New visuals - HUD - explosions - hyperspace - beta

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Re: New visuals - HUD - explosions - hyperspace - beta

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Sat May 16, 2020 5:00 pm

I love those backgrounds. Out of this world.

Darksaber
Vice Admiral

Post by Darksaber » Sat May 16, 2020 5:49 pm

korekwerner wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 4:30 pm
The question was how I made new sensors, the answer was simple because the effect is to transform a smaller object into a larger one and to zoom in and out of the player. In the first case, you should reset the values in rotation (no, you do not need to modify the other scales and transformations) and the key for zooming in and out is pivot, which is independent of the center. Pivot does not have the same coordinates as the mesh center. I did not invent anything new, just used the available solution that you knew about. Anyway, thank you very much.
I think there maybe a slight communication problem here!

But if not, I'm not arguing with you, you know best and whatever your saying is completely correct! ok! I don't know what I was thinking, I really haven't a clue when it comes to opts or opt making :?
“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”.”
- John Lydgate

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait....
Darksaber's X-Wing Station

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Sun May 17, 2020 4:50 pm

Can I suggest for the targeting computer to increase its "sensitivity" by using a smaller portion of the front sensor.
TargetComputerAdjust.png
At present you have a duplicate front sensor showing the same area (TOP)

If you only use a central portion, the sensitivity of the targeting computer will be increased when the target is in front of you (Bottom)

Trev
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Mon May 18, 2020 3:48 am

In the video, is the facility in that KDY backdrop meant to be an artificial ring around the planet Kuat, with docked star destroyers? If so, the star destroyers are grossly oversized. They really shouldn't even be visible at all at that scale. (In general, I don't like star destroyers in backdrops, because they're really not big enough to be believable as backdrop objects; an in-engine ISD placed far enough away so that it appears the same size as the backdrop would still be within reasonable flying distance.)

korekwerner
Cadet 1st Class

Post by korekwerner » Mon May 18, 2020 8:35 am

Thank you @Trevor, yes, I tested it and came to the same conclusion. However, before I make this change, I also need to change the size of the cross on the radar (it must be much smaller). In the first tests it was simply too small. Here is an example of why size matters.

@keiranhalcyon7 for the same I was scolded by a friend :-). That's why I also made versions with and without smaller destroyers. Although my opinion is that for the needs of the game it looks much better with larger destroyers. Thank you.

Regards
KW

korekwerner
Cadet 1st Class

Post by korekwerner » Thu May 21, 2020 9:57 am

I have prepared several backgrounds and I am currently testing them in 16 and 32 bit modes.
video link - https://youtu.be/G_hcnl_YcxQ

Regards
KW

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Thu May 21, 2020 11:07 am

Wow, those look really stunning! On thing I am not sure though. Don't know how it works, but in some scenes you place a planet into the background yet you place it in front of the asteroids. In my opinion that really doesn't make sense since the planet should be much farther away than the asteroids. Now this might be a limitation of how this is done, but I think it would look much more realistic if the planets would be in the background.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

korekwerner
Cadet 1st Class

Post by korekwerner » Thu May 21, 2020 12:35 pm

@Forceflow The video presents examples of new planets and they are not connected to the background. The background and planets are two independent elements.

KW

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Thu May 21, 2020 12:44 pm

Ah okay, that makes sense then
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Thu May 21, 2020 1:06 pm

Odd presentation of art...
Id rather you made a stills gallery. (I know I can pause the video, but theres a lot going on...)
Id like to see comparisons of 16v32 bit showing the atmosphere (where 16bit fades to a black circle, while 32bit should have stars showing through) (I assume the 16bit versions are for "hookless" installs - eg, XWA on 98?)

Trev

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Fri May 22, 2020 3:13 am

Outstanding backgrounds!
I don't judge tactics. The Battle is the best and only Judge.

