If old models are updated again?

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

If old models are updated again?

Avarice1987
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Avarice1987 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:22 pm

Hello folks, I'd like to know if old ship models will be updated again? some years ago the Eclipse 1&2 and the Intrdictor star destroyer ( Dominator ) were still part of the DSUCP... why were they taken out? Simply too old?

My 2nd question deals with 2 Imperial battle cruisers, the Praetor and the Bellator.

Here the question would also be asked if it would be possible to update at least the Praetor 2 optically or if it would be too difficult. And what else would interest me: Are you still working on new ship models at all? Here would be my question about the Bellator, as a basis the Fanon Dominance or Warhammer Schwerer Kreuzer would almost work on. I myself work on Awakening of the Rebellion and have been asked several times from the Empire at War community, why not take 1-2 ships. The desire for a Bellator or an Allegiance is already very big here.

I don't know myself what I would need to create a ship

Here are some screens of our beauties from Awakening of the Rebellion

Dreadnought Cruiser

https://s18.directupload.net/images/190710/pbtyj5z8.png

Dreadnouht Cruiser MK 2 ( You can build it after you reach Tech Level 4 ( must Build DS 2 for it )

https://s18.directupload.net/images/190710/lb2un33s.png

Bellator Battlecruiser

https://s18.directupload.net/images/190710/3olzy4oj.png

And the Best to the Last:

4 Dreadnoughts MK 2, 3 Star Destroyers ( Mix of tector and ISD 2 ) and the Flaggship, Allegiance

https://s18.directupload.net/images/190710/kuk36j2c.png

DTM
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by DTM » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:09 pm

Personally, I'm working on other ships, but I don't rule out the possibility, in a day, of dedicating myself to some kind of Star Destroyer, perhaps the Dominator ... but it will still take a long time!

There is something in the images posted, that really interests me: not the ships, but the low-orbit scenarios.
What game is it? Is it possible to have some good image of the scenario, without the ships framed? A good image with the view towards the horizon would be very useful for XWA.

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:57 pm

DTM, have you considered using the wrapback.dat images for your low orbit scenarios? Instead of 4 seams you could have just 1 seam and central lower bit... maybe even a true horizon if we can somehow fix the banding from the 16 bit images.

I figured out how to make that seam match perfectly all the way around with a feature in photoshop.

EDIT: i just realized 1 continuous image will severely decrease resolution without loading a bigger resolution png into the dat file. But if we do figure that out we could have asymmetric planet scapes and even low orbit station rings like KDY at off kilter angles.
Image Image Image Image Image

DTM
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by DTM » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:36 pm

@ual002: I prefer to use the planet.dat file, because it is more versatile and I can better control the proportions. For me the quality of the scenery is limited only by the quality of the original images. For this reason I look for new images of a low-orbit scenario ... then it's just a matter of Photoshop …
With high resolution images it is possible to think of a scenario consisting of more than four images, even using only the planet.dat file.

Sorry. I didn't want to hijack this topic ... if someone has some nice images to share for the scenarios, we can use the topic dedicated to the Super Backdrop Patch in the XWAUP forum...thanks!

Let's go back to the Avarice1987 question: is anyone interested in developing these spaceships for XWAUP? Maybe. But it is important to understand, that every spaceship requires many many hours of work...weeks of work... and there are so many stars in the sky ... once there were dozens of OPT authors in business. Instead, today the authors can be counted on the fingers of one hand ... I always encourage everyone to learn how to make an OPT. It can give you a lot of satisfaction!

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:53 pm

@Avarice1987

Yes, what DTM said. I'll also add a little motivational encouragement.

I would recommend you download the tools, poke around, give yourself small goals and try to accomplish them. I started by reworking and modifying textures to get an understanding of the tools and file types. It ends up getting me familiar with other features within those tools. Then I experiment with minor model changes. Ideally the ultimate goal for me is to build a base skillset to start an OPT from scratch. Maybe a small fighter or small ship with simple shapes.

You can do it. I promise. The question is, how bad do you want it.
Image Image Image Image Image