XWAU Launch Issue

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

Re: XWAU Launch Issue

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sat Jul 17, 2021 10:55 pm

XWingAlliance.exe can't just disappear.
Sounds like your anti virus protection could be quarantining it
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

WildcatPhoenix
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by WildcatPhoenix » Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:33 pm

Entirely possible. Is there any particular file within the Dynamic Cockpits folder that might trigger such a change (when just copying the XWingAlliance.exe file initially did not trigger this response)?

I keep checking the list of Quarantined programs in McAfee, and it never shows the XWingAlliance.exe or any other files from this. Again, the only item that appears in it is an old Doom .WAD.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:42 pm

No, nothing by copying the folder could do that.
You really really should get rid of McAfee. I work with computers and think its a terrible program. Defender is a lot better.
Just indulge me by removing the program temporarily and seeing if your installation issues persist or not.

WildcatPhoenix
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by WildcatPhoenix » Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:48 pm

I already tried disconnecting from the internet, turning off McAfee, and going through the usual install process (see earlier in the thread). This did not work.

A new wrinkle: I noticed after installing the Patch, my Flight Models folder was suddenly completely empty (??). I tried copying over everything from the working/test folder, but alas this did not fix it.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:03 am

WildcatPhoenix wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:48 pm
I already tried disconnecting from the internet, turning off McAfee, and going through the usual install process (see earlier in the thread). This did not work.

A new wrinkle: I noticed after installing the Patch, my Flight Models folder was suddenly completely empty (??). I tried copying over everything from the working/test folder, but alas this did not fix it.
I didn't mean turning it off, I meant removing Mcafee from the computer totally.
It sounds like you have major issues. Files don't just disappear on their own for no reason.
I think at this point the best thing I can recommend is a complete Windows 10 reinstall.

WildcatPhoenix
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by WildcatPhoenix » Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:52 am

Ace Antilles wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:03 am
WildcatPhoenix wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:48 pm

I didn't mean turning it off, I meant removing Mcafee from the computer totally.
It sounds like you have major issues. Files don't just disappear on their own for no reason.
I think at this point the best thing I can recommend is a complete Windows 10 reinstall.
Ace, this computer is less than 3 months old. I am not running a complete Win10 reinstall, and I really don't think that is necessary.

WildcatPhoenix
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by WildcatPhoenix » Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:16 am

I tried the test folder again.

Uninstalled XWA vanilla and re-installed. Tested, launched and received the standard joystick error.
Installed XWAU and tested. Launched and ran fine.
Created a test folder and copied everything in the GOG/Games/Star Wars- X-Wing Alliance folder into it (now upgraded with XWAU). Tested it and it ran fine.
Installed the 4.0 Patch on the GOG install, tested, encountered the memory error.
Copied the XWingAlliance.exe to the test folder. Tested, ran fine.
Copied the Flight Models folder to the test folder. Tested, ran fine.
Copied the Dynamic Cockpit folder to the test folder. Encountered the memory error.

Looking through the Dynamic Cockpit contents, the majority of the files are just .png or .ac or .dc textures and models. I can't imagine any of those causing the kind of error we're encountering.

There is a file, however, called Dynamic_Cockpit_Internal_Areas.cfg. Any chance this might be causing issues?

WildcatPhoenix
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by WildcatPhoenix » Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:41 am

Continuing with digging deeper into this folder:

Pre-patch, the total file size of the Dynamic Cockpit folder is 2.59 MB.
Post-patch, it appears to be significantly smaller (only 471 KB).

Would someone mind confirming if this is normal or not?

WildcatPhoenix
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by WildcatPhoenix » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:30 pm

Alright, continuing with the file by file installation of the patch.

I copied every single file/folder except for DynamicCockpit over to the test version. The game launched successfully each time until I brought over the individual hooks.

This time, when I launched, I received an error which says:

xwa_hook_main(DInput.dll)
"To call the hook that sets the craft offsets" is not correctly initialized.

