Appreciating little details in The Mandalorian [possible spoilers]

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Appreciating little details in The Mandalorian [possible spoilers]

LordHelmet
Recruit

Post by LordHelmet » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:40 pm

You can really see how much care Favreau and Filoni put into this show. Following the XWA Upgrade project -- especially with all the recent additions -- has made me start paying more attention to the video game-esque aspects of the show, like the various spaceship cockpits, displays, sound design, etc. It's great seeing things from the games brought to life, like the Gozanti cruiser or the platforms. And as a fan of the X-wing/Tie Fighter series, I loved all the shots from the Tie pilots' point of view this week. From the interior details to using the CMD to target that transport thing, it felt straight out of the games and the OT. It'll be interesting to see what other stuff they incorporate in future episodes.

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:54 am

Seen the latest episode today and one thing that struck me was the sound of the turret locking on - which was the exact same sound from XWA's warhead launcher locking on.
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:32 pm

Could that sound have come from the movies originally?

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:10 am

Florini et al are doing a fantastic job. Friday's episode may have been an updated/upgraded version of the Arquitens Light Cruiser. Still waiting to see VSD's I & II and Carrack Cruisers, and old Dreadnaught, and . . . :-)
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

Det. Bullock
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Det. Bullock » Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:25 am

The Gozanti is from the cartoon Star Wars Rebels, Star Wars Squadrons took it from there.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:36 am

Actually, the Gozanti First appeared in EP1, you see it in the Background on Tatooine:
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/starw ... 0114160149

Fliperr
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Fliperr » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:50 am

The civilian version of the Gozanti transport also appears in a couple of episodes of Clone wars.
Here you have a concept art image for the series.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:12 am

Vince T wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:36 am
Actually, the Gozanti First appeared in EP1, you see it in the Background on Tatooine:
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/starw ... 0114160149
Protip, don't link images directly from Wookieepedia (or any of the Fandom wikis), it doesn't work for other people, and shows up as a grey square.

capitanguinea
Galactic Empire

Post by capitanguinea » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:54 pm

I have just one thing to say. HE-IS-ALIVE

there is hope for a true New Empire.

BenKenobi
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by BenKenobi » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:44 pm

Well, he's being hunted down, so your dreams will end soon!
:D
But was it a great episode or what! I thought last weeks episode was the best, only to find out this one is even better!

capitanguinea
Galactic Empire

Post by capitanguinea » Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:07 pm

Thrawn is too far popular to be killed. It is the same as per killing Grogu. And there is the way: the unnamed foes coming from the outer space he and the Chiss are fighting. And the Skywalkers in the Chiss Ascendancy. And so on. I believe that after the NR was shown as the puny ipocrit farse it was in sequel, we will get a new and stronger Empire very soon. One in which stormtroppers are quite like Mandalorians, where there is not anti alien feelings, and where genious reign. I hope it so strongly...

Bman
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Bman » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:30 pm

Yesterday's episode was brilliant. She's alive (as well as Thrawn). Since this TV series takes place 5 years after ROTJ it would be great to see Thrawn as the new master villain with Moss Gideon below him as his second in command. Although bringing Ruhk back to somehow escape death from (Rebels' TV show) would be interesting. Then follows the Thrawn trilology books.
W-I-P: TFTC, MC Viscount Cr., ISD-II Avenger, NL-1 Platform, Ton-Falk Esc. Cr., & Misc.

jmarso
Cadet 1st Class

Post by jmarso » Sun Dec 13, 2020 4:37 am

Sometimes I feel like Filoni and Favreau are trying to backdoor a LOT of the old EU material back into the canon. And I heartily approve.

the_stag
Rebel Alliance

Post by the_stag » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:26 pm

As long as they get those TPS reports filled out on time with a cover sheet. Otherwise The Mouse is going to send upper management to talk to them.

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:56 pm

Is it really backdooring if it's front and centre?

It happened in Rebels to (TIE Defender, Thrawn, Immobilizer, and Dreadnaught), and the novels and comics have been doing it since the wipe in 2016.

The news post from 2016 that said it was happening even said people with the licence were still allowed to use things from the EU. It was never off limits.

