X-Wing Tabletop Game

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

X-Wing Tabletop Game

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:08 am

Tried a quick search but didn't see there was a thread about this already (and honestly I'm feeling too lazy for an in-depth search).

Has anyone here played the Tabletop game by FFG? I've started playing around with it recently (mainly in online trainers/simulators) and it's pretty cool.

I was actually thinking tonight about custom upgrades and stuff to inject a little bit of canon lore into the game. Some of my ideas for any of you who play:
X-Wing Title Card: T-65B X-Wing
Point Cost: 3

When attacking a target against which you have a Target Lock, increase your base attack rating to 4. The Target Lock is not expended.
Basically, this one reflects the X-wing having four laser cannon (so one die for each cannon).
X-Wing Title Card: T-65C A2
Point Cost: 6

When attacking a target against which you have a Target Lock, increase your base attack rating to 4. The Target Lock is not expended. Additionally, you add the Boost and Evade actions to your Action Bar.
Kind of an upgrade to the upgrade, to reflect the C A2's increased engine performance over the T-65B
System Upgrade: Steerable Cannon (A-wing Only)
Point Cost: 2

You gain a firing arc for your primary weapons in the rear.
Steerable guns!
E-Wing Title Card: E-wing Type A
Point Cost: -4

You reduce your base attack to 2.
The under-powered E-wing lasers as a way to reduce its quite high cost even for Rank 1 pilots.
E-Wing Title Card: E-wing Type B
Point Cost: -2

At the end of every attack sequence roll one attack die. On a Blank or Focus receive no effect. If you roll a Hit, receive one Stress Token. On a Critical Hit, draw a damage card and resolve its effects. If you draw Direct Hit, discard and draw again. This card does not count against your hull.
And another way to reduce the cost on the E-wing: The unstable cannon of the Type B.

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:28 pm

I play, HOTAC is fun solo/coop campaign gameplay for the game if you haven't heard of it. It's pretty great, though I've not gotten to get far through the campaign due to life issues.

We just got the Assault Gunboat, so yay. But of course FFG is failing as usual to provide enough product on release and even amazon still has no stock.

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:37 pm

Yeah, I only have the base game and an extra X-wing. I wanted to pick up the E-wing but the shop I checked was out (might do some more poking around elsewhere, tho).

I've mostly been playing around on Squad Benchmark, but I'm taking my stuff out to the family's house on Sunday to try playing for real. I find an E-wing with Corran Horn + Lone Wolf + R2-D2 is a fun combination against the AI there (just tried out adding Proton Torpedoes, Advanced Sensors, and Engine Upgrade as well, and carved up three baseline TIE Interceptors in 14 turns, lol).

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:39 pm

Another card idea:

Rogue Squadron Pilot
Pilot Skill 5, Elite Upgrade
X-wing

"We're Rogue Squadron. We do." When outnumbered, you can perform any Maneuver of your choice during the Action phase, even if your ship is normally unable to perform that maneuver, in which case add one stress token.

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:10 pm

Odanan on FFG forums has a lot of card ideas, and runs contests frequently in case you're curious. Also pick up Strange Eons and the X-Wing plugin, you can make and print your own custom cards for days. They also have an Armada one.

If you're looking for custom printed ships in 1/270 then Mel Miniatures, Gosric, Alien Luxury Miniatures on Shapeways have most of the X-Wing series ships available in various materials, though don't buy worse than Frosted Ultra Detail for fighters, and I would say Action 6+ size WSF is fine by my eye since it's big enough to sand some of the print lines down.

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:28 pm

Corrann Horn wrote:Odanan on FFG forums has a lot of card ideas, and runs contests frequently in case you're curious. Also pick up Strange Eons and the X-Wing plugin, you can make and print your own custom cards for days. They also have an Armada one.

If you're looking for custom printed ships in 1/270 then Mel Miniatures, Gosric, Alien Luxury Miniatures on Shapeways have most of the X-Wing series ships available in various materials, though don't buy worse than Frosted Ultra Detail for fighters, and I would say Action 6+ size WSF is fine by my eye since it's big enough to sand some of the print lines down.
Yeah, I signed up on the FFG forums last week. I'm STILL waiting for their moderators to approve my posts. >:-P I downloaded Strange Eons already since it will help with another project I'm working on.