The game did launch after this error message, however. I ran a quick flight sim mission and the game collapsed to the desktop upon the start of the mission.

I then got a new error in Event Viewer:
Faulting application name: XWingAlliance.exe, version: 2.0.0.2
Faulting module name: Hook_Engine_Sound.dll, version: 1.0.0.1
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00008b87

There was a second error, this one a .NET Runtime error, which says:
Application: XWingAlliance.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: exception code c0000005, exception address 57508B87

Any thoughts?

--EDIT--

Recopying the XWingAlliance.exe eliminated error #1, but replaced it with:

Faulting application name: XWingAlliance.exe, version: 2.0.0.2
Faulting module name: XWingAlliance.exe, version: 2.0.0.2
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000fbaba

The game can launch now, but collapses in mid-mission instead of at the very start.

WildcatPhoenix
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by WildcatPhoenix » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:35 am

Feel like I'm talking to myself a bit here, but...

Do these errors mean anything to anyone?

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Compatibility Assistant\Store\F:\GOG Galaxy\Games\Star Wars - X-Wing Alliance\XWAU2020.exe
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Compatibility Assistant\Store\F:\GOG Galaxy\Games\Star Wars - X-Wing Alliance\XWAU2020update_v4.0.exe
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Compatibility Assistant\Store\C:\Users\[redacted]\Downloads\ReimageRepair.exe
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Compatibility Assistant\Store\C:\Program Files\Reimage\Reimage Repair\uninst.exe
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Compatibility Assistant\Store\F:\XWAU Test\Star Wars - X-Wing Alliance\Alliance.EXE

(XWAU Test is the name of the second, unpatched test folder I created earlier to see which files are breaking the game).

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:53 am

Where do you see those errors?
It always appears to come back to the 0xc0000005 error. Something on your system appears to be preventing the code injection needed for the hooks to work. But since it's not DEP I have no clue as to why that is :(
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:05 am

There's another thing someone did on Discord that helped him. There's plenty more options available, so maybe play around with those:
go to Windows Security -> App & Browser Control -> Exploit Protection Settings -> Program settings then click "Add program to customize", click "Choose exact file path" and add the path to the XwingAlliance.exe program. Which for me, is D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Wars X-Wing Alliance\XWingAlliance.exe. Then you override "Data Execution Prevention (DEP)" and set it to "off".

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:34 am

Reimage repair is a terrible program that I come across a lot. Often boasts it can fix stuff when it's more adware.
I would recommend removing it and maybe running an adwcleaner scan

WildcatPhoenix
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by WildcatPhoenix » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:59 pm

Forceflow wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:05 am
There's another thing someone did on Discord that helped him. There's plenty more options available, so maybe play around with those:
go to Windows Security -> App & Browser Control -> Exploit Protection Settings -> Program settings then click "Add program to customize", click "Choose exact file path" and add the path to the XwingAlliance.exe program. Which for me, is D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Wars X-Wing Alliance\XWingAlliance.exe. Then you override "Data Execution Prevention (DEP)" and set it to "off".
Oh snap! This worked!

Ran a simulator mission for about 10-15 mins with no crashes. Thank you so much!

@Ace
In regards to Reimage Repair-- yeah, I kept running into a lot of similar issues with other programs. Every website wants to refer you to their pet adware program of choice (they all scan your system for you, point out registry errors and loose code and whatnot, then say "okay, now hand over $50 a month and we'll actually clean this up for you, oh and by the way we're going to sell your browsing data to 3rd parties and overload your PC with adware"... yeesh).

Thank you guys so much for your help! Can't wait to try out the whole game this weekend.

--EDIT--

Lol, or maybe a little later, as I have concluded.... I probably need to invest in a joystick. The mouse emulation works, but, I suck pretty hard with it no matter the sensitivity setting.

Forceflow

Post by Forceflow » Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:52 am

Glad to hear that it worked out finally :) happy flying!