[SOLVED] XWAU - no input from keyboard & mouse issue

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

[SOLVED] XWAU - no input from keyboard & mouse issue

Quillz
Recruit

Post by Quillz » Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:44 pm

Hi folks,

I just installed XWA, today - fresh install on Steam, under Windows 10. I ran the game and everything seemed fine - loaded the first mission and could use my keyboard to change view, launch, etc. Joystick did what you'd hope.

I then applied the XWAU 2020 Mega Patch.
Keyboard & mouse: Now when I start that first mission, the game does not seem to receive any input from my keyboard - no longer able to change view, launch, etc - or mouse. Joystick inputs seemed fine.

I then applied the XWAU 2020 Update Version 5.0 , hoping this would fix things, but it doesn't.
I have installed the latest hooks and the problem persists.

I have done some searching but can't seem to find anybody else with this problem. Which I find a bit odd.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Q
Last edited by Quillz on Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Quillz
Recruit

Post by Quillz » Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:29 am

Okay, so I did some playing around and, on a whim, ran alliance.exe as administrator.

Now my keyboard and mouse inputs are being detected by the game. Happy days!

Added benefits are:
  • the game seems to be running much, much smoother
  • the opening splash screens (LucasArts and Totally Games) run much smoother and the sound no longer drops out every couple of seconds for a couple of seconds
To run the game as administrator:
  • Navigate to your XWA folder
  • Right mouse click on alliance.exe
  • Chose Properties from the menu
  • Select the Compatibility tab
  • Make sure the tickbox/checkbox next to Run this program as an administrator is ticked/checked

Forceflow
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Forceflow » Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:19 am

Thanks for the update, this is indeed strange. Generally it does help to run games as admin, though I haven't heard of this set of issues before...
Murphy was an optimist! I am a pessimist!
And always remember that a smile is cheaper than a bullet! (District 9)
Webmaster of the X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project

JeremyaFr
XWAU Member

Post by JeremyaFr » Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:30 am

Hello,
A few questions:
In which folder is the game installed? Is it in the "Program Files" folder or in another folder?
How do you launch the game? Via Steam? Via XWA launcher (Alliance.exe)? Via another method?

Quillz
Recruit

Post by Quillz » Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:14 pm

JeremyaFr wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:30 am
In which folder is the game installed? Is it in the "Program Files" folder or in another folder?
The game is installed to:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Star Wars X-Wing Alliance
How do you launch the game? Via Steam? Via XWA launcher (Alliance.exe)? Via another method?
I launch the game from alliance.exe, not via Steam.

I do have COMODO Internet Security Pro running, and I'm wondering if that is the culprit. When I ran alliance.exe as administrator for the first time, COMODO threw up a couple of queeries that didn't occur before: these were to do with dinput and a couple of others - can't remember exactly. I'm going to do some tests and will report back...