New visuals - HUD - explosions - hyperspace - beta

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Re: New visuals - HUD - explosions - hyperspace - beta

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:20 am

korekwerner wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:12 am
@ual002 @rogue518 I did something for you that I have not intended to. Cockpit proposition for the TIE fighter. Yes, I know, it's like in THE movies and battlefront (windshield is incorrectly turned). Do not hang me for this approach to the TIE fighter please :-).
link to youtube video - https://youtu.be/CvAqtIOOnAw

@blue_max I added a reference in the CorellianTransport2Cockpit.dc file to the texture in CorellianTransportGunner.opt and it works. Thank you for DC :-).
@Mark_Farlander I will fix it :-). I will return to the previous version of the backdrops. Thank you.
@Avarice1987 this is my author's version of the death star shot and is not yet publicly available.
Thank you for your comments and suggestions.

Regards
KW
Very nice, very Star Wars, can't really fault it as a representation of a TIE Cockpit in terms of looks, so I'm going to talk about it from the perspective of a pilot.

Firstly, whilst you are correct the movies depict the cockpit from rotated 1/8 or 22.5 degrees the X-Wing games have always had the orientation match the exterior model, even when the games themselves didn't have exterior models that complex. Whilst I appreciate the argument for movie accuracy I would make the following counters.

1. Once you see it you can't "unsee" it, and that's a constant distraction.
2. Whilst it might give better visibility from a filmmaking perspective it's overall worse for the pilot because the pilot primarily looks out of that centre view-port and not the outer parts with the struts on. That flat bar at the top sits almost directly on top of the iron-sight, you lose that valuable bit of extra view you need to get a good deflection shot at close range in a dive.
3. Whilst you can get away with this rotation in the TIE Fighter things get much more awkward when you get to the TIE Advanced and have to redesign the entire frame of that oval shapped view-port.

So, I'd encourage you to make that 22.5 degree rotation, otherwise you'll turn a lot of people off this cockpit.

Now, in general I think this is your best cockpit so far, it gathers all of the information about a target in one place around the 3D sensor view, restoring the coherence of the CMD. I have a couple of suggestions, though. I really love what you're doing, but I think you've lost too much of the general coherence in the targeting system, with the fore and aft sensors, CMD that contains all the info about the target, and the gun-sight itself.

1. Either switch the component and cargo readouts with the missile/countermeasure readouts or (preferably, in my opinion) remove that bar and shift the CMD up slightly, then place those readouts at the bottom. TIE's don't have missiles or countermeasures as standard and those readouts don't need to be in the centre of the screen like they are. Further, grouping targeted component and cargo with the other readouts on the target further improves the cohesion of the screen. On the other hand, having the missile and countermeasure readouts tacked on to the bottom of the dash feels very realistic for a TIE Fighter.

2. Straighten out the fore and aft sensors - whilst the design itself is great, and easy to read, having them at a weird angle makes them harder to understand. It's much better for the pilot it straight up is straight up and straight down is straight down. Basic ergonomics needs to come first here.

3. Whilst I appreciate the addition of the targeting computer, especially here in the TIE, the big yellow cross on the forward sensor is a problem for me. It obscures a lot of what else is on the screen and I need to see that - I especially need to see if another enemy craft is passing directly in front of me so I can get it under my sights and lock onto it. Rather than having that yellow cross I'd suggest taking the original square bracket and rotating it 45 degrees to make a diamond. Then, instead of blowing up diamond zoom in of the who front sensor until the Diamond and everything else are big enough for the targeting computer. The targeting computer then becomes much more useful - not only will it be more accurate at demonstrating the correct lead but it will be a zoomed in version of the front sensor - giving you a detailed view of what targets are directly in front of you. Having spent all evening flying a TIE against other TIES in the vanilla cockpit I'm really struck by just how big that yellow cross is, and how "fat" it looks compared to a dot with a bracket around it.

