Lenovo M720q Graphics card change question

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

Lenovo M720q Graphics card change question

nofarewell
Recruit

Post by nofarewell » Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:23 pm

Hey All You Fellow Pilots,
My squadron needs me, but I'm not such a great PC expert and I'm quite lost in the details, so I need a more expert opinion.
Downloaded the upgrade and started to play. It is quite slow tbh. Not that much, but just enough to ruin the experience.
First I thought it's the Joystick issue (dead spots), but I realized that it's the game's reaction time that makes the Joy slow.
So I cut to the chase: for such a tiny desktop as the Lenovo M720q, what video card options do I have which ensure a seamless
gameplay? My specs seem to be OK otherwise, I have 8 GB Ram DDR4 2666, i3 8100T 3.1GHz, 6MB cache, an SSD drive.
Not the most recent, but should not be a problem if the graphics were OK I figure and I guess the integrated UHD Graphics 630 is the weak
spot here. Any suggestions, ideas are welcome for a solution regarding this machine. Until I'll have money for a much more expensive
gear, I figure the graphics card should be the one that's changed, but you can even challenge this idea if you have a better one.
Thanks in advance! :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:06 pm

nofarewell wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:23 pm
My squadron needs me, but I'm not such a great PC expert and I'm quite lost in the details, so I need a more expert opinion.
Downloaded the upgrade and started to play. It is quite slow tbh. Not that much, but just enough to ruin the experience.
First I thought it's the Joystick issue (dead spots), but I realized that it's the game's reaction time that makes the Joy slow.
So I cut to the chase: for such a tiny desktop as the Lenovo M720q, what video card options do I have which ensure a seamless
gameplay? My specs seem to be OK otherwise, I have 8 GB Ram DDR4 2666, i3 8100T 3.1GHz, 6MB cache, an SSD drive.
Not the most recent, but should not be a problem if the graphics were OK I figure and I guess the integrated UHD Graphics 630 is the weak
spot here. Any suggestions, ideas are welcome for a solution regarding this machine. Until I'll have money for a much more expensive
gear, I figure the graphics card should be the one that's changed, but you can even challenge this idea if you have a better one.
Yeah the GFX card is very low here. Even google says The UHD Graphics 630 is a very low performing piece of gaming hardware and can probably only run indie system requirements.
You need a full size PC with a decent 3D graphics card ideally.
That said use Babu Frik to mess around with the graphics settings. Even disabling them all may help but ofc not look so good
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

nofarewell
Recruit

Post by nofarewell » Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:11 pm

Ace Antilles wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:06 pm
nofarewell wrote:
Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:23 pm
Yeah the GFX card is very low here. Even google says The UHD Graphics 630 is a very low performing piece of gaming hardware and can probably only run indie system requirements.
You need a full size PC with a decent 3D graphics card ideally.
That said use Babu Frik to mess around with the graphics settings. Even disabling them all may help but ofc not look so good
Thanks! I thought there might be a card that should be placed into the M720q instead of the 630 for not such an astronomical price, I'd just need a confirmation before I buy something totally out of place for my rig. :) You lost me with Babu Frik in this context, is that some kind of a setting in the game? Cheers

blue_max
XWAU Member

Post by blue_max » Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:06 am

Like others have said: the Intel graphics card is the main problem in your system. I've got a laptop with an nVidia 1060 and it runs the game fine at 1920x1080 (I can even run VR at that resolution). At this point, the nVidia 1000 series is somewhat old, so it should also be relatively cheap. If you can find something similar to that from AMD, that should also work too. Just be careful and check that it fits inside your PC first!

nofarewell
Recruit

Post by nofarewell » Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:56 am

blue_max wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:06 am
Like others have said: the Intel graphics card is the main problem in your system. I've got a laptop with an nVidia 1060 and it runs the game fine at 1920x1080 (I can even run VR at that resolution). At this point, the nVidia 1000 series is somewhat old, so it should also be relatively cheap. If you can find something similar to that from AMD, that should also work too. Just be careful and check that it fits inside your PC first!
Thanks very much! I'll check that for compatibility.