New visuals - HUD - explosions - hyperspace - beta

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Re: New visuals - HUD - explosions - hyperspace - beta

korekwerner
Cadet 1st Class

Post by korekwerner » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:12 am

@ual002 @rogue518 I did something for you that I have not intended to. Cockpit proposition for the TIE fighter. Yes, I know, it's like in THE movies and battlefront (windshield is incorrectly turned). Do not hang me for this approach to the TIE fighter please :-).
link to youtube video - https://youtu.be/CvAqtIOOnAw

@blue_max I added a reference in the CorellianTransport2Cockpit.dc file to the texture in CorellianTransportGunner.opt and it works. Thank you for DC :-).
@Mark_Farlander I will fix it :-). I will return to the previous version of the backdrops. Thank you.
@Avarice1987 this is my author's version of the death star shot and is not yet publicly available.
Thank you for your comments and suggestions.

Regards
KW

Alpha_0-0-0
Galactic Empire

Post by Alpha_0-0-0 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:11 am

Hello
Really like the instruments, but I don't like the orientation of the window, it's just wrong, sorry
thank you

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:49 am

While that is true from a logical Point of View, the "wrong" view dates back to the interior shots in ANH.
Whether those were created unintended(Interior designers got it wrong or didn't get to see the final exterior model) or intentionally to keep the center line clear of visual obstructions, I don't know.
However most if not all of today's official souces, including games like Battlefront 2 and SW Squadrons, stick with it, intentionally I would say. Plus I think it fits nicely into the overall design language.
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

korekwerner
Cadet 1st Class

Post by korekwerner » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:20 pm

@Alpha_0-0-0 I suggest you write to Lucasfilm and they should change it in the next version of Star Wars. Even in Rogue One there is the same cockpit in TIE as in New Hope. I agree that there is inaccuracy, but it is not a mistake as long as we use and reproduce what is in the movies.
New Hope.

Rogue One.
Thank you.

Regards
KW

Alpha_0-0-0
Galactic Empire

Post by Alpha_0-0-0 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:44 pm

Hello
@korekwerner, I don't think there is any need to be so sarcastic towards me, I do not appreciate it, everyone is entitle to there own opinion, I only said it looked wrong, and I didn't like it.

Did I ask you to change it, have I said it looks rubbish, NO.

It's no wonder you don't see so many people of these forums with the attitude of some of the members, my dad warned me about this forum, now I understand what he meant!

I'll just point out that the orientation of the window frame doesn't make any sense, every exterior view of any tie fighter in the films or otherwise the window frame is ALWAYS the other way around!

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:14 pm

Yikes. Alpha. You're at an 11. Bring it down to like a 7.

KW, That looks pretty awesome.

Ok, a little to unpack here. Yes the windscreen is turned goofy as you mentioned. Again, I'm not expert on TIEs, but I am going to have constructive criticisms more in this field than others.

Remember these are just my 10 cent opinions.

1. Too much color. In the case of TIEs, I'm not a fan, but these color schemes in say a toscan fighter, or an R-41, in my head, make more sense.

2. I'll have to watch your vid a little later, but I do prefer the positioning of the displays on the TIEs with dynamic cockpits we already have in the download section. Maybe I already got used to them but for some reason the layout seems as functional as possible while still trying for a screen accuracy feel. In the case of your example here, it seems like a more modern ergonomic redesign for upgrading a 4th generation jet fighter to a 5th gen. I didn't really pay attention to the sequel trilogy, but I think maybe the First Order TIEs or even an Experimental TIE like the TIE Phantom would possibly use a newer design aesthetic like this.

3. I do like your integration of all in flight system messages, both dialogue, craft status and ship arrival announcements into the dash. Its far more immersive in that regard than the existing TIE cockpits we have.

4. Are the fields in the dash that are not "Dynamic" just flat textures? Anywhere there is a readout for "Hull" or "Warhead Count" I wonder if these elements could somehow, if not already, be controlled by the font hook thing. Lets say I decide to go full immersion and switch my font to Aurebesh, will the parts of the dash with title information also change font?

I do however want to see what additional features you have baked into the cockpit dashboard I might not be realizing and compare them with the existing TIEs. You seem to have much more integrated in your pits. I think your approach is good for an information rich cockpit that has a very competitive, real-worldish feel. Especially for new players who could feel overwhelmed.
Whereas the ones already released have a more minimalist, "you've been playing this game for 20 years", "This is obviously my warhead count" or "This is obviously my number of countermeasures" feel.