Overall, though, I prefer the design language of this cockpit over what the XWAU has right now - it feels more utilitarian and "real Star Wars". XWAU cockpits are all covered in switches with Aurabesh (or just English) on and that's not something you actually see on the front dash of Star Wars ships. Like WWII fighters they mostly have dials and readouts on the front dash with controls on the main control column or at the sides of the cockpit.

I like the idea of a single laser indicator but maybe you can set it up so that it's graduated in such a way that every shot from both canons is accounted for. I also wonder if you can do what you did with the targeting computer and copy in the laser pips on the gun-sight to the left and right of the charge indicator to indicate which gun is active. Is the idea to make a minimally tweaked version of this for the TIE Interceptor? That would make "real world" sense if they were essentially the same inside the cockpit.

Speaking of the gun-sight you're using - I really like it but I'd still want a central "dot" to line up my shots when I'm not using the targeting computer, for strafing cap ships or especially for shooting mines.

I have thoughts on your other cockpits too, especially now I'm flying again, but I'll leave that for a separate post.
1st Lt Sigurd "BattleDog" Stormhand, Assigned Corsair Squadron, Renegade Wing, CRS Vigilant.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:58 am

BattleDog wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:20 am
Then, instead of blowing up diamond zoom in of the who front sensor until the Diamond and everything else are big enough for the targeting computer. The targeting computer then becomes much more useful - not only will it be more accurate at demonstrating the correct lead but it will be a zoomed in version of the front sensor - giving you a detailed view of what targets are directly in front of you.
I already made such a suggestion before, but I guess KW doesn't agree. :P

Trev

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:07 pm

Trevor wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:58 am
BattleDog wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:20 am
Then, instead of blowing up diamond zoom in of the who front sensor until the Diamond and everything else are big enough for the targeting computer. The targeting computer then becomes much more useful - not only will it be more accurate at demonstrating the correct lead but it will be a zoomed in version of the front sensor - giving you a detailed view of what targets are directly in front of you.
I already made such a suggestion before, but I guess KW doesn't agree. :P

Trev
Actually, it looks like KW agrees with you (us). I was simply taking it a step farther and pointing out how you can do away with the big yellow cross in favour of a diamond-shaped bracket the same scale as the original, then just zoom in the view. The Yellow cross is a hangover from X-Wing which is what KW was originally emulating. It's become rather clumsy though and seriously interferes with the operation of the front sensor.

Realistically, that "gun-sight" is useful in only 25% of fighter on fighter engagements when the range is over something like 0.75Km, inside that you'll use the "iron sight" and the standard lock indicator. Engaging anything slower and larger than a fighter it has not practical use, you just don't need it. There is a practical use for a zoomed-in front sensor in other circumstances, though.
1st Lt Sigurd "BattleDog" Stormhand, Assigned Corsair Squadron, Renegade Wing, CRS Vigilant.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

korekwerner
Cadet 1st Class

Post by korekwerner » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:37 pm

Today I am introducing more modifications. A turret and another backdrops. The planet which is in the attached pictures was made by DTM.
Link to youtube - https://youtu.be/OCoUmAeOCvE

@BattleDog you are right, I have prepared suggestions for changes and, as I can see, the slightly modified original solution looks good in both X-Wing and Tie-Fighter.
@Trevor I take your suggestions into consideration as much as possible. I'm not very expressive, but I respect your opinion and I often agree with you.

Regards
KW

bunik
Recruit

Post by bunik » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:18 pm

one more time - it looks very nice!
the first sentence is to change the target monitor crosshair to something like this -

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:37 pm

That turret look is fantastic!
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:41 pm

Having a Dynamic Cockpit Turret puts the fun back into using them. Nice work
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

korekwerner
Cadet 1st Class

Post by korekwerner » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:11 pm

@bunik Thank you, I will make such a version.
@General_Trageton, @Ace Antilles thank you.

Regards
KW

whisky.actual
Recruit

Post by whisky.actual » Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:14 pm

Wow,

These cockpits are pilot friendly and very beautiful. Keep up the good work!

