Star Wars Squadron - new EA game

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Re: Star Wars Squadron - new EA game

Drinkinmiester
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Drinkinmiester » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:00 pm

yep
if modders can pick it apart there may be hope...

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:34 am

sedenion wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:36 am
It is "conspiracy theory" until it become "progress" or "new standard".
You're spouting complete nonsense.
sedenion wrote:
This is precisely what I call "false choice, false freedom, false customization".

None of those are false in this game. You have choices, freedom and customization.
sedenion wrote:
They now even allow you to play for free... what is their business model ?
You buying stuff with your money. All those free to play games have in game stores or other ways to spend your money, they're not completely free.

Anyways Squadrons isn't one of those games.
sedenion wrote:
With X-Wing Squadron, you cannot even properly play the solo campaign without being connected to their cloud
Yes you can, I did it myself.

And you can turn off all the data gathering features in the games options and still play the game, they're not required.

sedenion wrote:
this is a "conspiracy theory".
Yep, it is.
Drinkinmiester wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:00 pm
yep
if modders can pick it apart there may be hope...
It uses easy anti cheat, so I doubt modding will be possible without getting banned.

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:26 am

Vince T wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:26 am
I gave it a quick run last evening. Completed the tutorial and quit again.

Not sure if it's just me but even if I wanted to connect to the EA servers, I simply can't, because the bloody login overlay (Steam version) is completely screwed up. After a few seconds, it deletes whatever I type and after a few more seconds it's bugged completely and I can't enter anything in the login fields.

Sooo, that's it for me. I'll go back to XWA. I've wasted 40 bucks on better things.
Awwww.... but.... I'm gonna need a wingman.

Oh well, guess I'll fly with Ace if he'll have me.

More seriously - that just sounds like a bug.

Is this game deep? No, it is not, but it's deep enough to provide fun dogfighting which is the major purpose of this release.
1st Lt Sigurd "BattleDog" Stormhand, Assigned Corsair Squadron, Renegade Wing, CRS Vigilant.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

Drinkinmiester
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Drinkinmiester » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:27 am

I do admit the dogfight mode is pretty fun but the way the match making is done needs improvement, it seems completely random and theres no way to pick which map or any options or settings for the game

cvilleraven
Recruit

Post by cvilleraven » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:24 am

It's an EA game that does exactly what they promised, and so far does not do what they promised it wouldn't (microtransactions are nonexistent.)

From here, a more in-depth story could be written as well as additional fighters in later iterations/DLC. So long as we don't have to deal with the ludicrously overpowered TIE Defender or missile boat.

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:00 pm

For the TIE/D:
"Advanced space superiority fighter. This craft is too powerful to be put in this simulation. Dream on, fanboy!"

For the Missile Boat :
"This is the King Hell God Emperor Starfighter of Death and you can't fly it yet!"
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

XDragon
Cadet 1st Class

Post by XDragon » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:34 pm

So, can we talk about how satisfying it is to spin a bomber through a drift around a corvette or other cap ship and unleash a barrage of missiles/proton beam?
Founder of Z3R0 (Zero Command)
https://xdragon2688.wixsite.com/z3ro/

ttenor12
Cadet 4th Class

Post by ttenor12 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:37 pm

BattleDog wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 1:12 am

In general this feels like what it is, an AAA game made on a shoestring - the basics are there, the production value is good, the presentation is slick but the game is rather thin.
Except this isn't a AAA game because of its budget. That's why the price is $40. With a AAA budget, I'm pretty sure they would had been able to achieve more, but I also think it would had been monetized more aggressively.

ttenor12
Cadet 4th Class

Post by ttenor12 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:44 pm

So far, I'm loving it, though I definitely prefer X Wing Alliance, though I can't play in VR with X Wing Alliance with my potato PC because in XWA I have poor performance even if I follow the optimization guide :/ so I'm going with Squadrons to take full advantage of my Rift S.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:49 am

One of the star systems in the Single Player campaign is the Remitik system from the TIE Fighter demo, and only the TIE Fighter demo it wasn't in the full game, and according to Wookieepedia, no other book or media had used it since then.

That's a very obscure connection.

I would say more, but no spoiler tags on this forum.

