Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Re: Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:02 am

Well for the Resistence it pretty much is Yavin again. With the First Order not being perceived as a threat and Leia being considered a hardliner by many, there was little to no funding.

No money, no ships.
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

Marcos_Edson
XWAU Member

Post by Marcos_Edson » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:36 pm

Yeah... I heven't read the new canon books but from what i understand the New Republic tried to demilitarize the galaxy or something like that, something Leia didn't completely agree... We saw the effects of that, most if not all the NR fleet was destroyed in a single blow... Regarding funds, I read some article where it mentioned the planet the Resistance is stationed in this movie is also source of some kind of crystals that both are sold for income as well used as weapons on new/modified B-wings, not sure how reliable this info is...
SETI
"There can be only one..."
"I'm an otaku! Have a problem with that?"

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:09 am

The Saxman wrote:The irony is there really WASN'T a need to design "new" versions of either the X-wing OR A-wing. Just look at real life; the F-15 and F-16 are around 40 years old, and very little has changed in their external appearance. Almost all their improvements have been internal.

Kinda would have preferred had they just gone the EU route of continuing the T-65 and RZ-1, while introducing completely new designs such as the E-wing alongside them.
Well, the F-15 and F-16 were created by the world's most technologically advanced superpower and have been in-service during a time of relative peace, losses in combat have been exceedingly rare. I think the better comparison would be American Fighter Development between 1935-45.

Rebel fighters in the original trilogy were either Clone War relics kept running with spit and tape, retrofitted "off the shelf" planetary defence fighters or failed bids for the Imperial Navy.

According to current Canon the T-70 was in service in time for the Battle of Jakku, which makes it a war-time design of the new Republic relatively recently retired and shunted to the Rebellion, the fighters in TFA may be up to 25 years old themselves, with the current Republic version being the T-85. Likely we'll see T-85's in TLJ and they will looks the same as the T-70.
1st Lt Sigurd "BattleDog" Stormhand, Assigned Corsair Squadron, Renegade Wing, CRS Vigilant.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

Knightsaber
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Knightsaber » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:30 am

General_Trageton wrote:Well for the Resistence it pretty much is Yavin again. With the First Order not being perceived as a threat and Leia being considered a hardliner by many, there was little to no funding.

No money, no ships.
That's a bit of an idiot plot if you ask me. It simply doesn't make any sense. Maybe Hosnian Prime deserved to get vaporized for that stupidity.

CIDlord_1973
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by CIDlord_1973 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:39 am

Yeah, the new ties are awfull...all my life believing they had solar pannels, and now they paint it white!!!
LOL
One of the best things from rogue one is the tie striker (i love ittt, they should use it as the new order fighter) and of course the u-wing.
The force awakens is really a poor movie in many ways.
They didn't work too hard on the creation of new ships or new worlds...even Lucas said that.
The precuels was much better.
I'll only save Rey, the falcon and the new star destroyer.

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:38 am

CIDlord_1973 wrote: The precuels was much better.
getout[1].gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Marcos_Edson
XWAU Member

Post by Marcos_Edson » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:19 pm

The Saxman wrote:
CIDlord_1973 wrote: The precuels was much better.
getout[1].gif
:lachtot: :lachtot: :lachtot: :lachtot: :lachtot:
SETI
"There can be only one..."
"I'm an otaku! Have a problem with that?"

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:53 pm

TFA wasn't an overly ambitious movie, but it was still a decent enough start. I'd take that over "The taxation of trade routes is in dispute."

As for the Resistance, they were shunned by many, but they also had several rich senators funding them. And surely they could have gotten some sort of bomber, rather than pushing the X-wing into a bomber role for their attack on Starkiller Base.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:45 pm

Knightsaber wrote:That's a bit of an idiot plot if you ask me. It simply doesn't make any sense. Maybe Hosnian Prime deserved to get vaporized for that stupidity.

Welcome to the world of politics!

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:53 pm

Kylo Ren's TIE Fighter officially revealed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMTExpDs7WA&t=61

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kylo_Ren ... E_silencer
https://media.giphy.com/media/BRGV3FWGipNtu/source.mp4

Only thing I dislike is the top hatch, it clashes with the flat angles on the rest of the body.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:39 am

Hm the wings look nice and evil. Can't say I like that cockpit window tho. Too rectangular and blocky for my taste. They should've gone with something rounder to stay in the TIE design.

