LucasFilm Ruining the Falcon

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

LucasFilm Ruining the Falcon

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:45 am

So I just saw a report that when the Falcon appears in the Young Han Solo movie, she's going to be...

I can hardly even bring myself to say it...

BRAND NEW.

Story here, but in short, she's going to be a brand new ship when Lando owns her. They'll be using the old theory that the mandibles allow her to pick up and move cargo containers, which isn't bad. But then they're going to go and DESTROY the unique character of the most iconic hunk of junk in science fiction.

Even WORSE: They're defacing her hull with that godawful colored trim splashed over every other ship from the Prequel era. As if completely screwing up the aesthetic of Star Destroyers with that shit wasn't bad enough.

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:52 am

You're gonna hate me for saying this but it would kinda make some weird kind of sense to me, because
1. every hunk of of junk's gotta be new at some point, preferrably at the beginning.
2. It's Lando's ship so he'll want it to look swaggy.

As for the paint job ... well that may have been overdoing it.

Edit: looking at the pic again, though, I must say it looks anythinh but brand new.
That or the painter was sloppy ..
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:23 am

The pic was just an example, it's concept art for Episode III that they're recycling to give an idea of what it would look like.

And the problem is the Falcon was supposed to be old even when Lando owned her.

Omega_Trust
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Omega_Trust » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:14 pm

Seriously, could you rewrite that post, but be even MORE dramatic this time?

"Was supposed to be old"? According to what? The EU? Big whoop.

This is hardly "ruining the Falcon".

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:48 pm

Omega_Trust don't be a dick! Everyone's entitled to there own opinions, sad but true this includes you, but just play nice, please.

To be honest I wouldn't expect the Falcon to be brand new even when Lando had it.

I don't know how true this is, as I took it off Wookiepedia
The YT-1300f light freighter designated unit YT 492727ZED was built in by the Corellian Engineering Corporation more than 90 years before the First Order–Resistance conflict. As was intended, the ship began its career as an intermodal tug pushing container in orbital freight yards. Just after the Battle of Coruscant it was seen docking in the Senate Office Building. At some point, the ship acquired the name Millennium Falcon, and came into the hands of a human gambler called Lando Calrissian, who began to modify the freighter, inside and out. However, Calrissian ended up betting his ship in a "Corellian Spike" game of sabacc, and he lost to the smuggler Han Solo. Under the captaincy of Solo, the Falcon was further customized.
Han Solo died when he was around 60/64, so that makes the Falcon at least 30 year old when Solo was born, Lando can't of been much older than Han.

So I can't see how the Falcon is going to be brand new in the Han Solo film.

But saying that Disney and Lucasfilm have buggered up the timelines with this Canon and Legends crap
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

Omega_Trust
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Omega_Trust » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:51 pm

Not being a dick, just calling it like it is.

Here's a crazy thought, maybe the fact that the Falcon is in the possession of Lando Calrissian whom we know has conceits maybe, just maybe likes trying to keep a nice exterior on his ride.

Having a new paint job doesn't mean the ship itself is new (especially if we're to take that brief easter egg in RotS of a YT-1300 actually being what would eventually be THE Falcon).

It will be a nice contrast to Lando's style vs Han's substance. Either way, this is hardly ruining the Falcon.

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:30 pm

Next he's going to say, "Getting rid of the strobe light and William Daniels' voice would hardly ruin KITT" or, "Sewing Wade's mouth shut didn't ruin Deadpool."

The Falcon is DEFINED by looking like a rusted out beater on the surface, but actually being a hotrod under the hood. Changing that changes the entire nature of the ship.

Atx
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atx » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:35 pm

Saxman I think Han would have given it a flat paint job because he was using it primarily for smuggling and wouldn't want any distinct markings on the craft.

Honestly, I like the idea that the vehicle takes on the personality of its owner and Lando seemed to be a bit partial to Blue (if I saw it correctly?) Lando was all about 'the looks' and would definitely 'pimp his ride' no matter how garish it might strike us.

So the vehicle is 30 yrs old...no reason it couldn't be kept in pristine condition or partially restored under Lando's care.

But the movie man, that is what hurts - Disney is struggling to find the right directors first time out. :(
The Navbuoy is closed...long live the XWAU!!!

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:16 am

Omega_Trust wrote:(especially if we're to take that brief easter egg in RotS of a YT-1300 actually being what would eventually be THE Falcon).
That is still canonically the Falcon, which makes it weird why they would call it new for this movie.
I guess since it is such a minor cameo they don't mind ignoring it.
General_Trageton wrote: Edit: looking at the pic again, though, I must say it looks anythinh but brand new.
That or the painter was sloppy ..
That picture is from an old toy, MSW is just using it as a representation. it isn't from the film.
The Saxman wrote:They'll be using the old theory that the mandibles allow her to pick up and move cargo containers, which isn't bad.
That info actually almost appeared in the TFA cross section book. There is concept art for it.
http://i.imgur.com/x4BLnJ7.png
The Saxman wrote: Even WORSE: They're defacing her hull with that godawful colored trim splashed over every other ship from the Prequel era. As if completely screwing up the aesthetic of Star Destroyers with that shit wasn't bad enough.
So? We know it won't look that way by the OT. Why does it matter? Han obviously paints over it. It feels very Lando anyways.

Omega_Trust
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Omega_Trust » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:23 pm

N'ah, next I'm going to say is simmer down, drama queen.

The Falcon can reasonably defined by it's owner.

In fact it would be hilarious if it turns out that Han and Chewie's less than awesome ability to maintain the Falcon (established) is what led it to the state of disrepair, since in Empire upon landing on Cloud City one of the first things Lando says to Han after the fakeout is "What did you do to my ship!?"

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:56 pm

AFTER Han specifically said he was in for repairs. And Lando HIMSELF called her the "fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy" in the exact same scene.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:24 am

The Saxman wrote:AFTER Han specifically said he was in for repairs. And Lando HIMSELF called her the "fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy" in the exact same scene.
A hunk of junk can still look good.