brainstorming (Asteroid missile)

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

brainstorming (Asteroid missile)

Fliperr
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Fliperr » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:36 pm

Hello everyone. I don't know if I have to put this post in this section of the forum, if it goes somewhere else, please tell me.

I've been thinking about some concept art ideas for objects that haven't been updated yet.
On this first occasion I bring you some ideas for the missile asteroid.
The images I have prepared are combinations of images from the game and images searched on the internet.
I hope they serve to inspire the 3D modeler in model development.
Asteroi Warhead Launcher-Perspc.jpg
Asteroid Warhead Launcher Type 1.jpg
Asteroid Warhead Launcher Type 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fliperr
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Fliperr » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:40 pm

Add more conceptual images you had saved and reference images.
Cheers
Asteroid Warhead Launcher Type 3.jpg
Asteroid Warhead Launcher Type 4.jpg
Asteroid Warhead Launcher Type 5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fliperr
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Fliperr » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:43 pm

more images:
Asteroid Warhead Launcher Type 6.jpg
Asteroid Warhead Launcher Type 7.jpg
Asteroid Warhead Launcher Type 8.jpg

Fliperr
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Fliperr » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:51 pm

And the latest images and references:
Asteroid Warhead Launcher Type 9.jpg
Reference images:
REFER.jpg
I leave here the images for whoever wants to use them. Hope they help the modeler in the design of the model.

In the future I will upload new images for the missile asteroid.
I am open to new ideas and suggestions.
Greetings to all.

Fliperr
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Fliperr » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:55 pm

Hello everyone.
A new concept art image for the missile asteroid.
This time instead of being a composite image I have drawn the missile launcher by hand based on the reference images.
I'm a novice with image retouching programs.
I hope the images in this post can be useful for the XWAU model.

Now I want to do something similar with the asteroid laser battery.
a greeting

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:04 pm

These are good ideas. Certainly better than that basic Cone!
It's not something I think anyone from the XWAU is going to work on soon but would love others to have a go at one.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Fliperr
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Fliperr » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:50 am

Thanks for appreciating the effort Ace.
The message encourages me to continue contributing more ideas to the XWAU project.

:winkgrin:

Rookie_One1
Rebel Alliance

Post by Rookie_One1 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:28 pm

I could see those on the new asteroids in the pack :)
Rookie One, is that you?? - Ru Merleen, Rebel Spy at Imdaar Alpha
Current Holder of the Frying Pan of Death

Trevor
Lieutenant JG

Post by Trevor » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:03 pm

I think I prefer No4, its nice and boxy and reminds me of the misile launchers from rogue squadron

Trev

Fliperr
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Fliperr » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:54 am

Thanks Trev for the input. :D
A couple of days ago I was thinking of a new idea. It could be a nuclear silo model platform.
To see if I take some time I make a sketch to publish it.
Greetings to all

Avarice1987
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Avarice1987 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:16 pm

I like Number 4 too

JC
XWAU Member

Post by JC » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:37 am

Ya, 4..5..6..7..9 are good, haha. I imagine them as being semi-dormant and stored below the surface until a threat is detected, then they pop up and start acquiring and firing at targets.

Fliperr
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Fliperr » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:48 am

JC wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:37 am
Ya, 4..5..6..7..9 are good, haha. I imagine them as being semi-dormant and stored below the surface until a threat is detected, then they pop up and start acquiring and firing at targets.
Very good idea. :-D
That idea reminds me of the Macross SDF1 missile towers.
I leave you an original reference image from the Nue studio.

Will T
Galactic Empire

Post by Will T » Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:05 pm

The problem I have with most of these ideas is that they aren't consistent with the internal design language of XWA. Or even of the XWAU, given some of the releases.

What I mean by that is that, in XWA, stationary missile platforms are consistently portrayed as vertically oriented launch tubes. The conical tube on the Asteroid Warhead Launcher is similar to the conical tubes on the top and bottom of the Large Gun/Warhead Platform, and both are similar to the tube at the bottom of the Mine Type 3 (the one that launches missiles).

XWAU has kept the design of both the Large Gun/Warhead Platform and the Type 3 mine similar to XWA.

So changing the design only for the Asteroid Warhead Launcher means you lose that visual consistency.

Whether or not an upward cone is really the best design for a missile launcher is largely besides the point.

I think the AST Warhead Launcher should resemble the Large Gun/Warhead Launcher. Note that that doesn't necessarily mean they should be identical, or that you can't take any artistic liberties, just that I think you should look to XWA and XWAU's own internal design language first when looking for inspiration. For example, you could redesign the tube for this one to appear like it's on a similar swivelled mounting bracket to those above, and the tube could be angled as a result.
Formerly known as The 95 Headhunter

JC
XWAU Member

Post by JC » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:52 am

Missile launcher on the Finalizer(?). The only screengrab of it that I found anyways.

Fliperr
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Fliperr » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:48 am

Will T wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:05 pm
The problem I have with most of these ideas is that they aren't consistent with the internal design language of XWA. Or even of the XWAU, given some of the releases.

What I mean by that is that, in XWA, stationary missile platforms are consistently portrayed as vertically oriented launch tubes. The conical tube on the Asteroid Warhead Launcher is similar to the conical tubes on the top and bottom of the Large Gun/Warhead Platform, and both are similar to the tube at the bottom of the Mine Type 3 (the one that launches missiles).

XWAU has kept the design of both the Large Gun/Warhead Platform and the Type 3 mine similar to XWA.

So changing the design only for the Asteroid Warhead Launcher means you lose that visual consistency.

Whether or not an upward cone is really the best design for a missile launcher is largely besides the point.

I think the AST Warhead Launcher should resemble the Large Gun/Warhead Launcher. Note that that doesn't necessarily mean they should be identical, or that you can't take any artistic liberties, just that I think you should look to XWA and XWAU's own internal design language first when looking for inspiration. For example, you could redesign the tube for this one to appear like it's on a similar swivelled mounting bracket to those above, and the tube could be angled as a result.

Thank you very much for the information.
I am working on a nuclear silo type design right now, although I will take a look at the Large Gun / Warhead Platform to get some inspiration from the designs and get a glimpse of both.

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:44 pm

If you can make these models, perhaps even with S-Foils where they could fold up and out for deployment for example, and make them so that they could rotate 360* degrees, I could make them rotate in-game. I just successfully got the VSD-1's RotaryLauncher mesh to work. Would need the file(s) already textured in .obj or .3ds format. Then later, it could be imported into an existing/new asteroid.opt file or placed on Starships, Stations etc. other custom models.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.