Speed Shader Debris Blur Removal (and appreciation)

This is the place for chit chat! Everything goes even Star Trek! Just make sure to buy the Moderator a drink!

Speed Shader Debris Blur Removal (and appreciation)

JoshuaAryeh
Recruit

Post by JoshuaAryeh » Sun May 30, 2021 11:43 pm

Before anything else... My Gen-X heart went pitter-pat when I saw this AMAZING update was on the way. And then to actually have the game running with these updates? Bliss. Sheer bliss.

I've been enjoying playing around with the game settings with Babu Frik - lots of fun. For my own tastes, I took the bloom down to minimal as I'm partial to the look/feel of the OT.

That said...

Is there any way to disable the "speed streaks"? I'm not talking about space debris, but about the small streaks that seemingly indicate speed while in flight. If this has already been addressed elsewhere, could you please direct me to the correct thread (I've been searching without success)?

It's a very personal preference. For me, the streaks (like debris) takes away from the sense of the dogfighting esthetic from the movies. It's not a problem, as such... Just makes things look more crowded and messy than I want them.

I deeply appreciate the amount of customization control we already have and am BLOWN AWAY by the labor of love that is this latest update (standing on the shoulders of giants).

But could you make the 8-year-old me deliriously happy and help me get back my nice clear sky?

May the Force be with you, my friends!
Last edited by JoshuaAryeh on Mon May 31, 2021 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Mon May 31, 2021 1:38 am

Open SSAO.cfg in a text editor. Search for
enable_speed_shader = 1
And change it to 0 to disable.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

the_stag
Rebel Alliance

Post by the_stag » Mon May 31, 2021 5:14 am

I had this question before as well. Could we change the title of this thread to be more on point to the question? It might help others find the answer easier. Something like Speed Shader Debris Blur Removal might yield some good results.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Mon May 31, 2021 10:36 am

I've recently made some tweaks to Babu Frik and I'm going to add this option to the next version.
So then people can turn it on and off as needed.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

JoshuaAryeh
Recruit

Post by JoshuaAryeh » Mon May 31, 2021 1:47 pm

Thank you so much for this swift reply - it looks great!

And I love the idea of adding this option; nothing like being able to tweak. :)

I'll change the thread title for other people's reference.

Thank you again - just marvelous work!