Never to see the light of Day - Or Guess the WIP spaceship Game!

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Never to see the light of Day - Or Guess the WIP spaceship Game!

Berruga
XWAU Member

Post by Berruga » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:37 pm

HI everyone! Just wanted to put some more of my part for the community and of course entertain the Pilot's Lounge a little too.

Through the years at the X-wing Alliance Upgrade there has been many parallel projects of new starships, starfighters of many shapes and sizes, of many different sci-fi sources but mostly based on Star Wars movies, shows, and Expanded Universe literature, just because we all here love Star Wars and Spaceships. And traditionally most of them have been announced, previewed and posted here, in the forums' Pilot's Lounge.

But what you probably don't know is that for each nice and shinny finished project, (That against all odds had finally ended being a fully fledged OPT model that can run in our beloved space sim videogame) there has been a ton of unfinished projects that ended nowhere to be known in countless almost broken hard-drives. Kept as rare treasures inside all kind of unpronounceable Swedish-named-office-furniture's drawers, waiting for its creator to retake that forgotten project from oblivion and finish it at any foreseeable time... to no avail.

So for the sake of the memories of all those spaceship model creators that had shown more imagination and creativity than actual perseverance and motivation to finish what they have started before moving to another seemingly to be forgotten project...

Let' it be! The Guess the WIP spaceship Game!

Rules:

1 - The Project Procrastinator will post one picture at a time of a WORK IN PROGRESS (Yes, that's what W.I.P. stands for) spaceship of spacy-thingy project from a not-so-evident angle.

2 -The players guess the spaceship that inspires the WIP project, one try per post per player.

3 - If no one knows the answer another picture is posted leaving more evidence of the model of the spaceship or the source it is based on or inspired by..

4 - This goes on until someone hits the correct answer, and then the Project Procrastinator reveals the WIP.
(And maybe and only maybe, it could find the time and the motivation to push some more details in... no, not really.)

5 - After that another WIP is shown and the game go on until there are no more unfinished projects to show...

6 - Any other modeller with any unseen or long forgotten WIPs is welcome to be part of the game!!

Reclaimer:
Some level of Sci-fi and Star Wars obsession is needed for recognizing most WIPs.
The level of nerdity required to pinpoint the source of some WIPs may vary up to eleven.
The arcane and obscure knowledge of some just-seen-once background of the Good&Old Star Wars Expanded Universe maybe required.
The depicted material to be seen or not to be seen could come from some unbelievable official sources that may require medication in some cases.
The Author of the thread is not legally viable of being reprimanded for procrastinating on his actual projects as an excuse for obtaining more WIPs
The Author assures to the "team" that he is actually working on that project you know, it is true, he is almost there, he will finish it on time, really!
Any Past Performance Is Not Indicative Of Future Results of any kind, but Past Procrastinating Is Indicative of Future procrastination for sure.

Berruga
XWAU Member

Post by Berruga » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:41 pm

Let's begin the game with the first unfinished project:

Which Star Wars Spaceship is it?

Now?

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:12 am

MC40 Lusla remake?

I love this idea! I think I have ~50+ WIPs oxidating around on my HD. (Though most of those are custom designs XD)
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

Berruga
XWAU Member

Post by Berruga » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:11 am

I would lovee to see your spaceships WIPS!

And Nice try! But is not Xwaup related (And I'm not saying that I don't have a model of the Lusla somewhere) And yes is a MC cruiser but which model?

Avarice1987
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Avarice1987 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:17 pm

Is it the Mon Remonda?

Jaeven
XWAU Member

Post by Jaeven » Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:34 pm

I'd guess it's the MC80A version that was used in the old X-wing/TIE Fighter games prior to XWA.

Berruga
XWAU Member

Post by Berruga » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:30 pm

YESSSS!! :applaus: :party: Jaeven is the winner!!!!

Here you have a cookie:

Yes is the MC80a Star Cruiser

First seen at the The Rebel Alliance Sourcebook for West End Games famous Star Wars Roleplaying game. And it we could see it in the original X-wing Intro. that we probably have seen countless times:

But was also featured as a OPT model in Star Wars: Tie-Fighter and X-wing vs Tie-fighter.

We saw it at Star Wars:Rebellion too:

Are you ready for the next WIP??

Berruga
XWAU Member

Post by Berruga » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:45 pm

Here we go! No time for relax...

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:29 pm

That looks like the unholy child of a T/I snd a Naboo Fighter. Can‘t help but think I‘ce seen this before ....

Berruga
XWAU Member

Post by Berruga » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:05 am

Yes is somewhere to be found on the internet but more exactly in some Official Artbook... an starfighter design of sorts... but you are not going to find it in the wookieepedia for sure:

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:05 am

That MC80a would be a great addition. Is this the same model ? Someone made this over a decade ago . . . and called it the MC Barracuda class I think. Made up name.
MC80a Barracuda Class.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:07 am

I think that's the MC-75 Barracuda made by JM.

