Ultimate Craft Pack 2.5 Cant find X-Wing Alliance

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Ultimate Craft Pack 2.5 Cant find X-Wing Alliance

Suicidalfoetus
Recruit

Post by Suicidalfoetus » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:28 am

First of all darksaber, I would like to thank you for the work that you do to keep X-Wing Alliance Relevant.

However I am having an issue with the new release of your Ultimate Craft Pack 2.5 on the GOG version.

I have tried installing the game both through GOG Galaxy and through the GOG standalone installer and have had 2.4 working in the past.

Currently however when I try to install the Ultimate Craft Pack 2.5, I select the GOG version and try to install but the installer cannot find the X-Wing Alliance installation, even though I have played the game. I have the same issue with XWA Craft pack 1.5.

I am running Windows 10 Professional Edition, and would appreciate any assistance you can give me.

Just to confirm I have already cleared X-Wing Alliance down to a basic installation and run once to ensure that the issue was not down to modified EXEs.

Regards

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:41 am

Sorry I didn't know about GOG Galaxy, just downloaded it and installed

I found I couldn't install the DSUCP or XWACP either, I've done a bit of investigating and found that both installers search for a specific file to let it know that it it the GOG version it's installing too, if this file can not be found you get the message to reinstall GOG.com X-Wing: Alliance, right?

Well would you believe it the only file I select to make sure it is the GOG version is not present the the GOG Galaxy version of X-Wing Alliance. typical!!

I've fixed this and in the process of recompiling both installer

Sorry about this, but like I said I didn't know about the Gog Galaxy and I didn't think that they would change there files
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

Suicidalfoetus
Recruit

Post by Suicidalfoetus » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:16 pm

Thanks for the response, I'm glad it wasn't me.

In the installer I just get the message that it can't find the game and the installer just asks me to retry or cancel. As I said I even totally uninstalled the game and downloaded the standalone installer, which the game still shows in GOG Galaxy, and still couldn't get the installer to work so I'm wondering if GOG have changed something specific.

I'm going to look at the registry key path in Windows 10, as it may also be something to do with Microsoft and their updates.

I'll try to send you a report of the location to see if that helps you.

Regards

Suicidalfoetus
Recruit

Post by Suicidalfoetus » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:32 pm

Okay just been hunting through the registry.

The registry key that tells the system where the game is installed appears to be located here in Windows 10.

ComputerHKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREWOW6432NodeLucasArts Entertainment Company LLCX-Wing Alliancev1.0

Other registry entries don't list installation locations.

Regards

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:38 pm

I've fixed it, so no need for any report, like I said the Installers search for a specific file to check if it was the GOG version or not

Since GOG have updated there installers, one the files I chose for the installers to check, the GOG Team have removed from there old version of the X-Wing alliance installer.

It was simply my bad choice of file that the DSUCP and XWACP has to check for before it they will install, plus my bad choice of wording when the install failed to find the specific file.

I'm just testing them now and they will be up gain later

I'll PM you
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Suicidalfoetus
Recruit

Post by Suicidalfoetus » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:53 pm

Thanks for the quick response.

If I can ever provide information that can be of help let me know.

Regards

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:26 am

Both XWACPv1.5 and DSUCPv2.5 are now back online

The downtime was due to the GoG Team slightly changing there X-Wing: Alliance installer which then became an ERROR in both the XWACPv1.5 and DSUCPv2.5.

This has now been resolved

Sorry about the inconvenience
- John Lydgate