Warhead Mechanics/set speed

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Warhead Mechanics/set speed

Kath Leader
Recruit

Post by Kath Leader » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:34 am

Hello

I was wondering if anyone has/ or knows were to look for the speed of the various warheads (Proton Torps, Concussion Missiles). Iv tried testing this using a A-wing with full power to engines and firing, locking onto and matching speed with a warhead but these obviously travel faster then any craft can fly.

I dont think its fixed, but a multiple based on your craft speed. I tested the Heavy Rocket and when firing at full throttle, I cant catch up to it, however firing at full stop, and then throttling up after it, I can catch up to it and fly along side. So far I have only been able to do this with Heavy Rockets, torps, missiles and pulses all start off faster then my craft is capable of travelling.

I would like to understand the mechanics behind the speed set of these weapons. If it is was I think which is a multiple of the speed your craft is traveling, id like to know what the multiple is for each warhead type or learn how to find this information. Iv also checked the X-wing Alliance Strategy Guide and Google to no avail.

Proton Torpedoes
Concussion Missiles
Heavy Rockets
Space Bombs
Mag Pulse
Ion Pulse
Adv Torpedoes
Adv Missiles

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:44 am

If you wish to know the speed of a warhead type just install Demon's BinHexEdit. You can download it from here: http://www.darksaber.xwaupgrade.com

EDITED BY DARKSABER: DO NOT LINK TO INDIVIDUAL PAGES FROM MY WEBSITE!!

It's the first craft editor you see. Well, it's classified as a craft editor, but you can also see weapon stats and of course even edit them.
The first time you open it, you must select the project you are interested in (basically XWA with or without DSUCP) and then you will be asked to indicate the location of XWINGALLIANCE.exe.
Weapon speed should be the 5/289 section, but I don't know if the position depends on the project you have selected. Just see yourself.
Keep in mind the speed you see there is not in MGLT and you also have to add the speed of your craft. Yes, the speed of your craft is simply added to that of the weapon when you fire it.
I don't judge tactics. The Battle is the best and only Judge.

Kath Leader
Recruit

Post by Kath Leader » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:30 am

Awsome, thank you for this. Now I wonder how much it differs from the test I did last night. I just entered a skirmish with a stationary target. fired each projectile from a dead stop and again at 100 MGLT at 1 KM from the target and timed from time of launch to time of impact. Confirmed 100 MGLT was faster then from 0 MGLT. I did each test 5 times and averaged it for a baseline and then used the distance and time it takes to travel said distance to determine how many m/s it was traveling.

In case anyone was curious as to the results of these tests here are the results

Craft used for test: X-wing
Fired warheads at target from 1 KM distance from both 0 MGLT and 100 MGLT.

Warhead Type - ~Time 0 MGLT - ~Time 100 MGLT - ~Speed 0 MGLT - ~Speed 100 MGLT - Max Range (Dump Fire)
Proton Torpedo - 8.97 sec - 4.88 sec - 111 MGLT - 204 MGLT - 4.5 KM
Concussion Missile - 4.55 sec - 3.20 sec - 219 MGLT - 312 MGLT - 5.5 KM
Adv Torpedo - 7.40 sec - 3.93 sec - 135 MGLT - 254 MGLT - 6.0 KM
Adv Missile - 3.84 sec - 3.40 sec - 260 MGLT - 204 MGLT - 6.6 KM
Heavy Rocket - 21.68 sec - 6.73 sec - 46 MGLT - 148 MGLT - 4.0 KM
Space Bomb - 45.96 sec - 9.5 sec - 21 MGLT - 105 MGLT - 2.5 KM
Mag Pulse - 2.73 sec - 2.67 sec - 366 MGLT - 374 MGLT - 6.7 KM
Ion Pulse - 7.33 sec - 4.55 sec - 136 MGLT - 219 MGLT - 5.4 KM

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:21 am

Now using the values you have collected you can also estimate the conversion factor between the editor and the game.
However, speed values for advanced missiles and mag pulse torpedoes are a bit strange.

By the way, I see from the table you are also interested in weapon ranges.
There is a section in Games/General topics about weapon ranges.

Kath Leader
Recruit

Post by Kath Leader » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:50 am

I can see what you mean by the Mag Pulse and Adv Missiles, those were hard to get the on stopwatch, especially when doing the moving tests. Mag Pulses were hard to make out impacts since all they do is create a electo-magnetic looking shine on the hull and Adv Missiles do travel fast so the inconsistencies in those numbers are most likely caused by human error on my part.

I am looking forward to comparing my results with what the BinHex Editor that you point me to and see what it reveals and I also noticed a XWA converter (3rd or so down) that looks like it will convert the values given by BinHex into MGLT (going off the screen capture).

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:52 am

Kath Leader wrote: the inconsistencies in those numbers are most likely caused by human error on my part.
I'm really sorry you were not born Sullustan.
The Galaxy can sometimes be very unfair.