If I had your skill, I would go nuts with the classic starfighters that haven't got much or any screen time and thus have never had a screen shown cockpit. In that regard you would have almost complete creative freedom. That's where I excel personally. And with these general use fighters more widely used by the citizens of the empire/galaxy, I would imagine they have a more user friendly feel like the cockpits you tend to design.
T-wing
R-41
Toscan
Muurian Transport
Pursuer Enforcer
Firespray
Starviper (although this might have been for DS pack I think.)

Nonetheless, many of the extra fighters in his pack could use a good dynamic cockpit. I'm not giving up on my old DSUCP install. Save for a missing U-wing and like 2 other ships or so, the shipset for DSUCP is ideal for me. In fact,the Uwing is another one I bet DTM wouldn't mind you working on.
Last edited by ual002 on Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Image Image Image Image Image

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:20 pm

I do prefer how it’s seen from the inside in the movies, as you gives you better vision in the top centre, you don’t have that frame piece in your way.

It also just ... feels right.

Maybe you could make an optional version where it’s orientated like the outside window as an optional for those who prefer it? I have no idea how much work that would be.

I honestly wouldn’t mind the option for the movie interior cockpit on the XWAUP TIE either. Again, no idea how much work that would take, so feel free to tell me lol

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:31 pm

Alpha_0-0-0 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:44 pm
Hello
@korekwerner, I don't think there is any need to be so sarcastic towards me, I do not appreciate it, everyone is entitle to there own opinion, I only said it looked wrong, and I didn't like it.

Did I ask you to change it, have I said it looks rubbish, NO.

It's no wonder you don't see so many people of these forums with the attitude of some of the members, my dad warned me about this forum, now I understand what he meant!

I'll just point out that the orientation of the window frame doesn't make any sense, every exterior view of any tie fighter in the films or otherwise the window frame is ALWAYS the other way around!
Okay, let's calm down. I don't read korekwerners reply as mean spirited at all. Sure there was a sarcastic point there, but nothing bad. And while your wrote you don't like it you also wrote 'it's just wrong' which unfortunately is highly debatable since there is canon evidence that it's right. It's just another case of no one in charge of Star Wars these days cares much about canon anymore.

Besides you know if you don't like it there's always the option of learning the craft and creating your own version.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

Will T
Galactic Empire

Post by Will T » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:31 pm

I had absolutely no idea that the inside TIE cockpit didn't match the outside. I haven't noticed that once in 30 years.

That's so weird. And after all the effort they went to to make sure that every pilot had an astro behind them in the cockpit set that matched what was on the filming model for the X-Wings.

I guess the interal orientation does provide better visibility.

Not 100% sold on that TIE cockpit layout though, tbh. I kinda like what DTM's been able to do with the CMD on the targeting computer in the yoke, and doing cool things like embedding the cannon charge indicators on frames, or on the viewport struts.

Also, why is there only one cannon charge indicator? Shouldn't there be one for each cannon? Or is that two bars on top of each other and sort of merged?

It's still a cool take, and I do like how clean it all is.

I feel like it needs some of those red LEDs around the edges, though. It's an important part of the TIE vibe.
Alpha_0-0-0 wrote:
I only said it looked wrong
Well I think that's the problem. It's fine to not like something, but it isn't 'wrong'.

All Korek did is show you proof that he based it off the films. I don't think he was being sarcastic. He's kinda right. If you don't like it, tell it to the people who made it in the first place.
Alpha_0-0-0 wrote:
I think you're being a little over sensitive.

Don't forget that not everyone is talking in their first language here, and it's by text where tone is hard to convey even in your first language.
Alpha_0-0-0 wrote:
every exterior view of any tie fighter in the films or otherwise the window frame is ALWAYS the other way around!
And in every interior shot, it's ALWAYS the way korek did it. So which wins out? Which one's 'correct'? What takes precedence between an FX model and a filming model? They're both sources of equal weight, both show up in the film.
Last edited by Will T on Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as The 95 Headhunter

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:38 pm

As far as the cockpit glass orientation, I will vote for the legacy of the X-wing series all day long. This is an example of where I say, ignore the films, they don't know this stuff like we do. :D But that's just personal preference.

As a command TIE pilot, I have instructed all of my crew chiefs to remove the front glass and rotate/remount them about 7.5 degrees from the factory installation position. ;)
Last edited by ual002 on Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alpha_0-0-0
Galactic Empire

Post by Alpha_0-0-0 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:51 pm

Why am I being made out to be the bad guy here? All I said was I didn't like it and I thought it looked wrong, weather he was being sarcastic or not, I don't deserve to be spoken too like I'm some sort of idiot.

