Star Wars Squadron - new EA game

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Re: Star Wars Squadron - new EA game

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:55 pm

sedenion wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:16 pm
Tuskin wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:57 pm
They never lied or baited about the game, period.
I really begin to wonder if my translation of the word "baited" is right... As I said, they don't need to lie. Until the release, many people believed (with hope) that SW:Squadrons will be a "reborn" of X-Wing vs Tie-Fighter, which SW:Squadrons is actualy very far from... In your opinion, why/how ?
Tuskin wrote:
I've actually played the game (unlike you) and it's exactly what they advertised.
True : An "Space Fighter pseudo simulation with power management playable with HOTAS up to 5 v 5 in multiplayer, and you can change the voice of your avatar"... This is exactly what you have, nothing more, nothing less.
Tuskin wrote:
How is the single player campaign false? What does that even mean?
14 missions designed as/like a tutorial... Simply compare to X-Wing Alliance.
Tuskin wrote:
Also there is no subscription to play this game (unless you're on X-Box/Playstation, but that's their service, not EAs)
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1222 ... Squadrons/

Code: Select all

INTERNET CONNECTION; EA ACCOUNT; STEAM ACCOUNT; ACCEPTANCE OF EA USER 
AGREEMENT (terms.ea.com) REQUIRED TO PLAY. YOU MUST LINK YOUR EA AND STEAM 
ACCOUNTS TO PLAY; 

Code: Select all

When you use an EA Service, EA may collect and store data from your computer or device,
including information about your computer or device, hardware, installed software, and operating
system (such as IP Address and device ID), information about your EA Service usage, gameplay and
usage statistics, system interactions and peripheral hardware. If you play an EA Service offline, this
data will be stored on your device and transmitted to EA when your device connects to the Internet.

EA uses this information to operate its business, improve its products [blah blah we love you, we take
care of you, this is for your good, we are nice and very morale company, blah blah, trust us]
Tuskin wrote:
but stop spreading a false narrative about a game you've never played to someone who has.
I don't need, I know the game industry/GAFAM agenda and this game is designed for/according this agenda. It miss everything that, in my opinion, make the difference between a beautiful gadget (with spyware features) and a real game.
Neither of those things you quoted is a subscription. That word isn't even used in the text.
There's no Spyware.
The campaign isn't 'False' in any sense of the word. You clearly don't know what that word means.
Anyone who believed this was going to be exactly like the old sims was confused. None of the marketing implied it would be.

Seriously man what is your problem? You're acting like the game kicked your dog or something. Let it go and move on, no one is forcing you to play or like the game. XWA is still here for you to play it isn't going away.

sedenion
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by sedenion » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:19 pm

Tuskin wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:55 pm
Neither of those things you quoted is a subscription. That word isn't even used in the text.
Then, maybe this is simply a vocabulary subtlety problem... ok, this is not a "subscription", this is an "account creation with Terms and Conditions agreement".
Tuskin wrote:
There's no Spyware.
Factually, you don't know, you don't have the source code. And obviously if there is, they will never tell you or never call it like that (the "legal" ones are often called "Data collection" and "telemetry", this is marketing). But the "Terms and Conditions" explicitly said that you agree that EA collect data from your computer, such as hardware config, installed softwares, without precise définition of the perimeter of data that is collected (this may go far). (Notice that Windows do exactly the same.. but obviously the backdoors implemented on demand of FBI or NSA does not exist, this is a conspiracy theory, and Edward Snowden is a fictional character of an hollywood movie.)
Tuskin wrote:
Seriously man what is your problem? You're acting like the game kicked your dog or something.
As I said, this is not this game. This is the game industry, and GAFAM (hey work together for a similar agenda). I don't blame the developers, they do the job they are paid for.
Tuskin wrote:
Let it go and move on, no one is forcing you to play or like the game.
You "talk" to me, I respond, nothing more.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:22 pm

Enough now!
No one is going to win here and everyone has their own different opinions.
Both sides have had their say now and it's gone on long enough.