Whisky

Mark_Farlander
Rebel Alliance

Post by Mark_Farlander » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:41 pm

I like that turret so much!
I don't judge tactics. The Battle is the best and only Judge.

korekwerner
Cadet 1st Class

Post by korekwerner » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:05 pm

Today the new Tie Interceptor cockpit.
youtube video link - https://youtu.be/DhLFex2eQS0

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:05 pm

Do like!
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:24 pm

Nice cockpit!

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:37 pm

Looks great!
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

Ronin65
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Ronin65 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:52 pm

The T/I cockpit looks absolutely brilliant

Just one question, No one seems to have noticed yet, but is your cockpit further forward than the original XWAU cockpit, I only ask as the lasers seem to be firing from behind the guns and not from them, like with the original cockpits?

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:03 pm

Oh Hell Yeah!!! :2thumbs:

Sincerely, Rogue518
'Stay in Attack formation!' Darth Vader aka: Anakin Skywalker During the 'Battle Of Yavin'

capitanguinea
Galactic Empire

Post by capitanguinea » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:46 pm

I was surprised finding that some unit in the empire starfighter corp used sofisticated piloting helmets such us those used in real life by f22 and f35 pilots. That tech project the image direclty on the visor so they are never impeded by cockpit visual limitations and are feeded with outer cams seeing all around alike the Mandalorian armour helm is able to do... so this is the true reason tie line sometime has very strange cockpits

Q
Ensign

Post by Q » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:05 pm

capitanguinea wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:46 pm
I was surprised finding that some unit in the empire starfighter corp used sofisticated piloting helmets such us those used in real life by f22 and f35 pilots. That tech project the image direclty on the visor so they are never impeded by cockpit visual limitations and are feeded with outer cams seeing all around alike the Mandalorian armour helm is able to do... so this is the true reason tie line sometime has very strange cockpits
This concept is also used to explain the odd looking HWK-290 "Moldy Crow" cockpit and why Jan Ors needed to wear her "Holo Display Goggles" when flying the ship:
"I like work; it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours."

MetalHut
Recruit

Post by MetalHut » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:51 pm

Does those awesome dynamic cockpit are available for download ?
They are awesome and user friendly for VR.

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:25 pm

MetalHut wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:51 pm
The DC-enabled cockpits can be downloaded in the Downloads link. Currently, only the main Rebel and Imperial ships have been updated, but we're working on updating more cockpits too. Yes, this whole project started because DC cockpits are more VR-friendly ;)

MetalHut
Recruit

Post by MetalHut » Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:54 am

blue_max wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:25 pm
MetalHut wrote:
The DC-enabled cockpits can be downloaded in the Downloads link. Currently, only the main Rebel and Imperial ships have been updated, but we're working on updating more cockpits too. Yes, this whole project started because DC cockpits are more VR-friendly ;)
That strange, I don't have the same layout for the X-Wing. Is there any order for installation betweend Rebels Dynamic Cockpit and EffectsByBlueMax ?
The last installation, I made was EffectByBlueMax.

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:36 am

MetalHut wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:54 am
blue_max wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:25 pm
MetalHut wrote:
That strange, I don't have the same layout for the X-Wing. Is there any order for installation betweend Rebels Dynamic Cockpit and EffectsByBlueMax ?
The last installation, I made was EffectByBlueMax.
I think there was a misunderstanding from blue_max. I am assuming you are talking about korekwerner's cockpits. Those are not available for download as far as I know. The XWAU has it's own set of dynamic cockpits that are indeed different. If you are interested in korekwerner's cockpits you'll have to ask him if he is willing to share them.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:04 pm

Yeah, sorry. My bad. I thought you were referring to our DC cockpits. Korekwerner still hasn't released his cockpits to the public.

Talaris
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Talaris » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:41 pm

You can view his progress and support him over at his YouTube channel, https://www.youtube.com/user/SWArtisticTeam . His aim is to hopefully release before October 2nd when Squadrons releases. I'm also hoping that they can be brought over into the XWAU project, if both parties wish it.

MetalHut
Recruit

Post by MetalHut » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:08 pm

Ah, sorry for the misunderstanding too. :) I already follow his channel.