And I suggest everyone watches the Star Wars Squadron Trailer again, as it's ONLY the TIE FIGHTER that has the window in that orientation, Exterior and Interior, the TIE INTERCEPTOR and TIE BOMBER in the trailer has the window frame orientated at 90 degrees both interior and exterior.

So if you want to be cannon with the cockpit, this would be your latest source.
thank you

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:01 pm

Woah, ease down kid. There's a big difference between being a "bad guy" as you call it and simply "overreacting". None of the above posts painted you as a bad guy, I think you're projecting a lot here. Chill out, take a step back and breathe deeply!

As far as I can tell this has only been about the TIE Fighter, so far, the Intercepter and Bomber haven't been showcased yet. I'm sure korekwerner will take these factors into account though.
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

Avarice1987
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Avarice1987 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:19 pm

I am already curious about the video afterwards, so far he is doing a good job. Also the explosion effects that were started by a German user 1-2 years ago, who unfortunately never showed up in the forum again, he has continued modding well.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:38 pm

korekwerner wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:12 am
@blue_max I added a reference in the CorellianTransport2Cockpit.dc file to the texture in CorellianTransportGunner.opt and it works. Thank you for DC :-).
Huh... Clever! Good job on the TIE cockpit. The video isn't live yet, but looks promising!

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:18 pm

yeah, why did we have to wait to see the vid, it wasn't exactly "Live"
Anyway, I was hoping for a view round the cockpit rather than just straight forward. :)

Trev

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:18 pm

Carrying over my youtube comment for the sake of visibility. Some of you may not realize this for when you do your nerdy SW stuff.

"Only immediate feedback would be I noticed the aurebesh text bottom center either side the circular display is reversed.

The reason is likely that you used all caps, and all caps reverses/mirrors the letters. Its stupid, but generally when using aurebesh I just don't capitalize anything. Its a font issue, not a texture issue."

korekwerner
Cadet 1st Class

Post by korekwerner » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:55 pm

@ual002 no one notice this :-) but thank you for feedback.
@Trevor cockpit is very simple inside.

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:02 pm

I know I know. I'm OCD detail oriented on like the dumbest shit.

DTM

Post by DTM » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:22 pm

Graet job! I like it! :applaus:

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:47 pm

I think it's pretty cool. Will always be attached to old skool XWA in many ways but I like this modern look.
It seems similar in some ways to the new Squadrons one coming up. Nice work
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:00 pm

Awesome work with the "Tie Fighter skirmish - DC test"!

Today I forgot to write one relevant thing about the new backdrops: Harlequin Station's region (Region 2) is much more immersive and enjoyable in the new version.
Moreover I think the new backdrops in Region 2 are more suitable to Harlequin Station for 2 reasons:
1) Both Azzameen Station and Harlequin Station are in Garis Sector, but Azzameen Station is closer to Syned, whereas Harlequin Station is closer to Omwat
2) Harlequin Station is a trade center, so it's OK if it is orbiting a planet (in the vanilla XWA it was in deep space)

I think the best thing would be to keep your previous version of the backdrops in Region 1 (Azzameen Station's region) and the new version in Region 2 (Harlequin Station's region).

This would imply we have to edit the mission but this is not a problem.
I don't judge tactics. The Battle is the best and only Judge.

BenKenobi
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by BenKenobi » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:23 pm

Looks awesome, I'm already imagining this with the CMD wireframe display mode...
https://xwaupgrade.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12728
:D

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:07 pm

Sweet!!!.... korekwerner :2thumbs:

Sincerely, Rogue518
'Stay in Attack formation!' Darth Vader aka: Anakin Skywalker During the 'Battle Of Yavin'

Q
Ensign

Post by Q » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:12 am

Just my opinion, I like the new visuals, they really look more in line with the “Star Wars” visual aesthetics! That being said I personally prefer the cockpit interior to match the exterior. This isn’t accurate to the films but it is accurate with Lucasarts TIE Fighter series and all the X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter games. Perhaps an option to choose whichever version you prefer in the installer package would be best. I know we have other craft that feature multiple custom install options to fit your personal preferences so why not this as well?
"I like work; it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours."

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:43 am

You can't please everyone. For my part I think the orthogonal octagon looks better than the orthogonal radials, and if I were George Lucas in the 90s, I'd have altered the exterior shots to match the interiors. (Think about what it would have done to the price of the original, vintage toys!)