This thread from now on is for people who are playing Squadrons and want to discuss it.
If you don't like the game, fine, then post on a different site. I don't want to have to start deleting posts.
Thank you.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

eddyfurax
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by eddyfurax » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:41 pm

Thanks Ace for your intervention.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:41 pm

Anyways how about the TIE Defender and B-wing.

I did not see that coming. Though apparently that's the only planned major update.

DarHan
Rebel Alliance

Post by DarHan » Wed Nov 18, 2020 10:01 pm

The Defender will likely be just as I see it in XWA: a joy to fly, a nightmare to face.

I’m still waiting to see what the B-Wing feels like. I can’t believe Squadrons is starting to make me like the Y-Wing.
“Red Four, nothing’s gone wrong yet.”
— Hobbie Klivian

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:21 am

The B-Wing has its gyroscopic cockpit, I wonder how that's going to work. I feel like it could be confusing to fly if the body of your ship isn't at the same angle as your view.

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:12 am

If they're going with the nuCanon version of the TIE Defender, it won't be as powerful as in the past.
According to Wookieepedia the non-elite TIE Defender goes at only 115 MGLT.
In the Steam News Post they also pointed out that the two will be balanced for the sake of gameplay, meaning the T/D will likely be nerfed from its former glory.
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

Det. Bullock
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Det. Bullock » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:47 pm

Vince T wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:12 am
If they're going with the nuCanon version of the TIE Defender, it won't be as powerful as in the past.
According to Wookieepedia the non-elite TIE Defender goes at only 115 MGLT.
In the Steam News Post they also pointed out that the two will be balanced for the sake of gameplay, meaning the T/D will likely be nerfed from its former glory.
Which defeats the purpose of the T/D, why didn't they use the Assault Gunboat?

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:14 pm

Because the Assault Gunboat is now a rare rebel fighter in the disneyverse, unlike in the original EU where it was an imperial craft mostly assigned to special forces
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

cvilleraven
Recruit

Post by cvilleraven » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:25 pm

If the TIE Defender had the same overall firepower as it did in TIE Fighter, we'd face nothing but full squadrons of Defenders in every battle, and the Empire would never lose again. That might make for sound military strategy where money is of no concern, but it's terrible for a competitive game, and would kill it faster than the 0 pilot rating bug ever could. You thought swarms of rotary canon bombers were bad, just imagine 5 Defenders that have 30% higher speed than an interceptor, more guns than a bomber, and more maneuverability than an A-Wing.

I'm also intrigued about the B-Wing finally being built to canon specs (gyroscopic cockpit). There will need to be something in engine that provides a cue for where the body of the ship is for those of us not flying in VR (and I'm even more jealous of those of you who are, since you'll get the full visual effect of it).

Another thing to think about - in canon, TIE pilots were initially confused about where to shoot since the body rotated. They eventually learned "just shoot at the cockpit." I wonder how that will play out with the limited auto-aim in every ship, and even more so with the guided laser systems.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:25 pm

Rookie_One1 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:14 pm
Because the Assault Gunboat is now a rare rebel fighter in the disneyverse, unlike in the original EU where it was an imperial craft mostly assigned to special forces
WHAT? When did that happen? :shock:

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:34 pm

The Defender has shields, which means it won't have the power shunt ability like the Standard Imperial Fighter/Interceptor/Bombers have.

Rookie_One1 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:14 pm
It was still used by the Empire according to one source. Maybe the Rebels just managed to capture some or something.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Alpha- ... _Star_Wing
Det. Bullock wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:47 pm

Which defeats the purpose of the T/D, why didn't they use the Assault Gunboat?
The B-Wing and TIE Defender, (plus the custom games and browser) have been a constant demand since launch or even before launch in some cases, when they announced all 8 ships.
According to the post, they're adding them because of the demand.

Drinkinmiester
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Drinkinmiester » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:04 pm

I'm more interested in the server changes, if it lets there be custom skirmishes and stuff it could make the game play much more interesting

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:18 pm

Looking at the picture of the Defender again, those wings look longer than they should be. The Star Wars Rebels and DICE Battlefront 1 versions are fairly faithful to the EU design, so that's odd.

Det. Bullock
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Det. Bullock » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:33 am

Tuskin wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:18 pm
Looking at the picture of the Defender again, those wings look longer than they should be. The Star Wars Rebels and DICE Battlefront 1 versions are fairly faithful to the EU design, so that's odd.
A cheaper mass production version perhaps?

