Which joystick?

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Which joystick?

ben1
Cadet 4th Class

Post by ben1 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:33 am

Hello,

I love the work going on here for XWA.

Do people have preference for a certain joystick. I am currently without one after throwing mine away some 10 years ago.

Thanks!

Ben.

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:59 am

Personally love the logitech x52 Pro. I find it's a great layout and value. Build quality can be a bit of an issue though. So be sure to buy from a store that has a good return policy in case you do get a bad unit.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

eddyfurax
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by eddyfurax » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:15 pm

I use a Microsoft sidewinder force feedback 2
He is perfectly adapted for Xwing alliance.
And "the must" : the force feedback. You have vibration when you shoot, when you are in hyperspace, when you have a collision or be shoot or an you fly near an explosion. Great sensation!
This joystick was made at the same years. It could be hard too find today. I find it on classified site for a small price (10€) a few years ago.
Now with new Microsoft flight simulator the price is a little expensive 100€ because all joystick are in out of stock.
I really recommend it. And This joystick is almost unbreakable
I think in Yard sales you can find it more for a good price.

The only point is you dont have a trottle separate. You have a small throttle included.
Sometimes it could be cool to have a separate throttle with more buttons.

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:23 pm

I have (3) Microsoft Force Feedback 2 joysticks... the problem is NO DRIVERS! which is a shame...

Sincerely, Rogue518
'Stay in Attack formation!' Darth Vader aka: Anakin Skywalker During the 'Battle Of Yavin'

eddyfurax
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by eddyfurax » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:29 pm

rogue518 wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:23 pm
I have (3) Microsoft Force Feedback 2 joysticks... the problem is NO DRIVERS! which is a shame...

Sincerely, Rogue518
Hello

I know that the old drivers dont work.
But Windows 10 recognise the joystick without problem see :
Capture FSSB2.jpg
Next just activate Force feedback in XWA

Sadly the force feedback is not recognize in SW Squadon.
But you can use simFBB https://github.com/joeyjojojunior/simFFB

Good fly Pilots friends ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

marcop000
Cadet 1st Class

Post by marcop000 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:38 pm

rogue518 wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:23 pm

Sincerely, Rogue518
You don't need driver for Microsoft Force Feedback 2 joysticks in XWA.

The force feddback work native and very good, but If you have multiple controllers (Throttle , pedals, etc..) I suggest to use vJoy to merge all in one device.

P.S.

For my opnion Microsoft Force Feedback 2 is one of best joystick.

DarHan
Rebel Alliance

Post by DarHan » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:35 pm

I have a Speedlink phantom Hawk joystick. The good news is that it has working drivers that provide functional vibration with XWA. The bad luck is you need to uninstall the driver for the joystick to work properly in Squadrons (without vibration)…
“Red Four, nothing’s gone wrong yet.”
— Hobbie Klivian

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:22 pm

eddyfurax and DarHan thanks for the info..... right now I am using ThrustMaster T.16000M FCS Hotas Joystick ;)

But I miss using my Microsoft Force Feedback joystick..... :(

Sincerely, Rogue518
'Stay in Attack formation!' Darth Vader aka: Anakin Skywalker During the 'Battle Of Yavin'

Avarice1987
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Avarice1987 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:35 pm

I have a joystick Dark Tornado SL 6632 BK I am very happy with it. I am posting abruptly because of something else. Recently I posted a tool for XWA, where you can change the joystick settings and assignment on the desktop. Somehow I don't find that any more

Snowdon
Recruit

Post by Snowdon » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:34 am

I'm using an old Saitek X45 I've had since I bought it in 2001. I bought it specifically to play the X-Wing games and it still seems to work 100% after all these years. They built these things to last!

JaggedFel
Galactic Empire

Post by JaggedFel » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:04 am

I used x52's until they died, and I currently use the T.16000M HOTAS and pedals.
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor v1.15.6
Current software WIPs: TIE Layout and Cutscene Editor, TIE/XvT Cockpit Editor
Libraries / Format specs: *.tie, *.plt, *.tfr, *.lfd , *.act, *.dat image files, *.fnt

Kriegmacher
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Kriegmacher » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:59 am

I've tried over a dozen different flight sticks over the years, some high-end, some low-end. None of them have ever provided the flight control, accuracy, and comfort that an XBOX controller gives me. There are enough buttons to remap all the important functionalities, the triggers offer native full, 2/3, 1/3 and no throttle, the right T-stick has rudder control, and the controller doesn't take up valuable real estate on my workstation.

I have no doubt this is the most heinous of heresies here, but I prefer a game controller...even the cheapest generic knockoffs...over any flight stick for XWA. For me, it's simply a better solution. It may not be for others.

theonegalen
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by theonegalen » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:14 am

I just got a VKB Gladiator NXT, and love it. I use it with an X56 throttle.