SoltyBadger
Recruit

Post by SoltyBadger » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:17 am

i would love a trench run map or at least some more game modes. i''m a little disappointed there are no atmospheric battles or missions, that got me excited watching the hunted trailer.

axeil55
Cadet 4th Class

Post by axeil55 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:00 am

Been playing this since launch last week. Still has a lot of bugs but I can tell this is a good foundation on which to build. Definitely wish the SP campaign was longer, but it's about as long as the Balance of Power campaign and I can understand them wanting to focus on getting the gameplay working well. Multiplayer is a blast. I never was able to play online with XvT so I'm now making up for lost time I suppose.

The biggest thing I think is this is perking a lot interest in the older games, so I hope we'll have a nice little renaissance of people playing XWA, XvT, TIE Fighter and X-Wing from this.

Det. Bullock
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Det. Bullock » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:13 pm

I have finished the campaign and without spoilers I like that they didn't sugarcoat the empire like I feared.
It's very Wing Commander but with mission variety, I definetively want more of it.

Rookie_One1 wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:00 pm
For the TIE/D:
"Advanced space superiority fighter. This craft is too powerful to be put in this simulation. Dream on, fanboy!"

For the Missile Boat :
"This is the King Hell God Emperor Starfighter of Death and you can't fly it yet!"
:lachtot:

DarHan
Rebel Alliance

Post by DarHan » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:01 am

Okay, I just got the game. Aaaaand I’m already lost. How the hell do I tell both Steam and the game that my Speedlink Phantom Hawk flight stick is a flight stick, and not a Xbox One or PS3 gamepad? Anyone got any advice on that?
“Red Four, nothing’s gone wrong yet.”
— Hobbie Klivian

SoltyBadger
Recruit

Post by SoltyBadger » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:37 am

DarHan wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:01 am
Okay, I just got the game. Aaaaand I’m already lost. How the hell do I tell both Steam and the game that my Speedlink Phantom Hawk flight stick is a flight stick, and not a Xbox One or PS3 gamepad? Anyone got any advice on that?
that's odd, perhaps its not a supported stick. connecting my T.Flight HOTAS X and pedals didn't require any setup on steam, i ran the game selecting joystick controller and bound the axis' and buttons and it worked.

maybe searching for an updated driver will help or just bind it as a gamepad and see how it does. perhaps trying joystick gremlin if nothing else works, although i have never used it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd3h2tW ... SIfK3SGUh0

Another possible fix i found on reeddit is to disable controller support: Right click on the game > properties > Set "Steam input per game setting" to "forced off".
https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsSquadr ... detection/

DarHan
Rebel Alliance

Post by DarHan » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:57 pm

I’m already running the latest drivers for the stick. I’ve also already disabled controller support. No dice: the stick is still recognized as a gamepad, with the buttons and axes all mismatched.
— Hobbie Klivian

SoltyBadger
Recruit

Post by SoltyBadger » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:02 pm

well i'd say if the buttons and axis' cant be rebinded correctly then vjoy and joystick gremlin maybe the way to go. hope you can get it working.

haui
Cadet 1st Class

Post by haui » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:44 pm

when i am right then players that have deactivated all arcarde functions and players with every help function on play in the same map. is that right
It's better to burn out than to fade away .

Det. Bullock
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Det. Bullock » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:11 pm

DarHan wrote:
Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:57 pm
I’m already running the latest drivers for the stick. I’ve also already disabled controller support. No dice: the stick is still recognized as a gamepad, with the buttons and axes all mismatched.
OK, I'll make a list of things including probably stuff that's already been mentioned just to be sure:
Has your stick a console/PC switch or Dinput/Xinput? Then set it to PC mode or Dinput mode, it might not be a hardware switch but a software switch so you might need to check the drivers.
Did you set the Steam input API to "forced off"?
Did you try rebinding axes in-game? Because IIRC you can rebind gamepads.
DId you check if there is any software present that might interfere?