This one kinda looks like a TIE interceptor mating with a VW Golf ...

DTM

Post by DTM » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:13 pm

The cockpit is similar to the original TG Tie Avenger...
I agree, there is something from the 1985 VW Golf... :D

Personally I like the new A-Wing. Probabbly I will make a nice opt of it...

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:24 pm

OK this is getting weird! Googling for a bit I noticed that quite a few depictions of the TIE Avenger kinda resemble that one, at least with regards to the rectangular cockpit ...

Be it as it its, the TG/XWAU Avenger is and shall stay my all-time favorite of all TIEs.!

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:48 pm

New First Order dreadnought revealed and more info on the FO Walker

https://youtu.be/vTNJNRXfSIg

even more info on the designs

http://www.starwars.com/news/inside-two ... -last-jedi

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:26 pm

So, first they copy the Avenger and remake it into the TIE Silencer, now they copied the Vindicator and made it into a FO Dreadnought :lachtot:

Edit: Having said that, it's supposedly 7km long which is pretty big. Will be interesting to see what it can do.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:59 am

Jaeven wrote:So, first they copy the Avenger and remake it into the TIE Silencer, now they copied the Vindicator and made it into a FO Dreadnought :lachtot:

Edit: Having said that, it's supposedly 7km long which is pretty big. Will be interesting to see what it can do.
Its class name is also Mandator IV. (I through III were in the old EU)

It seems to be built for orbital strikes, judging by those two giant orbital cannons on the bottom.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:27 am

Hm interesting design, although by far not as impressive looking as the Resurgent. I can't help but think it looks like a slice of pizza. And those cannons seem ridiculously out of scale, way too giant.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:26 pm

according to the Q&A the flat top was at the request of the director, for story reasons.

I think that round pit in the middle of the ship might be related.

Saw speculation that a resurgent could dock there.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:24 pm

Oookay, so now we have a freighter based of a hamburger and a dreadnought that looks like a pizza slice.

What's next, Ancho-Wings or PIE Fighters?

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:47 am

Tuskin wrote:according to the Q&A the flat top was at the request of the director, for story reasons.

I think that round pit in the middle of the ship might be related.

Saw speculation that a resurgent could dock there.
That'd be a bit crowded for a Resurgent, imo. I do wonder what those story reasons will be though.
General_Trageton wrote:Hm interesting design, although by far not as impressive looking as the Resurgent. I can't help but think it looks like a slice of pizza. And those cannons seem ridiculously out of scale, way too giant.
To be fair, all Imperial ships look a bit like a slice of pizza. Though I agree on the other parts. And considering the ship is 7km long, its armament of two orbital autocannons (whatever those do) and 24 point-defense anti-aircraft cannons, (anti-air? In space? Really?) seems a bit... lackluster.

As for the Resurgent, a bit off topic here, but are you by any chance still working on your Resurgent model for XWA?

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:48 pm

The Resurgent, along with other ST ships are going to be in Battlefront 2, assuming they got direct references from LucasFilm/ILM like they did with the first game, it will be a good source reference shots.

I'm going to be buying it, so if anyone here wants reference shots of anything, feel free to ask when November comes along.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:46 am

I may call you up on that offer, haven't made any major progress on the Resurgent since my last updates, in parts owed to lack of references. (And to some degree lazyness on my part)

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:39 am

60km Mega Star Destroyer anyone?
http://screenrant.com/star-wars-sphero- ... supremacy/

Looks like an oversized B12 bomber....

And there seems to be a new Calamari Cruiser named after Admiral Raddus (Rogue One). That's actually kinda nice!

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:27 am

Someone's compensating for something.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:54 pm

Here are some images

Supremacy, Mega-Class Star Destroyer, it is 60KM wide, not front to back:
It serves as a mobile HQ/Command centre for the First Order, it can build and repair ships
https://i.imgur.com/bZXQzP9.png
https://i.redd.it/xvdcqdgbb8jz.jpg

Here is a (fan made) scale chart I saw on another forum comparing it to the ISD, SSD and the Resurgent Class

https://i.imgur.com/SkjXK2I.png

The only image of the new Resistance ship is this
https://i.imgur.com/oZn5Jir.png