New visuals - HUD - explosions - hyperspace - beta

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Re: New visuals - HUD - explosions - hyperspace - beta

korekwerner
Cadet 1st Class

Post by korekwerner » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:17 pm

Thanks for supporting the channel. Inadvertently, it is gaining in popularity, and that was not my intention.
My goal is to create XWA 3.0 that we will be able to show to the new generation and that will want to play it.
Right now the tremendous amount of work done by the XWAU team is going, hopefully, in the same direction.

I set up a new channel dedicated only to X-Wing - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4R0nfcz33Q
And on top of that, I will be posting new XWA-related stuff and other things I do with X-Wing. Including corrections in my real size xwing, which at the moment will be experiencing a second youth.
I'll let you know when I make a new video for the channel.
Thank you.

Kampher
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Kampher » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:29 am

Those backdrops are outstanding. Have you released any of this Korekwerner? I've dabbled in high-resolution backdrops myself, but I never get them to blend in with the starsphere as well as you have.

korekwerner
Cadet 1st Class

Post by korekwerner » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:14 pm

@Kampher no, they are on my HD. When I make a package, I will share it with the rest of the things I do.

KW

korekwerner
Cadet 1st Class

Post by korekwerner » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:36 am

@Kampher I make the background as follows.
1. I create stars
2. I create a cloud
3. I combine the cloud with stars so that it looks nice and matches the atmosphere of Star Wars
And most importantly, I create 6 images that are part of the background including bottom and top.
Currently, I also put planets on the background, thanks to which I manage to make more depth and more interesting visuals (almost like in Star Wars Squadrons) :-).

Kampher
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Kampher » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:00 pm

Thanks Korekwerner. I've been dabbling in trying to create some higher-resolution backdrops (especially the planets), but I never seem to get a decent "blend" going. I'll give your technique a try.

korekwerner
Cadet 1st Class

Post by korekwerner » Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:55 pm

Hi, here is new A-Wing DC cockpit in action.
Any comments are welcome.

Link to the youtube video - https://youtu.be/CZSOvpq4j1Y

Kind regards
KW

ben1
Cadet 4th Class

Post by ben1 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:05 am

Hey Korekwerner,

I really like the look of your explosion FX. Would you be able to share please?

Thanks.

Ben.

korekwerner
Cadet 1st Class

Post by korekwerner » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:00 pm

ben1 wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:05 am
Hey Korekwerner,

I really like the look of your explosion FX. Would you be able to share please?

Thanks.

Ben.
Hello @Ben1
They are now in testeting phase by few people from community. After this phase they will be made available to a wider group.
YouTube videos show the possibilities and do not include file versions for publication. XWA taught me how to be precise about seemingly easy things and rushing is the last thing on my mind.

Kind regards
KW

korekwerner
Cadet 1st Class

Post by korekwerner » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:04 pm

Hi, I made a new DC version of the Tie-Interceptor cockpit. What do you think about it?
There are already voices that the earlier version of the cockpit was better, but as always you have to look at it from the outside and maybe a combination of them would be good for the final version.

link to youtube video - https://youtu.be/FXc1pZkwQro

Kind regards
KW

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:16 pm

Looks awesome! Want :)

XDragon
Cadet 1st Class

Post by XDragon » Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:52 pm

Man that looks like the Squadrons render... this is getting damn impressive....
Founder of Z3R0 (Zero Command)
https://xdragon2688.wixsite.com/z3ro/

korekwerner
Cadet 1st Class

Post by korekwerner » Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:19 am

XDragon wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:52 pm
Man that looks like the Squadrons render... this is getting damn impressive....
It's still far from Squadrons, but I'm already working on it :-)

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:06 pm

What you did still look better than what Squadrons did IMO
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

korekwerner
Cadet 1st Class

Post by korekwerner » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:38 am

Hello,
I have modified (fixed mesh bugs) the QX-1 platform and I want to show you the new textures I made for it.
What would you change?
video on youtube - https://youtu.be/FXu4KGMVx6s

Kind regards
KW

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:21 pm

Nice work on those textures. I like those landing strips.
That texture in the very center looks odd tho, kinda reminds me of a flower....
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:05 pm

Huh, so you placed holographic adds on that thing? So the platform has a .DC file too?

korekwerner
Cadet 1st Class

Post by korekwerner » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:42 pm

blue_max wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:05 pm
Huh, so you placed holographic adds on that thing? So the platform has a .DC file too?
No this is additional poligons with text.
I wanted to see what it would look like in the game.

korekwerner
Cadet 1st Class

Post by korekwerner » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:06 am

hi, not much has happened lately, but i'm still doing something. Preparing a backdrop pack is a serious challenge for me. So for now I'm doing what is easy for me.
I prepared material with different X-Wing cockpits. I hope I haven't missed anyone.

video link - https://youtu.be/70g2bKzE5R8

I will also write that the last models made by XWAU are really very detailed and nice. Unfortunately, people who do them forget that they are making them for the game, and the game has its limitations. Killing playability (framerate) with pretty models is probably not the goal of XWAU.
Thank you for making them, but please think how much time you are wasting (and I don't mean the time of the person doing it, just the player who would like to play their favorite game).