Avarice1987
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Avarice1987 » Fri May 22, 2020 1:20 pm

Im happy to see this in the Future an the nrew Explosions

marcop000
Cadet 1st Class

Post by marcop000 » Fri May 22, 2020 1:34 pm

seem a AAA game ....

this is a huge step up.

korekwerner
Cadet 1st Class

Post by korekwerner » Thu May 28, 2020 6:21 pm

Thank you for opinions.
Here is update with new Y-Wing DC cockpit, backdrops and effects. Full mission with 4 unique backdrops. Still work in progress.
link to video - https://youtu.be/ESZ1qCHN1j4

Regards
KW

korekwerner
Cadet 1st Class

Post by korekwerner » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:35 pm

Another update. This time the X-Wing cockpit, backgrounds, planets and SFX.

Link - https://youtu.be/Ua99cdbt_aY

Regards
KW.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:47 pm

Some nice touches there. Good work.
What is your ultimate goal? To release new missions or new cockpits, planets?
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

korekwerner
Cadet 1st Class

Post by korekwerner » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:57 am

My main goal is to use tools to the extent that I can use them and play the refreshed version of XWA. Today we have the opportunity to refresh this old game at a level we could only dream of. I am currently doing DC A-Wing and B-Wing cockpit. The next will be YT-1300.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:24 am

korekwerner wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:57 am
My main goal is to use tools to the extent that I can use them and play the refreshed version of XWA. Today we have the opportunity to refresh this old game at a level we could only dream of. I am currently doing DC A-Wing and B-Wing cockpit. The next will be YT-1300.
That's cool but do you plan to share them with others so that we can all enjoy it?
I would be happy to host things on my website as soon as I get it up and running in the near future.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

korekwerner
Cadet 1st Class

Post by korekwerner » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:40 pm

Everything I do is for people. However, tests are required before publication, and as you know, this can take a long time.

KW

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:25 pm

Better watch that time dilation...

Although, Black holes don't look like that. interstellar changed the way black holes are drawn (and they look awsome - way better than the "Sink Hole" image)

Trev

korekwerner
Cadet 1st Class

Post by korekwerner » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:00 pm

You're 100% right.
Trevor wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:25 pm
Better watch that time dilation...

Although, Black holes don't look like that. interstellar changed the way black holes are drawn (and they look awsome - way better than the "Sink Hole" image)

Trev

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:18 pm

korekwerner wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 6:21 pm
Thank you for opinions.
Here is update with new Y-Wing DC cockpit, backdrops and effects. Full mission with 4 unique backdrops. Still work in progress.
link to video - https://youtu.be/ESZ1qCHN1j4

Regards
KW
Hmm... I don't like this y-wing 'pit as much as I did the x-wing.
  • I consider the cannon charge & warhead count indicator placement along the top to be part of the character of the y-wing.
  • The right MFD is too low. I don't object to a bit of asymmetry in principle, but it's out of frame where it is. (And it looks like you've panned the view downwards a bit for this screenshot, which means the problem is worse in reality than in the picture.)
  • I don't like the vertical aspect ratios of the central screens. I come down on the side of usability rather than movie accuracy on issues like these, and a tall screen isn't very usable for these purposes. It looks like there may be enough room to move the target stat displays (not visible in the image; I had to check the video) to locations above the screens so that the screens could be made about twice as wide each, but it's hard to tell because it's all so dark.

Phoenix Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Phoenix Leader » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:18 am

korekwerner wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 12:35 pm
@Forceflow The video presents examples of new planets and they are not connected to the background. The background and planets are two independent elements.

KW
For "background" do you intend the "modified" starfield backdrops?
Or did you find another way to implement those backgrounds?

korekwerner
Cadet 1st Class

Post by korekwerner » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:44 am

What I do will be for the needs of the improved selected missions, so as to remain consistent with the world of Star Wars.
Missions will have changed backgrounds and planets. I think that I can, with the help of other people, bring missions in XWA to the level they deserve since 1999 :). I just need time.

regards
KW

korekwerner
Cadet 1st Class

Post by korekwerner » Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:39 pm

Continuation of work.
This time something completely new, i.e. the test version of the Millennium Falcon cockpit and Deat Star 2.
I look forward to your comments. Thank you.
link to the youtube video with DS2 and Falcon DC - https://youtu.be/9S3f1TJpJg0

Regards
KW