Endor Missions as Wedge uploaded on my site

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Endor Missions as Wedge uploaded on my site

Red_Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Red_Leader » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:42 pm

I have uploaded 4 Endor missions to my website that replace the original stock Endor missions. The only difference is you are now flying as Red Leader Wedge Antilles. There are a few other, minor changes too. They are under the downloads section.

I made a slight change to Mission 3 - for the "Reach Rally Point" goal, I have it set so it has to be inspected, rather then be in proximity. If you kept flying, the goal would jump back to incomplete.

In the Tunnel Run mission, I was messing around with Allied and found a way for Lando to attack the main reactor. I switched X-wing Red 1 to the Falcon, while also switching the Falcon to X-wing Red 1. This way, none of the orders get screwed up. For the Falcon (which was originally Wedge) has an order of "Attack Pressure Tank Reactor Core". In the order tab at the bottom you can set what part he attacks. Number 30 is the Power Regulator. Because this is Lando now, I have it set at 31, which is the Reactor. The only issue is you (as Wedge) have to attack the power regulator on the north tower before Lando attacks the reactor. If Lando fires his missiles and hits the reactor before you make your attack, the chain reaction will not start. You can, however, attack the reactor yourself which will start the chain reaction, but that's not really following how it went down. I have altered the Falcon's speed to give you time to attack the north tower. This way, you make your attack, then Lando attacks the main reactor, then the chain reaction starts.

https://www.freewebs.com/redleaderxwa/

Lastly, I'm working on 2 new Yavin missions - the first would be after the destruction of the Death Star. The Empire sends a huge strike force to invade the planet. The player, flying as Red 5 Luke Skywalker, you must provide cover for the evacuating ships. The second Yavin mission would be in an alternate reality - you fly as Darth Vader in his TIE Advanced x1 and must destroy any rebel ships and transports. I have not seen any custom missions where the player flies as Darth Vader, so I thought it would be cool.
"I want my sanity back." - Wedge Antilles

keiranhalcyon7
Lieutenant JG

Post by keiranhalcyon7 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:59 am

Does this mean you have more time to get out, since you can be "already on [your] way out" before the Falcon makes its attack?

Red_Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Red_Leader » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:05 am

keiranhalcyon7 wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:59 am
Does this mean you have more time to get out, since you can be "already on [your] way out" before the Falcon makes its attack?
Honestly, not really. You may have, at most, maybe a few more seconds.

I thought it was pretty cool getting the mission to work like this, and wanted to share it with everyone. Now I can't go back to flying the Falcon lol.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:49 am

Red_Leader wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:42 pm
Lastly, I'm working on 2 new Yavin missions - the first would be after the destruction of the Death Star. The Empire sends a huge strike force to invade the planet. The player, flying as Red 5 Luke Skywalker, you must provide cover for the evacuating ships. The second Yavin mission would be in an alternate reality - you fly as Darth Vader in his TIE Advanced x1 and must destroy any rebel ships and transports. I have not seen any custom missions where the player flies as Darth Vader, so I thought it would be cool.
Someone has played the Rogue Squadron series, or is it just a coincidence? RS2 had Vader attacking the base as a bonus mission, and the first mission of RS3 had Luke helping evacuation.

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:51 am

Would the Yavin mission be ground or space based? IIRC DTM has a whole surface for Yavin including the Temple buildings.

Red_Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Red_Leader » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:04 am

@ Tuskin: Yeah those are two of my favorite games. I'm using those missions as a general idea, but will put my own spin on it, XWA style. The other wingman, Sarkli (sp?) wouldn't be in the mission. I'm thinking the first part of the rebel mission you would have to destroy any transports before they hyper out of the area (reaching the planet). Then afterwards you would have to protect Leia as she is evacuating the planet possibly. I think the Vader mission would be fun. It'll be just a simple destroy anything type of mission. You would fly the TIE Advanced x1 as Black 1, with 2 TIE Fighters as bodyguards as Black 2 and Black 3.

@ Jaeven: No, probably a no go on the ground part. If I do, then that would mean more opts for the player to install. It would be cool, but I'm trying to use stock crafts at this point for mission creation.

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:11 am

Fair enough. The only reason I ask is because most of my memories in terms of the evacuation of Yavin back to the Rogue Squadron missions :P

DarHan
Rebel Alliance

Post by DarHan » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:43 pm

Thanks for these missions. My personal experience is that missions 1 and 3 feel harder now, but 2 and 4 feel easier. All in all, neat!
“Red Four, nothing’s gone wrong yet.”
— Hobbie Klivian

Red_Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Red_Leader » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:42 pm

@ Jaeven: Oh same here, I have fond memories of those games, especially the one for N64. With the new surface and sky opts, I always thought it would be neat to recreate Rogue Squadron in XWA's engine.

@ DarHan: Anytime, glad you liked it. I do like the Falcon but have always preferred the X-wing. I have thought of flying each of the Endor missions in a different fighter but never do it, and always go back to the X-wing.

The website is no longer up (I even forget the name of it honestly) but this was around 2002 or 2003. There was a website that had custom missions (I remember it having a white background for some reason), and the one at the very bottom was edited so you could fly an X-wing in the tunnel run. However, all that was done was the player craft was switched from the Falcon to the X-wing. So now Lando was attacking the power regulator while you still attacked the main reactor, so it was a bit backwards.