"Chatnoir"?

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

"Chatnoir"?

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:51 am

So, like, what's the deal with the name "Chatnoir"? Yeah, "Black Cat", I got that, I've just never seen the name in Star Wars context until downloading the DSUCP last month.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:05 am

Not sure, the original Author JM named it MC-80a Chatnoir and I guess it stuck

I now host his Website, you can find the original opt of the Chatnoir on this page, but where he got the name I don't know
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:12 am

Thanks. It's explained there, on the website:
Since part of the XWAU was to replace the TG Calamaris with those seen in Return of the Jedi I was therefore free to create a small backstory for this design of cruiser and make the class-name be the same as the cruiser of this sort that a Role-Play character of mine was commanding (which had been why I'd created the first model).
Kind of an anti-climax, but I guess it's cool for JM that he got his ship name onto all of our briefing screens.

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:34 am

Just wait until Disney makes it canon! XD

Ok who am I kidding...?
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:53 pm

The Totally Games probably tried to balance the game by introducing a new class of Calamari Cruiser, far less powerful than the Home One-class.
They probably thought if the Mon Calamari Cruiser Independence had had the firepower to take down 2 Imperial II-class Star Destroyers without even the help of a B-Wing squadron, the game would have been too imbalanced (especially for this always tortured and bleeding Alliance :D ).
Unfortunately they forgot to name this new class. They didn't even classify the Liberty as "Liberty-class", but only "type 2 Calamari Cruiser" or simply winged Calamari Cruiser.
I don't judge tactics. The Battle is the best and only Judge.

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:03 pm

By the way, I see that Wookieepedia reports the length of the Home One 1200 meters in the new Canon universe, but the reference drives to the Legends continuity databank.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:52 pm

You know you can edit your post, use the first symbol on the right of your post
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:28 pm

Mark_Farlander wrote:By the way, I see that Wookieepedia reports the length of the Home One 1200 meters in the new Canon universe, but the reference drives to the Legends continuity databank.
Look how long it took them to fix the length of the SSD. And I don't think there's as much collective interest from the geeks in correcting the length of Home One since it's not as egregious.

Rich C
Lieutenant

Post by Rich C » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:27 pm

Mark_Farlander wrote:Home One 1200 meters
Who measured it, Chirrut Îmwe? o_O
"If you're going through hell, keep going."

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:45 am

Mark_Farlander wrote:The Totally Games probably tried to balance the game by introducing a new class of Calamari Cruiser, far less powerful than the Home One-class.
They probably thought if the Mon Calamari Cruiser Independence had had the firepower to take down 2 Imperial II-class Star Destroyers without even the help of a B-Wing squadron, the game would have been too imbalanced (especially for this always tortured and bleeding Alliance :D ).
Unfortunately they forgot to name this new class. They didn't even classify the Liberty as "Liberty-class", but only "type 2 Calamari Cruiser" or simply winged Calamari Cruiser.
I always figured "MC80" or whatever was sufficient as the class "name". Like BMWs.

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:29 am

BMW is a brand/manufacture not a class or model. That would be the equivalent to „Mon Calamari Cruiser“

I‘d think MC-80 is more of a line of ships with different models a, b, c etc.
Weirsly enough most of them greatly vary in appearance and/or size
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

baggy101
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by baggy101 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:50 pm

Not sure if it is still considered canon but originally the mc80 series mon calamari cruisers were converted cruise liners and exploration vessels that had been refit after the calamari had rebelled and liberated mon calamari and it’s shipyards from the empire. So I suppose that would explain a general class (size, armament, armour) separated by sub models (a,b,c etc). And if I recall correctly the MC90 was the first purpose built warship of calamari design. The MC80b Mon Remonda being the first calamari cruiser to be delivered after the declaration of the New Republic, therefore it was still converted from its original purpose.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:08 pm

The Databank link Wookieepedia gives is canon, not legends. So the 1,200 meters is correct.

The MC80 as far as I can tell was purpose built, not a converted ship in the new canon.

However some of the Mon Cal ships are converted from other purposes, some being City Ships/buildings and of course, cruise liners. The MC75 from Rogue One is one of them, being a city ship.

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:56 pm

General_Trageton wrote:BMW is a brand/manufacture not a class or model. That would be the equivalent to „Mon Calamari Cruiser“
I meant like BMW "i5" or "z3". They use letters and numbers instead of names.

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:58 am

It seems all the MC80 cruisers in Tie Fighter Conversion v2.0 by Waylon (I'm using it with DSUCP v2.2) are Chatnoir-class.
This is probably because in TIE Fighter there was no distinction between the different models of MC80 cruisers.
The only other model of Mon Calamari cruiser is the MC40.
Same thing for X-Wing Conversion 4.0 + XvT rebel part for X-Wing Alliance where even the Liberty is Chatnoir-class.

Rich C
Lieutenant

Post by Rich C » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:58 pm

Mark_Farlander wrote:in TIE Fighter there was no distinction between the different models of MC80 cruisers.
They had no designation at all, and were just called "Calamari", and "Light Calamari". MC80a came up in XvT/BoP, possibly as an attempt to explain the visual discrepancy with the cruisers at Endor, and MC40a was added at the same time.
Since it was pretty much only JM making MonCal ships, his MC80a is the only visually enhanced MC80a in XWA; IIRC it was also released long before his MC80 models, which is likely why it was used in those mods.
Tuskin wrote:The Databank link Wookieepedia gives is canon, not legends. So the 1,200 meters is correct.
This makes baby Ackbar cry.

