Need Help: spinning cockpit view problem

Any issues with the XWAU or X-Wing Alliance? Please let us know here!

Need Help: spinning cockpit view problem

L.T. Smash
Recruit

Post by L.T. Smash » Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:08 pm

I know I should post in the tech help forum, but this seems to be the most active one.<P>I just purchased XWA and after installing it, I went to the first mission. I launched the craft from the hangar, and upon finishing the launch sequence, the cockpit view began to spin uncontrolably forward. Moving the mouse to move the view does not do anything. The view is stuck.<P>I tried e-mailing lucasarts, but nothing has come back so far. I have a feeling that one of you vetrans knows the answer to this problem; I've seen people talk about it when the demo came out (see site: <A HREF="http://download.com.com/3302-2115_4-906 ... ?pn=1&fb=2" TARGET=_blank>http://download.com.com/3302-2115_4-906 ... =1&fb=2</A> <BR>first two posts)<P>After I get the game working, I plan on dowloading some of the beautiful-looking mods here. (I can't wait).<BR>so, please help me if you are familiar with this problem.

Red_Leader
Rebel Alliance

Post by Red_Leader » Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:15 pm

Did you install the 2.02 Patch? If not, try doing that. If that doesn't work try reinstalling, then add the 2.02 Patch, then try it. I'm not sure if that doesn't work. Hope this helps. :D
"I want my sanity back." - Wedge Antilles
https://www.freewebs.com/redleaderxwa/

L.T. Smash
Recruit

Post by L.T. Smash » Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:39 pm

Thank you for the prompt reply. Because I puchased the game a few days ago, it came with the 2.02 patch integrated into the program. (meaning that there was no seperate install for the patch, just install the game, and the title screen says version 2.02.) I will try, however, to download the patch seperately from lucasarts and apply it to the game. I'm not sure if it would even install on the game, though.<P>In addition, I forgot to mention that I downloaded the demo before purchasing the game and had the SAME ISSUE with the demo. I thought that the full version would fix this.<BR>Hope this new info helps, many thanks.

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:50 pm

Hmmm, I had a similar problem when playing it the first time, although for me not the cockpit was spinning but my entire ship. The reason's that I had a joystic without rudder and rudder's activated by default when installed.<P>Regarding the mous, as far as I experienced mouse look only works in the hangar sequence, don't ask me why :eek:
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

L.T. Smash
Recruit

Post by L.T. Smash » Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:59 pm

so this means that the cockpit view shouldn't be movable at all in regular flight, correct?<BR>If so, then perhaps there is a configuration setting in the game regarding the mouse needs to be changed. I'll get back to you.

L.T. Smash
Recruit

Post by L.T. Smash » Tue Jul 29, 2003 8:06 pm

well, there aren't any settings for the mouse, but I did see that annoying setting for the rudder. That hasn't caused any problems for me though. I did downoad the 2.02 patch, but, as I suspected, The game is already up-to-date. It was worth a shot, though. <BR>Any more suggestions?

Vince T
Fleet Admiral (Administrator)

Post by Vince T » Tue Jul 29, 2003 8:15 pm

Well, you can look around in the cockpit in normal flight by using the numblock keys 2/4/6/8 and with l you can center your view on the target.Apart from that there's no other view option (concerning the cockpit)<P>This is really strange. But according to the comments at DL.com you're not the only one experiencing this.<P>I recommend you try reinstalling(That's the only thing I can think of :()
Your ship, Captain. I need a drink. - Vince Trageton
Vince T's X-Wing HQ - where the bad guys get their gear

L.T. Smash
Recruit

Post by L.T. Smash » Tue Jul 29, 2003 8:41 pm

well, I hate to say it, but reinstalling didn't help. Hopefully, someone has run into this problem before and knows a solution. In the meantime, thanks for your help.

