[HELP] Can't get rudder to work

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

[HELP] Can't get rudder to work

Kankou
Recruit

Post by Kankou » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:42 pm

Hello,
I've got a Thrustmaster Hotas 4 that I've been trying to configure to work with the XWA upgrade. I normally use the rudder on the front of the throttle for yaw in flight games and the x-axis on the joystick for roll. The rudder works for neither, but when I assign it to yaw it spins the ship around automatically without touching anything. I tried toggling enable rudder on and off and it didn't work at all. I tried just playing without roll assigned but that got too annoying as it seemed the ship would roll by itself at times and I had no way to correct it. I tried assigning roll to the twist axis but it only seems to work some of the time. I'm out of ideas, does anyone have any suggestions?

Kankou
Recruit

Post by Kankou » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:23 pm

I managed to get the twist axis to work for yaw by going into ddraw.cfg and swapping yaw and roll axes, but I still cant get the rudder to do anything.

BattleDog
Rebel Alliance

Post by BattleDog » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:55 pm

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply.

XWA was only originally intended to address four axes, the X, Y, Z and Twist axes. By default X is yaw, Y is pitch, Z is throttle and Twist is roll. The Yaw on your throttle will be a different axis than those four, I imagine, and the game will not recognise it. You could maybe try using Joystick Gremlin or a similar program to switch the axes around so that the game thinks your rudder is the twist axes.
1st Lt Sigurd "BattleDog" Stormhand, Assigned Corsair Squadron, Renegade Wing, CRS Vigilant.

Corsair 8, Squadron TrO.