DarHan
Rebel Alliance

Post by DarHan » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:04 am

Okay, sorry I forgot to update.
  1. The flight stick is exclusively a PC one. No switch. Most recent manufacturer driver installed. It’s the kind of stick that you plug into a PC and it works in XWA, Rogue Squadron, and FS2 without any tinkering needed.
  2. The Steam input API is already set to “forced off”, but it changes nothing. The game still detects the stick as a Xbox gamepad.
  3. No software interfering at all. I’ve never installed anything related to joystick management before, because the stick works out of the box in my non-Steam games.
  4. I managed to make it work by rebinding everything in Steam’s controller options, but it’s still awkward. For example, I have to remember which button is “B”, “L↓” or “RT” again whenever the game prompts me to press said button.
— Hobbie Klivian

Det. Bullock
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Det. Bullock » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:04 am

DarHan wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:04 am
The flight stick is exclusively a PC one. No switch. Most recent manufacturer driver installed. It’s the kind of stick that you plug into a PC and it works in XWA, Rogue Squadron, and FS2 without any tinkering needed.
I know it's a PC one, I have already seen the model, I implied that the stick may have some weird Xinput compatible mode/feature for those games that won't accept Dinput devices, that it also has vibration may be the issue as IIRC Dinput devices don't really do rumble and force feedback has been deprecated years ago.
The game may ironically expect a more standard Dinput device and the thing is just a bit too weird software-wise.

sedenion
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by sedenion » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:18 pm

Det. Bullock wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:04 am
I know it's a PC one, I have already seen the model, I implied that the stick may have some weird Xinput compatible mode/feature for those games that won't accept Dinput devices, that it also has vibration may be the issue as IIRC Dinput devices don't really do rumble and force feedback has been deprecated years ago.
The game may ironically expect a more standard Dinput device and the thing is just a bit too weird software-wise.
I read many comments on steam complaining about joysticks and HOTAS support on PC, in breif : there is (currently) no real support for other devices than the ones already compatibles with consoles, which mean game pads and T.Flight Hotas series. It seem the game was first designed for consoles (obvious), and released on PC only because it is natively Windows compatible, but not tested nor adjusted for PC.

Personnaly, I think what EA does is close to a scam. To me, It is clear that the game is a console game, designed and created for consoles, either technically (which explain the amount of bug on PC) and for gameplay (no comment). Before the release they deliberately focused their communication on "power adjustment", some "elitism" and about "HOTAS compatibility" to bait the old PC gamers beleiving in a revival of X-Wings series...

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:33 pm

Det. Bullock wrote:
DarHan wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:04 am
The flight stick is exclusively a PC one. No switch. Most recent manufacturer driver installed. It’s the kind of stick that you plug into a PC and it works in XWA, Rogue Squadron, and FS2 without any tinkering needed.
I suspect you may be on to something there, Squadrons doesn't support any form of rumble on joysticks so it may just be that the anything with rumble is detects as a pad.
1st Lt Sigurd "BattleDog" Stormhand, Assigned Corsair Squadron, Renegade Wing, CRS Vigilant.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Sun Oct 11, 2020 12:42 pm

sedenion wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:18 pm
Det. Bullock wrote:
I read many comments on steam complaining about joysticks and HOTAS support on PC, in breif : there is (currently) no real support for other devices than the ones already compatibles with consoles, which mean game pads and T.Flight Hotas series. It seem the game was first designed for consoles (obvious), and released on PC only because it is natively Windows compatible, but not tested nor adjusted for PC.

Personnaly, I think what EA does is close to a scam. To me, It is clear that the game is a console game, designed and created for consoles, either technically (which explain the amount of bug on PC) and for gameplay (no comment). Before the release they deliberately focused their communication on "power adjustment", some "elitism" and about "HOTAS compatibility" to bait the old PC gamers beleiving in a revival of X-Wings series...
This is patently false, most people have no problem using the Saitek/Logitech devices designed for PC alongside the Thurstmaster ones. The problem is not that the game doesn't support joysticks it's that all joysticks are produced by either Logitech, Thustmaster, or some Chinese firm that uses janky software.

As to false advertising, this game is exactly as advertised, it's a modern lightweight space sim with a fair amount of X-Wing DNA. Honestly, it's the game I said I thought we'd eventually get, years ago, basically Starfighter with the radar from Rogue Squadron and a few bits of X-Wing. Is it perfect, no, but it's far from the terrible mess some people on Steam and reddit are claiming it is.

Honestly, these days if something doesn't live up to the hype 100% is gets trashed. Everybody needs to go take a nice long walk with a pretty girl and then go have a drink. Which, incidentally is where I'm off to very shortly. :D

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:01 pm

My one complaint on the Joystick functionality was the default mapping on the axis was not pull up/push down.