broken icons

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

broken icons

Leofus
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Leofus » Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:11 am

my icons are broken and i tried to find a way to fix it. all i could find was an old thread saying it is the "xwa.tab" file. the only reference i found for a tool to edit this file was "dattech mapicon" but i couldnt find it anywhere. i looked in XwaDatEditor-1.0.22 but i couldnt find a way to use it for this. i checked my xwa.tab file and it is 0 bytes.

anyone have any advice or pointers?

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:33 pm

Which icons in particular are you referring to?
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Leofus
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Leofus » Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:49 pm

Ace Antilles wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:33 pm
Which icons in particular are you referring to?
the briefing icons. almost all of them are broken. no idea how it could have happened. i looked in my old xwa backups and none of them even had xwa.tab.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:47 pm

Xwa.tab relates to written language not icons tmk. You can change it in Babu Frik.

Briefing icons could be related to changes to files such as RESDATA.txt, SHIPLIST.txt, Resdata dat files or Frontres\MAPICONS files.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Leofus
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Leofus » Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:40 am

Ace Antilles wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:47 pm
Xwa.tab relates to written language not icons tmk. You can change it in Babu Frik.

Briefing icons could be related to changes to files such as RESDATA.txt, SHIPLIST.txt, Resdata dat files or Frontres\MAPICONS files.
i was going by what i saw here:
http://www.xwaupgrade.com/phpBB3008/vie ... ns#p179664
a thread which you posted in. the problem is discussed and resolved by @JeremyaFr for the user with the same issue as mine.

edit: i tried selecting the english option on babu frik and my xwa.tab remained 0 bytes so i deleted it and tried again and another 0 byte xwa.tab was produced.

looking through the dat files using XwaDatEditor-1.0.22 i can see that all the icons are there. i just need to know how to point the game towards them

edit2: i figured out how i can fix it. i can change the icon string using mxvted. however i am still quite open to less tedious solutions

edit3: ok i am no longer open to less tedious solutions :p if anyone else is having this problem here is how i solved it:
i created a clean installation of xwa+xwau and ran 2 copies of mxvted, one pointed to the clean install exe and one pointed to the install with broken icons.
i went through ship by ship and copied the icon string under the description tab from the clean install to the problem install. you dont need mxvted to do this as you can copy the icon strings from a clean shiplist.txt to the shiplist.txt for your install but i found using mxvted easier and it can be found in the download section. hope this helps!

edit 4: with mxvted i was able to fix every icon except the death star 2 for the endor briefing. i had to edit the shiplist.txt slot 227. the correct icon is 253,77 ,259,83 ,652,381,716,445 just in case :p
Last edited by Leofus on Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:56 am

Shiplist.txt in the root directory defines the coordinates for icon locations per ship for the map briefings. Assuming you are using the default Licon files in Frontres/Mapicons, simply copying the Shiplist.txt file from a clean XWA will fix this problem most likely. If you are using a custom Licon file, you must define new coordinates which you can do using the Mapicon.exe program found in DATTech.

Leofus
Cadet 1st Class

Post by Leofus » Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:03 am

AngeI wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:56 am
Shiplist.txt in the root directory defines the coordinates for icon locations per ship for the map briefings. Assuming you are using the default Licon files in Frontres/Mapicons, simply copying the Shiplist.txt file from a clean XWA will fix this problem most likely. If you are using a custom Licon file, you must define new coordinates which you can do using the Mapicon.exe program found in DATTech.
thanks but i already solved the issue and posted the solution. in the original post i mentioned that i searched for dattech and could not find it anywhere but now i no longer need it. also copying a shiplist.txt from another install will remove any craft that have been added.

AngeI
Lieutenant JG

Post by AngeI » Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:46 am

Leofus wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:03 am
thanks but i already solved the issue and posted the solution. in the original post i mentioned that i searched for dattech and could not find it anywhere but now i no longer need it. also copying a shiplist.txt from another install will remove any craft that have been added.
I know you had solved it, I was just trying to provide some specific information on what controls Map icons for you :)

Please see attached below DatTech.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.