A Long Time Ago on a Server Far, Far Away...

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

A Long Time Ago on a Server Far, Far Away...

Rich C
Lieutenant

Post by Rich C » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:19 am

One of the things I've always loved about this community is the pretty rich history both we and this game series have, but it seems that, over the years, a good deal of information has gotten lost along with the many sites that have disappeared. A lot has happened since the beginnings of the "OPT Project" and the first forays into pulling the assets in these games apart, and I thought it might be good (for forum members new and old alike) to have a thread where those that have been here for "quite a while" can lay down the history of the community, fill in any blanks and maybe answer questions about old members, happenings, limitations, etc. XWAU became the de facto community hub, (despite those on X-Wing: Legacy who claimed that XWAU would never release anything beyond the Rebel Fighter Patch, so long ago) so this should probably be where we keep that kind of information, IMHO.

Anyway, I got into a nostalgia wave a few months back, started reading through all the old TG interviews and guides, set up camp on WaybackMachine and visited all the old sites (that I could remember, or still had links for in old ReadMe files); I even stopped by Datamaster's memorial page there, with its "I'm gonna miss this place" embedded Dunari wav still intact.

Here's that page for those who haven't seen or want to re-read Defiant's message, which gives a bit of insight into the early days.
https://web.archive.org/web/20000512004 ... et.net:80/

So what do I have to kick off this thread? Something I'm not sure anyone else has at this point, from deep within my archives. The following was posted on the XW:L forums as-is (possibly on or around the 25th of September, 2001, by Sheldon Sr., but don't quote me on that). It gives a little bit more insight into the history, though with a far lighter tone, drawing from a certain scene in a certain movie:
A FlyinTemple Software Production...
Starring...
Nob Akimoto...
Defiant...
Executive Producers Peter Leahy
Based on "OPTrek" by Larry Holland...
OPTrek Generations

Nob:
"History records you died while saving the OPTUtils-B from a Trojan Outbreak eight months ago."
Defiant:
"So you're telling me that in this year 2000, I'm Sabatelli'd?"
Nob:
"Not exactly, as I explained this is..."
But Nob's words mean almost nothing to Defiant. He is thoroughly
enjoying himself and Nob is almost a distraction. Defiant begins serving
the data into tables and grabs a small zip file of models to put in the
send.

Defiant:
"Lag induced shadow, yes I know." Frowns at tray, "Something's missing."
Then he remembers and turns to look at a nearby compiler- as if on cue,
two new executables pop out. Defiant grins and puts the executables on the
zip. Defiant picks up the zip file and heads for the door.

Nob:
"Administrator, I need your help. I want you to leave this lag with me."
Nob:
"We have to go back to a site called FlyingTemple III, stop a man from spamming it. There are millions of bytes at stake."
Defiant:
"You said the community considers me Sabatelli'd. Who am I to argue with the community?"
Nob
"You're a slicing site administrator and you have a duty to-"
Defiant
"I don't need to be lectured by you. I was out figuring out file formats when your CPU was on the drawing boards. And frankly, I think the community owes me one. I was like you once- so worried about slicing and editing that I couldn't see anything past this hex editor. And in the end, what did it get me? Nothing. Not this time.I'm going to walk up these stairs, march into that chatroom and tell Cola that I want to help him. This time things are going to be different."
Nob suddenly finds himself standing in the doorway of a modern house.
Disks on the floor, posters of Star Wars on the walls, sunlight streaming in
through the slits in the blinds. There are PC workstations on the desks with Tribes
visible. Defiant is standing a short distance away. He looks surprised as
well- and he is no longer holding his file with data.
Nob
"This doesn't look like your chatroom."
Defiant looks around for a moment, the pieces starting to fall into place.
He smiles with a growing realization.
Defiant
"No, no, it's not. It's better."
Nob
"Better?"
Defiant
"This is my room in Florida. I took that modem out for a surf 2 years ago, on a spring day. Just like this. If I'm right, this is the day I met Cola."
Defiant
"This Lag Shadow of yours is very clever. I can start all over again; do things right from day one."
Defiant
"It's kinda like Counter Strike. Exciting for a few minutes, but in the end, you haven't really done anything. You haven't made a difference."
Defiant takes a beat, then looks at Nob. And in a way, he's truly seeing
him for the first time.
Defiant
"Administrator of the X-wing community, huh?"
Nob
"That's right."
Defiant
"Close to giving up?"
Nob
"I hadn't planned on it."
There is a passion and a fervor in Defiant that we haven't seen until now.
Defiant
"Well, let me tell you something- don't. Don't let them flame you. Don't let them irritate you. Don't let anything take you off the admin list of that site. Because while you're there, you can make a difference."
The two administrators face each other for a moment. Nob hears what Defiant is
saying but also knows that's not the whole story. Nob gives him a
direct look, and there is something in Nob's eyes- a glint of resolve
and determination.
Nob
"You don't need to be on the FTP account of a site. Come with me. Help me stop Trident. Make a difference again."
A long, silent beat as Defiant considers Nob. And slowly, unexpectedly,
a smile spreads across his face.
Defiant
"How can I argue with the administrator of the OPTUtils? What was the name of that site? FlyingTemple III?"
Nob
"That's right."
Defiant
"I take it the odds are against us and the situation is grim?"
Nob
"You could say that."
Defiant
"Of course, if Sheldon were here, he'd say I was being an impulsive,illogical administrator for wanting to go on a mission like that."
Defiant
"Sounds like fun."
Hopefully others have stories and insights to share; it'd be great to hear from people that have been around since the very early days, or anyone who has a little history to add, in order to build a more complete picture of how we got here from there. To a point where now, by our old standards, many "impossible" things have been achieved. :D

Finally, many thanks to everyone out there that has helped to keep this community going as long as it has, against all odds. :beer:
"If you're going through hell, keep going."

GHORG
Cadet 4th Class

Post by GHORG » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:34 pm

I have a pile of old Sheldon quotes from the Jedilegacy forums back in the day.

Always funny to see this site still going. It's been 13 years since I last posted here.
14? did I hear 14? This year I'll be 54. Anyone here need to adopt a grandpa?

Sheldon
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Sheldon » Sat May 11, 2019 4:33 pm

I never posted that, but thanks for thinking of me, and a surprise that I see myself in that short story ripped from Generations. :)
Fuck the General