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:19 am

I saw it pointed out somewhere else that they may have based it on the Elite version of the model seen later on in Rebels, it has longer wings

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/TIE/D_Defender_Elite

Compared to the Standard Tie/D in Rebels:

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:36 pm

Just gonna leave this here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 3ymOAD64AI

*Stretches*.
1st Lt Sigurd "BattleDog" Stormhand, Assigned Corsair Squadron, Renegade Wing, CRS Vigilant.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:57 am

Someone's enjoying himself :D

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:11 am

Vince T wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:57 am
That particular match was a turkey shoot with lots of rookie pilots on the other team. I was only second highest scorer in that match, highest was 11, neither of us got shot down once.

Having said that, I'm currently averaging five kills to three deaths (that's the actual average per match), winning about 70-75% of the matches I play and my stated KD is 1.31. It occurs to me as I get better I'm going to start becoming a magnet for enemy fire.

My hit rate with lasers is about 23%, which might not sound like much but most pilots have a hit rate in single figures, including some of the Rogue Squadron pilots I flew with last night (that's the Rogue Squadron from Renegade Wing) if you remember that far back.
1st Lt Sigurd "BattleDog" Stormhand, Assigned Corsair Squadron, Renegade Wing, CRS Vigilant.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

Det. Bullock
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Det. Bullock » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:27 am

BattleDog wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:11 am
Vince T wrote:
That particular match was a turkey shoot with lots of rookie pilots on the other team. I was only second highest scorer in that match, highest was 11, neither of us got shot down once.
It happened to me a few times.
It's really weird for me because whenever I try multiplayer I usually get trounced (like, in Quake Live I passed more time waiting to respawn than playing the actual game), here even when I meet people better than me I can at least land a few hits before ingloriously biting the bullet.
IIRC I even lost at least one match with around 10 kills under my belt because my squadmates were so bad that the barely competent members of the other squad managed to rack up enough kills to win.

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:08 am

Det. Bullock wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:27 am
BattleDog wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:11 am
Vince T wrote:
It happened to me a few times.
It's really weird for me because whenever I try multiplayer I usually get trounced (like, in Quake Live I passed more time waiting to respawn than playing the actual game), here even when I meet people better than me I can at least land a few hits before ingloriously biting the bullet.
IIRC I even lost at least one match with around 10 kills under my belt because my squadmates were so bad that the barely competent members of the other squad managed to rack up enough kills to win.
We've been waiting 21 years for a multiplayer game we're good at - here it is.

Got to fill the number five spot for Renegade's Wing's warmup this evening, that was fun. I still feel a bit like the guy tagging along at the back trying not to die but at least I'm not a dead weight, got four kills, only died twice, got a fair few assist and did a lot of damage generally.

Maybe we should put together an XWAU squad - we can be the "Nerd and Engineers".

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

haui
Cadet 1st Class

Post by haui » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:53 am

i love the game but the loading time and connection time is terrible hope it will be betterwith the new server browser.
It's better to burn out than to fade away .

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:24 am

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

capitanguinea
Galactic Empire

Post by capitanguinea » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:13 pm

ok. I give it my shot thanks to a friend. I pulled out my joystick and sadly not my pedals, and configured a keyboard to his consolle. then we started.
I will not comment the total absence of training in the youngsters who faced me (mostly they were kids... so it is not their fault) but the game has all the physics we expected in a X-Wing simulator. So all our dear tricks work, and greatly. The only thing that is quite different is warhead management (no Shadow Bombing, but that is acceptable ad after a open chat with the developers, I get the feeling they will introduce that dynamic very soon).

Now, the mission. Good.
Now the team up algorythm: no sense. But the same chat give me hope that they would fix it.
All in all I think that the game it more public than expected and they are motivated to give us more. The B-Wing and TIE Defender are just a first DLC. They considered the franchise, and probably, we will see all the ships we have already seen in X-Wing Miniatures Game, because they have the same lincence applicated - and it would be stupid to pay something for not using it.

So until the game will go they will give us stuff.