Kind regards
KW

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:28 pm

korekwerner wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:06 am
I will also write that the last models made by XWAU are really very detailed and nice. Unfortunately, people who do them forget that they are making them for the game, and the game has its limitations. Killing playability (framerate) with pretty models is probably not the goal of XWAU.
Thank you for making them, but please think how much time you are wasting (and I don't mean the time of the person doing it, just the player who would like to play their favorite game).

Kind regards
KW
Does the XWAU push the limits of the game? Sure. Yes at times things have went overboard, but when they do we do correct them as much as we can and overall I do not agree that the game cannot be played with the upgrades installed. And you are always free to provide better models that still improve the visuals while impacting the game less. Unfortunately so far I haven't seen anything actually being released at all by you, so I find it kinda harsh to claim that we are wasting peoples time.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

korekwerner
Cadet 1st Class

Post by korekwerner » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:08 pm

@Forceflow if you felt offended by my opinion, I apologize. I hope I can still post them on this forum.
I don't think we understood each other.

My goal is to inspire people more and show what possibilities are currently in this old game. New functionalities only cause the return of people who grew up on this game and today are rediscovering it, and for new ones, discovering gems in the maze of other games.

For my part, I suggest that you just write thank you for the opinion and we should finish the topic. You are the head of this server and forum, so it is worth considering what you write to ordinary users.

If you want something from me, just ask for it. So far, people who asked got what they wanted.

Kind regards
KW

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:22 pm

You are free to post your opinions, but offending the people working very hard to provide the new models for everyone to enjoy is not something that is welcome here. And note that it's not me that felt offended but others from the team have pointed out your post and felt very unhappy about it.

The team has put an insane amount of work into the XWAU and especially in the recent weeks members have invested a huge amount of their time into the project and especially the upcoming release of the new patch. Telling them that they are wasting other peoples time doing so really does not sit well.
So I do request that you consider your words more carefully in the future.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:05 pm

korekwerner wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:06 am

Kind regards
KW
For instance, since I know you're probably at least referencing the ISD2, yes there are some fair assessments on performance on lower systems especially relative to the level of noticeable detail relative to that vertex count. However, bear in mind it was intended for our purposes here at the XWAU as a detail/mesh count vs performance case study on the upper limits of what can be achieved. We are in relatively uncharted territories given how old the game is and how new the reduced limits are. And as for how much is on screen cumulatively between new models in a region, that's something that is relatively unstudied also but also affects performance. We are diligently looking to both push the limits, and achieve an acceptable balance between looks and functionality.

And yes, it behooves us to balance performance to take into account the most amount of users as possible, but we are coming to the conclusion that arbitrarily limiting ourselves is not necessarily the best option either because of a handful of users too.

So we do not forget what we were trying to do with current and future projects, but as the hooks develop and new features come out we are learning what can and can't be done and the practical limitations.

In short we do appreciate constructive criticism, however consider how that criticism is phrased because what you may have intended came across entirely different than the way that it read.

What we don't, as a content creator/modifier yourself can appreciate this position, is people arbitrarily coming in from a potentially subjective point of view that may be affected by hardware/software/install variables that may very well not affect the greater whole, and saying "It didn't work for me, and most people don't like/want/can't use/handle/whatever X detail/graphic/model/design so it's stupid and you shouldn't release it or "make" us use it".

I'm not saying that's what you're saying, but I've seen enough of these complaints in the past that I have somewhat lost my patience with them and just ignore them if I can't verify their claims on my end; we never disregard feedback.

Otherwise relative to that you're not going to get banned for stating an opinion, that would be massive abuse of privileges on our part; this is an open community and we appreciate community involvement. Which speaking of, if you believe you can do better or have something you may like to contribute to the XWAU project by all means I certainly would like to see it.

the_stag
Rebel Alliance

Post by the_stag » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:19 pm

I can't state just how appreciative I am of all the work that is continued to be done on this project. XWA is a game that I play through about every 3 years, and every time I get the latest updates because it feels like I'm playing a new game.

I wish people were more specific in the sort of issues experience in regards to performance. I last played XWA on a 10 year old Xeon E5620 with a GeForce GTX 480 and I did not experience any major issues. I installed the XWAU craftpack and then got all the latest ship updates (except the ISDII, that gave me a noticeable hit, but it looks so beautiful). Was there lag in some places? Sure, but that's expected with the system I'm running. I'm going to be getting a newer system someday, and I can't wait to get it all running at the highest levels.

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:09 am

This old game keeps evolving and it's great.
Last edited by Bman on Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

korekwerner
Cadet 1st Class

Post by korekwerner » Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:48 pm

I am preparing a new hangar. It goes slowly, but there are already some views.