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:11 am

Ah, yes. I remember now. I always liked this para-mil. colored texture, but it obviously could use a major overhaul. Windows way too big.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

Berruga
XWAU Member

Post by Berruga » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:19 am

Yes, That's JM's Barracuda, If you can see the side of the model, is exactly the same profile as the MC-80a but with a much much thinner body giving it an much more smooth and sleek look. I'm sure JM started the model with the idea of doing the MC-80a version for XWA but he found the same problems I realized trying to match the WEG side reference drawing and a 3d model... it just look weird.
Even more if you want to fit an hangar there specially with those engine nacelles just right under it.

Tip tip tip is based on the cut starfighter artwork for what movie?

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:19 am

OK, I don't know that fighter. From the looks of it, it could've been something for RotS

I like the design either way.

Berruga
XWAU Member

Post by Berruga » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:44 pm

Yes it is! This is the original concept art from Warren Fu:

But what caught my attention was the fan model based on that design which you can be found at Modeler's Miniatures & Magic website:

Clone Fighter Cut from 'Revenge of the Sith' Custom Build Model

Love every bit of the model so I decided to do the model for Xwa... or at least i tried...

I know this one was hard, but I have some of the much worse ones in the gun chamber if you want to find them out...

Ok So by now you got a cookie!

Well just worth Half-a-cookie:

Next one will be much easier really!
What can you tell me with just looking at this?

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:01 pm

Mmmm, I'll throw in a wild guess: The Ebon Hawk, not 100% certain tho ....

That clone fighter looks pretty interesting!

Berruga
XWAU Member

Post by Berruga » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:34 pm

Mmmnn... it may look like a Dynamic class freighter but is not, It is an imperial era freighter... well actually is a tribute to the Ebon Hawk design so quite close :D
Let's take a closer look... I mean wider look:

Ok let's see if you can find it out now...
It's from a now defunct mobile game...

Sorry It seems that NO COOKIES TODAY they will be kept in the jar until someone guess the next one!

The game is STAR WARS: UPRISING

It was a Free-to-play Star Wars Dungeon Crawler for mobile phones by Kabam!, with some excellent artwork by Brian Matyas the same author that did 'The Mandalorian' art.

The ship itself has never been named it just resemble some kind of Corellian light freighter that looks like the Ebon Hawk class of old... at it never appeared in-game actually, it was only guessed at some promotional artwork it seems a very low poly model was made but never used in-game.

I just expanded from there and adding some features from the YU-410 series model, because in my head cannon it's a YU-910...

The game itself had a some nice elaborated background star wars story filled with tons of Expanded Universe references that I personally love,but it lacked due to its repetitive gameplay mechanics and grinding, that are so common on many mobile free-to-play games...

Berruga
XWAU Member

Post by Berruga » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:19 pm

OK Let's go for the Next one!!!!

I imagine i should just post the whole thing and forget about close-in pictures...

Anyone?

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:22 pm

Hmm I don't know either of those recent ships but they sore look awesome!

Berruga
XWAU Member

Post by Berruga » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:45 pm

Well they are not related with mainstream Star Wars material, the last one comes from the Star Wars RPG... but not the classic D6 version but the D20 system that came after, and I'm worried most of my WIPs are related to that kind of not-so-popular star wars sources... or at least not wide-known ones...

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:53 pm

Well at least it' star wars of some sort. I just realized most of the WIPs I have are either from my BPC campaign or original designs (quasi-star wars )

OK I'll ad one of mine. Pretty low-detaild tho ...
whatisthiswip.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Berruga
XWAU Member

Post by Berruga » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:20 pm

Looks like the Imperial Citadel from Tie-Fighter Intro??

My guess...

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:26 pm

Close but wrong game.

It's the Imperial Palace from the Darkside Ending in Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5okfbG2pRM

This dates way back to 2003 or so, when the Imperial City Project (ICP) was still a thing.
imperialpalace.jpg

Berruga
XWAU Member

Post by Berruga » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:35 pm

Wow!!! Nice, I'm sure they were inspired by Tie-fighter representation of the Palace when they did the cut-scene for Jedi Knight. At least they share that gothic-style resemblance...

Thank you so much for sharing this!

The last starship I posted is the Aeon Ranger, it appeared at the second issue of the Star Wars Gamer magazine in theory half of the ship is mostly a very old YG-4210 with attached series YG-5000 engines.

As a curiosity the ship was featured in the Lego Star Wars: The Freemakers Adventures shown as a background filler ship.
The whole series although non-canon have little nice touches left for Expanded Universe fans here and there:

The design itself was done in 2020 by the illustrator Jeff Carlisle, that has done lots of other Star Wars ans Sci-fi illustrations.

And the model itself is based directly at space gooose superb model.
it is so well finished and polished that inspired me to do my version for XWA but trying to make it even more closer to the original Aeon Ranger Design by Jeff Carlisle.

And that's the story behind the WIP...

Let's ha a look to the next one: