for speed. I have a soft spot for the Y-Wing, so I might use that. What should the rest of mission be? What ships/AI would be a good call?

Secondly - is there any way to install the T-70 and still have the T-65 available?

Whether you choose to comment or not - keep flying, you fools! :)

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Mon May 08, 2017 10:05 pm

Yes, you can install the T-70 and other X-Wing types now with working S-Foils, and still have the basic T65 available thanks to Jeremy's S-foil Hook. You can also install any other ship into empty slots, or overwrite existing ships using BHEdit, or MXvTED (I prefer the latter myself).

It isn't that difficult to do, but for somebody not familiar with installing mods manually in general you're going to want to download the editors and read the tutorials found on Darksaber's website. http://www.darksaber.xwaupgrade.com

Also, if you want a shiplist picture of the ship you're going to need DatTech, or Jeremy's new tool to create a new dat file with the stuff you want to show up.

There is a learning curve for all this, but it's not very hard comparatively to some other games out there with how old this game is.

Be warned though, if you change certain things and try to play multiplayer with someone without the exact same changes, you will either hard crash (in the event you're trying to use a mod ship the other person doesn't have (this would also apply if it was in a different slot in their game) or major latency issues in the event that you're using the Imperial Concourse and they're using the Rebel Concourse (due to the major changes in the strings.txt file, that will make the game unplayable due to the resulting lag. I've written up some documentation about this a few years ago, but I need to find where I put it before I can share it.

As for what kind of mission to do, if you're wanting to do a LP and don't want to make a mission from scratch, then you might just want to play the first mission regarding joining the Alliance in XWA,it's 10BM8W.TIE. For the A-Wing I'd recommend 1B1M3G.TIE, the third mission after completing the two recruitment missions.

Otherwise I have a mission I created recently based off of the FFG X-Wing fan campaign Heroes of the Aturi Cluster first mission, with a bit of creative license used to adapt the table top game to a digital narrative format, I just need to finish the animated briefing and do some ingame messages, perhaps some VO work and it'll be ready, but otherwise it's playable. You'll be able to choose either X or Y wing at first to fly it (though it could be adapted to utilize any ship), but the intention of HOTAC is to allow upgrade to new ships later as pilot skill increases.

It's not very difficult, per se if you think fast and are paying attention to your surroundings, but you'll definitively fail if you aren't familiar with XWA game mechanics and paying attention to the situation as it unfolds.

It can be played in singleplayer, but it is also intended to be able to be adapted to and played using the XWA COOP campaign mod, the balance with multiple players has not been tested, but it can be completed with one player either way.

XWAUCP with appropriate hooks from Jeremy will be needed to play it due to the direction I intend to take things in the future. And in the future missions specific mods being installed in specific slots may be required.

If interested in testing it multiplayer let me know and we can work out some contact info and try to set up a game to test the multiplayer balance. Otherwise I can finish stuff up and you can critique it for me solo. Nobody else has yet played it, so feedback would be nice in regards to difficulty.

Algren
Recruit

Post by Algren » Tue May 09, 2017 8:16 am

Thanks for the reply! Well, we totally ballsed up attempt one. Need to mess about with ports for our next session. We tried using Gameranger and we had massive connection issues, and the models became horrible-looking along with a complete loss of textures. But we shan't give up! I'm going to install it from scratch again and just install the main Upgrade pack.

I tried to remake the ISD Dominance mission from XvT as a warm-up. However, once I've taught Tony the game in that, I'd love to give your mission a go! Both of us dabble in V/O and acting stuff in general, so if we can help out, let me know! For ref: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCad5Pf ... HzllpHSJ0A We're going to 're-brand' a little, and tidy up the intro etc.

Thanks again for the reply! Exciting times! :)

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Tue May 09, 2017 11:57 am

I would probably just use direct IP to join each other's games since you're not looking for a random pickup match, it's generally more efficient, and you don't have to worry about third party issues. The guys I've played XWA with since early 2000s pretty much used that exclusively if we weren't doing Week of War vs other clans, and we never had any issues beyond my dialup limitations at the time. Even then it was mostly playable.

At the very least until you figure out Gameranger or another working program, I would also suggest possibly google searching Errant Venture, it's a utility for grouping up like MSN gaming zone (obviously defunct) that I think was created by Emperor's Hammer TIE Corps. from what I recall.

Also, check to make sure your multiplayer settings match your single player settings. Also make sure your game settings match what the XWAU readme's say or else you'll get the buggered up textures issue since the models aren't rendering right for your system. With modern computers you can run everything pretty much at max with zero issues.

Algren
Recruit

Post by Algren » Wed May 10, 2017 9:14 am

We've tried to use the direct IP connection. We started with Tony just timing out, last night we got closer, it errored immediately, which feels like we're moving in the right direction. My Steam install is no longer playing ball with Gameranger, as it keeps doing the first time install which stops Gameranger doing it's thing. I've forwarded these ports:

TCP 2300-2400
UDP 2300-2400
TCP 47624
UDP 6073

And UDP 16000 for GR.

But not sure what else I can do.

The Errant venture site is showing that it's frozen so I wasn't able to get anything from it.

We completely wiped our installs and have completely vanilla games until we can work out the problems.