The problem is that the NXT/X56 throttle HOTAS combo isn't plug and play with XWA, I had to configure them as a single device emulating keyboard inputs with Joystick Gremlin. I have every XWA control under my fingertips and don't need the keyboard at all, which feels fantastic.

Det. Bullock
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Det. Bullock » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:05 pm

Kriegmacher wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:59 am
I've tried over a dozen different flight sticks over the years, some high-end, some low-end. None of them have ever provided the flight control, accuracy, and comfort that an XBOX controller gives me. There are enough buttons to remap all the important functionalities, the triggers offer native full, 2/3, 1/3 and no throttle, the right T-stick has rudder control, and the controller doesn't take up valuable real estate on my workstation.

I have no doubt this is the most heinous of heresies here, but I prefer a game controller...even the cheapest generic knockoffs...over any flight stick for XWA. For me, it's simply a better solution. It may not be for others.
The thing about precision is weird, I can't for the life of me be precise with thumbsticks. Super Mario Sunshine is driving me insane at times and while I got all gold medals in Rogue Squadron 3D on PC using a joystick I never managed with the sequels because I was stuck with a pad on the Gamecube.
Also I could barely fit all the controls for XWA I needed on a CH Combatstick and Pro Throttle set using a SHIFT key, an ALT key and the software mode switch, I can't really imagine how I could manage with a pad.
To each their own I guess.

funseeker702
Recruit

Post by funseeker702 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:19 pm

instead of a joystick? Is that a possibility? I know they're out there but can anyone recommend one?

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:28 pm

I'm going to post this here because it's sort of related, rather than opening a new thread on the topic. I don't think it's a bug or controller related, because I've used different controllers over the years and noticed the same thing. It's also not caused by backdrops- I've tested that theory. I don't think it's caused by refresh rates, either.

Has anyone else noticed, when flying, that you almost literally can't fly 'straight up' or 'straight down' in the game? Which is to say, when you try to point your nose at coordinates 0,0,1 or 0,0,-1, you seem to hit a 'bump' in the flight engine, and the more you try to hit that center point the more squirrely and stubborn it gets until to roll away to a slightly different heading? I've even had instances where I 'hit the bump' so dead-on that my craft wouldn't pitch back any more no matter how hard I pulled until I introduced a little sidestick either way to get the nose off of dead center up or down. Usually it happens chasing an evading enemy, but it's especially noticeable with the new super backdrops because with some of them you can easily tell which direction straight up or down is, and that's where it happens. Over the years I don't think I've ever heard anyone comment on it but as I recall it seems to have been a 'thing' darn near forever. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about, know what causes it, and if there is any way to get rid of it? I've been thinking for a long time that it's just the way the game 'is'.

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:33 pm

Yes, this is a known bug with currently no solution in sight unfortunately.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

batuta
Cadet 1st Class

Post by batuta » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:53 pm

yes i noticed it, but i was thinking it was my computer fault lol,

ZanElJOK
Rebel Alliance

Post by ZanElJOK » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:57 am

I also used an X-45 and an X-52 until the twist rudders went out on them. I then broke down and went all out for a warthog with rudder pedals.
May the Force be with you all.

FFM-IGEL
Cadet 4th Class

Post by FFM-IGEL » Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:53 pm

I use a combination of X-52 pro Throttle and MS Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 with a 43" 4K monitor.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:46 pm

Ok... that's a nice picand nice combination, but does your Microsoft Force Feedback 2 really work?, what type of drivers? I've been trying for years to get mine to work I have the one in the pic, but I also have one , the upgrade with the red light on it.... ;)

Edit: D' huh... I didn't read the other top threads will try to use: simFBB https://github.com/joeyjojojunior/simFFB but which one :?

Sincerely, Rogue518

FFM-IGEL
Cadet 4th Class

Post by FFM-IGEL » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:03 pm

Hello rogue518,

yes, the joystick works fine. Windows 10 recognizes it immediately. Look at the pictures. I don't have any other software running. The only thing I have to do from time to time is the following. As soon as the loading screen for the mission start is finished and I'm standing in the hanger of the "Defiance", I briefly pull the USB plug of the joystick out of the PC and immediately back in. Why? Because after the loading screen, the joystick is sometimes totally loose in the hand and does not align itself again.

rogue518
XWAU Member

Post by rogue518 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:09 am

Thanks FFM-FGELfor your help... yes I can install my Microsoft Force Feedback 2 joystick but there is no stationary throttle or force feedback in the joystick. I did install the simFFB-master
but no luck... thanks for your assistance anyway.

Sincerely, Rogue518

ual002
XWAU Member

Post by ual002 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:28 am

I'm rocking an X-56
Image Image Image Image Image

Oldcode
Rebel Alliance

Post by Oldcode » Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:33 am

I like the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick