The E-wing Is Back

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

The E-wing Is Back

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:09 am

So, it seems that the E-wing has been recanonized. Maybe.
ioc3lafke5c01[1].jpg
This is a frame from Poe Dameron #23. Check out the bottom right corner.

And dammit, looks like they used the @#$%ing EGVV design...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rich C
Lieutenant

Post by Rich C » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:33 am

Good thing nothing like this has ever happened before; like, something being called a V-Wing when we already had a perfectly good V-Wing... oh wait. :D

It seems it's only named in some non-canon Lego thing so far, though; it could turn out to have a different name entirely, if it's even shown outside that comic ever again. Even if it is, and it is called an E-Wing, there's room for both types to coexist, just like the V-Wings did; this scene is apparently before Endor, so it's an older ship (relative to the EU one), and "E-Wing" could even be a kind of colloquialism, much like the Old Republic Aurek-class being casually referred to as an "A-Wing".

"Hold your fire; there's no life forms."
:)
"If you're going through hell, keep going."

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:18 pm

Rich C wrote:Good thing nothing like this has ever happened before; like, something being called a V-Wing when we already had a perfectly good V-Wing... oh wait. :D

It seems it's only named in some non-canon Lego thing so far, though; it could turn out to have a different name entirely, if it's even shown outside that comic ever again. Even if it is, and it is called an E-Wing, there's room for both types to coexist, just like the V-Wings did; this scene is apparently before Endor, so it's an older ship (relative to the EU one), and "E-Wing" could even be a kind of colloquialism, much like the Old Republic Aurek-class being casually referred to as an "A-Wing".

"Hold your fire; there's no life forms."
:)
No, this comic is set right before TFA (Poe is WAY too young for this to be before Endor). I don't read the series myself, but Poe is soon going to be leaving for his rendezvous with Lor San Tekka on Jakku.

Rich C
Lieutenant

Post by Rich C » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:47 pm

Ah, sorry, I must've got my wires crossed. The Lego appearance is apparently the pre-Endor one, oops. :ops:

Still, if it does turn out to be final, then there's room for the other look as a variant or field modification, right? You can say that about the EGVV look in legends continuity, too, and I'm sure that one had its die-hard fans that weren't happy with the change. Plus, canon or not, comic art is pretty notorious for being all over the place, especially with big franchises that have a ton of comics coming out every month. One panel in a comic (unless I misunderstand, and it's not just a one-shot cameo) is hardly enough to confirm its official appearance.

I'd guess the artist was either somehow ignorant of any other styles, or just personally prefers the EGVV one; there's no accounting for taste, after all. :D
"If you're going through hell, keep going."

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:55 pm

Speaking of EU ships becoming canon again, this is a couple years old, but the Kanan comic brought back the HWK-290 which made me happy.

For those who don't know ship classes off the top of their heads, that's the class of ship the Moldy Crow from Dark Forces 1 and 2 is.

A recent book also brought back the Dauntless Class design, but changed its name to Marsheem and made it an Ishi Tib ship. It was confirmed by the author that it was meant to be the same design as the Dauntless.

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:25 am

Tuskin wrote: A recent book also brought back the Dauntless Class design, but changed its name to Marsheem and made it an Ishi Tib ship. It was confirmed by the author that it was meant to be the same design as the Dauntless.
If a reference book will be released, I would be curious to see if the Marsheem-class heavy cruiser is still manufactured by SoroSuub Corporation in Canon continuity.
I don't judge tactics. The Battle is the best and only Judge.

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:42 pm

Was very happy when I saw this. Now if they could please bring up the K-wing, Strike Cruiser, Dreadnaught and Victory Star Destroyer I'll be happy.

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:41 pm

Which K-wing? The one McDowell actually described, or the abomination dreamed up by Wizard of the Coast that shows they just plain didn't bother researching it?

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:35 pm

Yeah, I know what you mean. Unfortunately, that one has become completely and utterly mainstreamed. I don't believe there has been a single proper depiction of the K-wing as described in the Black Fleet Crisis.

By the same token, the EU by and large ignored all the ship classes introduced, such as the Nebula or Endurance.

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:46 pm

I second the dread, strike and vic.
Image Image Image Image Image

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:44 pm

The Victory Class is canon, there just hasn't been any been any visual media of it yet, it's only been 'seen' in text, mentioned in the 'Tarkin' novel.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Victory- ... _Destroyer

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:27 pm

Well, we mentioned it a few days ago, and look at that, the Dreadnaught-class Heavy Cruiser is back. Can see it in the Rebels series finale trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi9-oGOgd_M

At 0:13 bottom right and at 0:53 again at almost the same spot. Welcome back Dreadnaught!

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:25 pm

Here's more pictures of the Rebels model

https://i.imgur.com/77Bw90u.jpg

I like the changes, makes the ship look more Imperial/Republic. The organic/curvy look didn't fit the rest of the fleet IMO

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:48 pm

It will be interesting to see if the canon Dreadnaught-class heavy cruiser is hangarless.
I don't judge tactics. The Battle is the best and only Judge.