If Home One is 1200m, the lambda shuttle won't fit inside the hangar; since we know that it does, it needs to be at least 2.5km for that to work.

Since the dimensions of the shuttle haven't changed, I'm just going to assume nobody cares about things making sense anymore. Good thing suspension of disbelief isn't an integral part of entertainment.~ :roll:

Forgive them, Dr. Saxton... they know not what they do.

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:30 am

The references Wookieepedia reports about the length of the Home One in the Legends continuity are completely illogical.
In the "MC80 Home One type Star Cruiser" section it's written that some individual ships are longer than 1400 meters and the reference drives to Episode VI, but in the "Home One" section the Home One is only 1300 meters long and the reference drives to The Official Star Wars Fact File. So if this is true, there must be at least 1 Home One type Star Cruiser in Episode VI longer than 1400 meters, but it cannot be the Home One itself.
Unfortunately The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia states the Home One is the largest ship in the Alliance fleet at the time of the Battle of Endor, and Wookieepedia also reports this quote.

However, what's even more absurd is that more than 3 years have passed since the new Canon continuity has been established and there are still no source books for the size of the Alliance flagship at the Battle of Endor.
What about opening a new topic on the Calamari cruiser size in the Canon universe?

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:08 am

Rich C wrote:
Mark_Farlander wrote:in TIE Fighter there was no distinction between the different models of MC80 cruisers.
They had no designation at all, and were just called "Calamari", and "Light Calamari". MC80a came up in XvT/BoP, possibly as an attempt to explain the visual discrepancy with the cruisers at Endor, and MC40a was added at the same time.
Since it was pretty much only JM making MonCal ships, his MC80a is the only visually enhanced MC80a in XWA; IIRC it was also released long before his MC80 models, which is likely why it was used in those mods.
Well, XWING95 portrayed both the Defiance and the Independence as what appear to be Lulsa-types (with a pair of engines mounted near the front, albeit on the ventral side rather than the dorsal), so JM's Chatnoir is a welcome improvement as far as I'm concerned. If I run across the Liberty, I'll try replacing it with the correct model and see how the mission plays.

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:15 pm

keiranhalcyon7 wrote: If I run across the Liberty, I'll try replacing it with the correct model and see how the mission plays.
The Liberty is in the mission where you have to destroy the Executor-class Star Dreadnought Vengeance.
However, that mission also requires a total rebalance since it's designed to be played with X-Wing vs TIE Fighter logic where if you loose a craft you have 5 more at your disposal. I'll work on this in the following weeks/months.

Rich C
Lieutenant

Post by Rich C » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:01 pm

keiranhalcyon7 wrote:Well, XWING95...
Was a pretty lazy "update" that just reused the textured XvT assets, so of course it's going to use that model. The original MC80a mesh in X-Wing/CD was quite different; there are some shots of it here.

Incidentally, the ISD mesh in X-Wing was also different (better, IMO) to the one in TIE/XvT, which was too fat and added that silly comm dish right behind the hangar opening. :o0:

The Saxman
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by The Saxman » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:25 pm

Man, been a while since I looked at Saxton's site.

I see he never acknowledged Star Destroyer was a proper noun.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:54 am

Mark_Farlander wrote:The references Wookieepedia reports about the length of the Home One in the Legends continuity are completely illogical.
In the "MC80 Home One type Star Cruiser" section it's written that some individual ships are longer than 1400 meters and the reference drives to Episode VI, but in the "Home One" section the Home One is only 1300 meters long and the reference drives to The Official Star Wars Fact File. So if this is true, there must be at least 1 Home One type Star Cruiser in Episode VI longer than 1400 meters, but it cannot be the Home One itself.
Unfortunately The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia states the Home One is the largest ship in the Alliance fleet at the time of the Battle of Endor, and Wookieepedia also reports this quote.

However, what's even more absurd is that more than 3 years have passed since the new Canon continuity has been established and there are still no source books for the size of the Alliance flagship at the Battle of Endor.
What about opening a new topic on the Calamari cruiser size in the Canon universe?
The set for the Millennium Falcon doesn't fit, nor does its layout fit the external model design.

Star Wars is not known for being consistent.

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:11 pm

Tuskin wrote:
The set for the Millennium Falcon doesn't fit, nor does its layout fit the external model design.
I think they had to mount the whole cockpit in 1:1 scale probably due to limits of technology at the time, but of course that could be avoided for the external model, which was only necessary for Docking Bay 94 and Death Star scenes.
Tuskin wrote:
Star Wars is not known for being consistent.
The point is that films often leave many things unclear, so the source books and other materials must compensate for this.
That's the case for ship sizes and technology for example. In 120 minutes you can't tell everything after all.

However, there are some battles, such as Invincible Poe Dameron vs Mandator IV-class Siege Dreadnought Fulminatrix, that without a detailed explanation on why the Fulminatrix was already without shields, are total nonsense.

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:48 pm

Tuskin wrote:Star Wars is not known for being consistent.
The original TIE fighter canopies looked different from the inside vs outside.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.