Mr. Bonejangles
Ensign

Post by Mr. Bonejangles » Tue Jul 29, 2003 9:17 pm

I'll bet $20 your joystick is bad. This sort of thing has happened to me before. Try switching it with another if you have one.
"It may not be a wise man that doesn't learn from his mistakes, but its an absolute idiot that doesn't learn from others'." -Frasier

L.T. Smash
Recruit

Post by L.T. Smash » Wed Jul 30, 2003 1:21 am

hmmm, I don't think it's the joystick. The directional control of the ship is fine, its the 3d cockpit camera that spins around, and around, and around...<P>Update: Interesting info from General_Trageton :<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR> Well, you can look around in the cockpit in normal flight by using the numblock keys 2/4/6/8 and with l you can center your view on the target.Apart from that there's no other view option (concerning the cockpit)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>I started messing around with those numbers on my keypad. It seems as if the "5" centers the view as the left mouse button does in the hangar. In addition, when I press the button that is supposed to rotate the camera in the opposite direction to that which it is stuck moving in, the view stops rotating at the point that it is at (down at the floor, out the window, up, back behind the seat, etc...) So, it almost seems as if one of the "numlock keypad" buttons is being read as "pressed" by the game. In turret mode, the view does not spin as it does in cockpit mode.<P>Well, on a side note, I've rigged up a temporary fix. It involves an unopened package of post-it notes, a pencil taped to the top of it, and another pencil taped perpendicular to the first. Using this rig, I can keep the "5" button depressed while having one hand free for the joystick and the other for the keyboard. (Sad!) :roll:<P>Keep posting possible solutions though, because the tape keeps falling apart, and my "5" key will wear out sooner rather than later!

JM
XWAU Member

Post by JM » Wed Jul 30, 2003 6:52 am

Does your joystick have a hat switch? I suppose that if it doesn't but Windows thinks it does that it could also think that the hat switch is pushed over to rotate your pilot POV.<P>Then again this would show up in other games as well amd I think Windows would have noticed the missing hat switch.
XWAEG. <A HREF="http://www.btinternet.com/~jmdare/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.btinternet.com/~jmdare/</A> Last updated 24th July 2005

Ol
Rebel Alliance

Post by Ol » Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:22 am

Try going into the options menu and select Controller Options (or something like that :))<BR>In that menu go to remap joystick buttons.<BR>In that menu change the Joystick POV options so that each of them is set to none.<P>THat 'should' sort out the problem. It may be worth checking out what your joystick settings are in windows as well. Hope that helped.

Ray Borlin
Cadet 3rd Class

Post by Ray Borlin » Wed Jul 30, 2003 9:31 am

It sounds more likely that rather than some sort of super-weird software problem, your keybourd has a key or two busted.
I like otter pops. especially the purple ones.

Igma
Rebel Alliance

Post by Igma » Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:23 pm

If you disable the cockpit you can't rotate the view. Try this after you started. By default it's the "." key.

isildur
Cadet 1st Class

Post by isildur » Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:39 pm

I dunno but check to see if the Num Lock or Scroll Lock keys are enabled or disabled before you start the game. The scroll lock should be off. Maybe it doesn't matter...

Avenger One
Captain

Post by Avenger One » Wed Jul 30, 2003 4:56 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by L.T. Smash:<BR><STRONG>I know I should post in the tech help forum</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>'nuff said. I mean I would have helped you, I always check the tech section.
In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?

TonyShiva
Recruit

Post by TonyShiva » Fri May 07, 2021 2:59 pm

Is there any solution to this problem.. ive been searching solution for hours..

TonyShiva
Recruit

Post by TonyShiva » Fri May 07, 2021 3:00 pm

Is there a solution to this problem. Because iam searching for one for hours. But finally found some one talking about it just now.

Ace Antilles
Admiral (Moderator)

Post by Ace Antilles » Fri May 07, 2021 8:02 pm

Moved post to the Bug report section.

TonyShiva wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 3:00 pm
Is there a solution to this problem. Because iam searching for one for hours. But finally found some one talking about it just now.
Try going into the Game Controller Options menu in game.
Set Rudder Enabled to No.

That works for some people.
Chief XWAU Team annoying nitpicker.
Ace Antilles - The X-Wing Outpost

Demis_Russos
Cadet 4th Class

Post by Demis_Russos » Mon May 10, 2021 12:44 am

Ace Antilles wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 8:02 pm
Moved post to the Bug report section.

TonyShiva wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 3:00 pm
Try going into the Game Controller Options menu in game.
Set Rudder Enabled to No.

That works for some people.
Set Rudder Enabled to "No" worked for me. I hope this doesn't affect any future missions though.

Dr.Zarkov
Recruit

Post by Dr.Zarkov » Thu May 27, 2021 7:31 pm

It's a bit of a late reply, but I ran into the same issue as well. Turning off the rudder in the menu works. But then you don't have a rudder. In my case the issue was being caused by a POV hat. It was fixed by toggling the "Use POV as regular buttons" option on the settings page.