DarHan
Rebel Alliance

Post by DarHan » Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:36 pm

I’d say it even started before Disney. With the prequels and The Clone Wars, Lucas was already following the rule of “I’m doing my own thing but I’ll use stuff from the EU if I find something I like”.
“Red Four, nothing’s gone wrong yet.”
— Hobbie Klivian

Tuskin
Ensign

Post by Tuskin » Mon Dec 14, 2020 1:54 am

DarHan wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 9:36 pm
I’d say it even started before Disney. With the prequels and The Clone Wars, Lucas was already following the rule of “I’m doing my own thing but I’ll use stuff from the EU if I find something I like”.
Exactly. He always considered the EU to be a separate world from his Star Wars.

Vince T

Post by Vince T » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:22 am

Spoiler warning!

Wow ... that last fight in the finale with "him" gave me goosebumps. I love how they kinda mirrored the corridor scene in Rogue One.

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:35 am

Also, did anybody else watch past the credits?

Ermagerd...

DarHan
Rebel Alliance

Post by DarHan » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:23 am

I really liked that episode. My only non-spoilerish remark shall be “wow, slowest way to deploy TIEs I’ve ever seen!”
“Red Four, nothing’s gone wrong yet.”
— Hobbie Klivian

JaggedFel
Galactic Empire

Post by JaggedFel » Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:56 pm

Yeah, but it looked cool :P
Ye Olde Galactic Empire Mission Editor v1.15.6
Current software WIPs: TIE Layout and Cutscene Editor, TIE/XvT Cockpit Editor
Libraries / Format specs: *.tie, *.plt, *.tfr, *.lfd , *.act, *.dat image files, *.fnt

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:14 pm

One thing that is kinda bothering me here is why they have never hard of something like Combat Air Patrol? Like why wouldn't you have at least a couple of Ties flying around at all times? That doesn't really compute in my book.

Also while I really like the show I am getting kinda bothered by the military inability of the remnants of the empire. I know stormtroopers cannot hit the broad side of a bantha... but come on. This is really getting stupid. It's at a point where I just don't feel any kind of excitement when a fight starts. It's already clear that nothing can touch Mando (not even lightsabers or the special Mandalorian made Darksaber) but the same appears to be true for everybody that joins with him. And it looks like every stormtrooper has to do an IQ and ability test before they join up and have to be below an already low mark to be able to apply.
The whole 'get to the top of the mountain and get baby Yoda' thing was a huge cringe-fest in my opinion. A bit more realistic fightscenes would do the show a lot of good in my opinion.

Again, really like the show, but there are some parts where I really wish things would be a bit more threatening.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

Det. Bullock
Cadet 2nd Class

Post by Det. Bullock » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:43 am

Forceflow wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:14 pm
One thing that is kinda bothering me here is why they have never hard of something like Combat Air Patrol? Like why wouldn't you have at least a couple of Ties flying around at all times? That doesn't really compute in my book.

Also while I really like the show I am getting kinda bothered by the military inability of the remnants of the empire. I know stormtroopers cannot hit the broad side of a bantha... but come on. This is really getting stupid. It's at a point where I just don't feel any kind of excitement when a fight starts. It's already clear that nothing can touch Mando (not even lightsabers or the special Mandalorian made Darksaber) but the same appears to be true for everybody that joins with him. And it looks like every stormtrooper has to do an IQ and ability test before they join up and have to be below an already low mark to be able to apply.
The whole 'get to the top of the mountain and get baby Yoda' thing was a huge cringe-fest in my opinion. A bit more realistic fightscenes would do the show a lot of good in my opinion.

Again, really like the show, but there are some parts where I really wish things would be a bit more threatening.
At this point anyone who's still with the empire is the kind of person that drinks their kool-aid without asking questions, when you believe that blowing up a few billion civilians is "fighting terrorism" or that killing billions of your own people as punishment for letting the Emperor die (Operation Cinder, seen in several novels and in Battlefront II, name-dropped in The Mandalorian) is legit because the Emperor ordered it you might not be the sharpest tool in the box or you might have lost a few marbles.
Either way it's not the kind of personality conductive to sound military decisions and the few people that still have a functioning brain often get roped into these things (the second Alphabet Squadron novel shows this from the PoV of one of the few competent officers that is flabbergasted by seeing the post-Endor Empire turning into a cult and has to engineer literal suicide missions just to keep morale).