AV Error: "TieDynamicCockpits_v2.0.exe manifests ransomware behavior and was blocked"

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

AV Error: "TieDynamicCockpits_v2.0.exe manifests ransomware behavior and was blocked"

nww02
Recruit

Post by nww02 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:52 pm

Upon attempting to run the Tie Dynamic Cockpits installer, my AV reported it detected that the application was attempting to adapt and encrypt several system files. One of these was C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\Drs\nvdrssel.bin .

I can't see why a patch for a game should need to alter a file in ProgramData, so I've blocked it.

The full error:

The process C:\Users\Thrawn\Downloads\TieDynamicCockpits_v2.0.exe manifests ransomware behavior and was blocked. Several files were encrypted but we successfully restored all of them. You can find the restored files list below....

Just FYI.

Driftwood
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Driftwood » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:29 am

That's strange, what antivirus are you using?

Historically with this project any virus warnings are all false positives.

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:06 am

That installer should not touch anything outside of the XWA directory. I am pretty sure that when I last used it, it didn't do anything else. It might be a false positive, though it seems to be a bit specific for that.

Could you check the MD5 checksum of the installer in the windows command-line:

Code: Select all

CertUtil -hashfile <path to file> MD5/[code]
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Mon Aug 03, 2020 6:56 am

nww02 wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:52 pm
Upon attempting to run the Tie Dynamic Cockpits installer, my AV reported it detected that the application was attempting to adapt and encrypt several system files. One of these was C:\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\Drs\nvdrssel.bin .

I can't see why a patch for a game should need to alter a file in ProgramData, so I've blocked it.

The full error:

The process C:\Users\Thrawn\Downloads\TieDynamicCockpits_v2.0.exe manifests ransomware behavior and was blocked. Several files were encrypted but we successfully restored all of them. You can find the restored files list below....

Just FYI.
This is the result you should get with CertUtil:

Code: Select all

CertUtil -hashfile "TieDynamicCockpits_v2.0.exe" MD5
MD5 hash of TieDynamicCockpits_v2.0.exe:
4a805a0d244a19a139b79a5fc70c8399
CertUtil: -hashfile command completed successfully.
If this is the same file then I really don't know why your AV reports this. I've installed it on my PC and several other members have as well. No one mentioned anything about it being corrupt or infected.
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

capitanguinea
Galactic Empire

Post by capitanguinea » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:31 am

It could be a dormant virus who operates when another software uses installshield. You have to track back exactly what files were active during installation. If you detect anomalies in files not in use by a program you have your suspectm